Canadian Looking to Enlist as an Officer

NS-Rover

Reaction score
Good day to you all.
I am a 24 year old university student residing in Canada. I am a dual Canadian/British citizen as my parents emigrated from the UK before I was born. Currently I am actively pursuing a career as a Royal Marines Officer hopefully specializing in Mountain Warfare. I come from a family of long distance runners, and during my time at University I have kept my self in good shape through varsity level sports such as Football and Rugby.
I have been involved in para-military organizations for the majority of my life. For the past three years I have supported myself through my education by being employed as a rescue station Commander/Coxswain with the Canadian Coast Guard's Inshore Rescue Program (the governmental equivalent of the RNLI). My experiences as a mariner both in Canada and overseas has been one of the cornerstones behind my ability to effectively contribute in the aid of persons in distress. I would like to have the opportunity to continue to contribute to making a difference by utilizing my own skill sets and relying on a team structure to achieve set objectives.
Now in my final year I am planning on attending a maritime college in England for six months this coming November to obtain commercial maritime Officer of the Watch qualifications. During this training period, it is my hope to complete the application process and enroll in the officer class for Sept 2009.
If anyone can answer a couple of my questions there is a cold Pint waiting for you just across the pond on the East Coast of Canada.

1) As my high-school education qualifications are different from that of the UK, will this hinder my acceptance into the Officer Program. Will this matter if I have an Undergraduate Degree when I apply?
2) Have there been other Commonwealth Officer's in the Royal Marines before? And have they been permitted to engage in combat operations?
3) If I can still hump it like the rest of everyone else will my age of potentially 25-26 be another roadblock in me achieving my objectives?

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the creators/administrators for providing all of us with this form. The information I have been able to obtain from this site has been highly beneficial in reaffirming my commitment to becoming a Royal Marine Officer, but it has also provided me with a wealth of general information.
Cheers
NS-Rover.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi mate,

welcome to the site, unfortunately not the best to answer your questions but sure someone will be along in the morning (UK Time) and get some answers to your questions.

All the best
GW

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's morning (0237hrs here), just finnished work (yawn).

Can't answer the qualifications question nor the officer question although I don't belive this would be a problem at all as I can't see why it could be.. but I can say your age is nothing. You can join up untill your 31st birthday and there's several people on this forum around that 26 mark and also I know 1 guy from Canada (Near Toronto) joining too.

So.. Pull that 1/3rd of a pint I'm on the next plane.

lil_dinger_bell

Reaction score
Hey Hey, So I am a fellow Canuck and I have successfully obtained both a POC and an AIB, which are coming quite soon (may5th-may10th)

your highschool is fine asd long as you did well in maths and took it to grade 10-11. (my highschool marks were dismell, but i went to college for a year then to uni and got my degree) - so educationally your fine.

I was born in the UK and came to glorious Canada when i was 7 so I had lived there for a while. (7 years) Originally they told me that I couldnt become an officer because I hadnt resided in the UK for 5 years prior to my application, for security reasons. I told them my father was in the RM, the Regiment, and holds a high security clearence in Canada....after that email they allowed me to continue. I dont know if there have been any other common wealth officers but my logically mind tells me yes...the only problem they have is security clearence because as an officer you are trusted with alot more info and intel then a regular.

your age will be a roadblock, you need to be 25!! before the september intake..my birthday is september 23 and i turn 26! but because the 2008 batch is on September 1st..i am fine, age wise. (do you get it?)

It has taken me about 7 months from the word go to get my POC and AIB, I have been handed over to three seperate Navy handlers and its been a tedious long and sometimes frustrating process.

I hope that helps brother....and because I live in Canada (toronto) i'll take you up on that brew....pint of kieths will do ;)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

Just to clarify: you need to start Officer Training at Lympstone, at the very latest, the day before your 26th Birthday if joining as a RM Officer.

For definitive advice with regard age requirements and academic equivalency, you need to provide all original academic certificates when you attend your preliminary Sift Interview with your Area Careers Liaison Officer in order that they may be verified and your academic eligibility confirmed. The fact that you may have a degree does not negate the basic requirements for Canadian equivalents of the 5 UK GCSE's A*-C grades and A2 levels totalling 180 UCAS points. (You can check UCAS points HERE)

Your point of contact should be obtained by contacting the Overseas Desk at London AFCO. (The email on this website is incorrect & should read: nr-london-ca2@rncareers.mod.uk)

Good luck!

lil_dinger_bell

Reaction score
Ya, sorry I wasn't too too concrete with my answers...but from experience your education (highschool & a uni degree) do cover the UK's GSE's and A levels equivelant..and then some.

This is as long as you took and did well (C average) in math and english. (which are mandatory subjects in highschool)

Secondly, as Ninja touched on proper, is the fact that you have to be 25 for the first day of September intake at lympstone, even if your 26th birthday is the second day of YO trianing.

Despite age (becuase I dont know your birthday) your only problem lies in their residency requirments which state you must live in the UK 5 years prior to applying for a POC/AIB.

As i mentioned above I may have had an upper hand on the residency stipulation but that seems(and your age) to be the only problem(s).

Another problem for myself and for you-to-come is that once you obtain a POC/AIB date and successfully pass both (gulp) you can still be denied a residency waiver, which sucks because you cannot get a commsion.... but you can only pass both and hope really.

This is solid info, as I have been through it for the past year but do as Ninja suggested and get a hold of a general RM AFCO and the RN admirality board ASAP.

Later

New Threads