Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Can you be affiliated with a politcal party?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by chronic, Mar 21, 2019.

1. chronic

chronic New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi everyone,

I'm a member of a mainstream political party and was just wondering if this is permitted it or not.

I am being no means a far left extremist or far right but I'd like to know the stance of the military on this.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chronic

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

My guess is, that if you wish to join as an officer then you leave your political views at home. You just need to look at the retired Generals, Admirals and other former high ranking officers, who suddenly find a voice to criticise HMG and its policies, after they have left service.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. chronic

chronic New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi Caversham

Thank you for your response.

My membership isn't really important to me as I'm not involved that much. However is it the sort of thing I'd be marked down for on POC? If I was to talk about it a lecture or discussion?

Thanks,

Chronic

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'll throw my opinion in. Consider choosing another topic which is interesting but uncontroversial.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I echo what @Chelonian says!! Interesting and not controversial is the way forward!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Ex Pongo

The Queen’s Regulations paragraph J5.581 states:
    • Regular personnel are not to take any active part in the affairs of any political organisation, party, or movement. They are not to participate in political marches or demonstrations.
    • No restriction is to be placed upon the attendance at political meetings of such personnel, provided that uniform is not worn, Service duties are not impeded and no action is taken which would bring the Service into disrepute.
    • Whilst organisations may not be allied to any particular political party, an organisation that seeks to effect change to the laws or customs of this country can be considered to be a political organisation or movement. The active participation of a Serviceman in the activities of such an organisation could well be prejudicial to good order and Service discipline.
    • It should be made clear to all ranks that they represent their Service, particularly when in uniform, and, irrespective of their personal beliefs and feelings, it may well be prejudicial to Service discipline for them to participate in, or appear to encourage, any controversial rally, protest march or demonstration, as such participation is incompatible with their duty as soldiers. They may not disseminate propaganda on behalf of any political or quasi-political organisation.

Besides stop posting on here and go sort Brexit out for us. Cheers.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. chronic

chronic New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi Johnny_ anonie,

Thank your for your response.

That's cleared things up for me

Regards,

Chronic.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  8. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Ex Pongo

No need to be so formal.

A simple

“Oi! Medic! Cheers mate, what’s your bank account details so I can forward you the money for a pint”

Would suffice.

Jokes aside pal, best of luck with it all!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  9. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    No problem with being in a political party, lots of officers are. Politics is, however, like religion in that it is best kept to yourself as it can cause overly heated debate which is not what you need at POC.

• Like Like x 2