Can it be done?

Andy

Reaction score
hey all,

I'm interested to know how many guys here are in a relationship and if so what you think the survival rate is. As obviously during RT your away for long periods of time and the mental effects it would have on you, missing them etc. Could have an effect on your performance at ctc.

I'm not saying having a bird would stop anyone from joining as there are fish in the sea an all that but there is only one Royal Marines Commandos is it one or the other or can you really have both?

Your thoughts fellas?

ICTTech

Reaction score
i don;t think it has to be all or nothing, i think it comes down to two understanding people and a girlfriend that is pretty independant and the same to you , if your two clingy to each other it won't work in my mind

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i live with my girlfriend mate and we've got a mortgage together. its *text deleted* be really hard for my girlfriend being away, amd me too i suppose. i think the relationship is strong enough but we'll have to see. its something we've obviously discussed in great length and i'll have to make sure i use the long weekends (if i get that far!!) to see her and go home. However, its not something that will stop my overall goal

zooby

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im hoping it will work, been with my girl for just over 4 years now, was going to apply 2 years ago when i turned 16 but somehow let her talk me out of it at tht point, but now i'm ready for it and i am kind of glad that I have had the extra time to prepare myself mentally and physically, my girlfriend still isnt keen on me joining probably due to the fact her uncle is a royal and just divorced his wife, I would hate to look back in 10 -15 years time and regret not doing it and only reason not to was because of a highschool romance. Even though it has been 4 years now :P

Zefan

Reaction score
It definitely can.

My parents met during their time in the RAF and were posted away from each other for years.

They stayed together despite being thousands of miles apart for months on end. I understand it's a remarkable thing (especially as they were very young), but I like to think that I'm equally as strong as them.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
in my opionion it depends on your girlfriend and how strong she is as an individual. if she can cope by herself and not seeing you for too long then it will work, but if she cant go a day without calling you then theres a slim chance.

i've also had people try and talk my out of going in the marines, especially my dad, god knows why though, and my girlfriend because her dad was in the navy and she has heard all the war stories. but i have never let anyone ever talk me out of doing what i want to do. at the end of the day its your life your living not theirs.. (oh and im not saying your being talked out of it *text deleted*, just putting my comment in with what someone else said)

zooby

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah she talked me out of it, but it was for the better just she didnt know it ;) *text deleted*

got my date for phsychometric test this morning , its becoming a reality now :D