Can't do Pull-Ups

150Doc150

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I'm having real difficulty doing even a single pull-up.

I find the Pull-ups the hardest to build up to, because at least with the other tests you can always run a little further, do one more push-up etc but I find I'm just flailing below the pull-up bar.

As I say, I'm yet to be complete 1 full, good quality, body-weight pull-up.

I've bought a pull-up bar for home, with the resistance bands so have been trying to do as many with the bands as possible.

I feel the aching and effort on my arms, and not my back, am I doing something wrong technique wise?

Essentially, what can I be doing to build up to proper pull-ups? Do things like the Fintan Circuit help, or is that just for general fitness?

pofwales24

Reaction score
Have you tried negatives? These are where you jump up with your chin over the bar and then hold yourself up for as long as possible in the pull-up position. You'll slowly start to sink down, but keep trying to resist it. Try this for 10 reps - will make a huge difference.
Should look like this:

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Start with negative pull ups. Set the bar so you can jump up and have the bar level with your collar bone, then lower yourself as slowly as possible until you have fully extended your arms. Let go of the bar and repeat.

Start basic, such as 3x3, then keep building up until you can do say 5x5.

From there, you should have built the strength to start incorporating full pull ups. So again, start basic 3x3 but the first rep of each set is a pull up.

With time, you'll get there.

LUFC1999

Reaction score
Start with negative pull ups. Set the bar so you can jump up and have the bar level with your collar bone, then lower yourself as slowly as possible until you have fully extended your arms. Let go of the bar and repeat.

Start basic, such as 3x3, then keep building up until you can do say 5x5.

From there, you should have built the strength to start incorporating full pull ups. So again, start basic 3x3 but the first rep of each set is a pull up.

With time, you'll get there.
Negative pull ups are definitely where to start if you are having problems with a normal pull up. 100% agree with your points

Chelonian

Reaction score
Will let you know how I get on.

Please do. As stated by @Illustrious with perserverance it will come.

Body weight exercises, functional muscle stuff; it's a funny old thing.
My ten-year-old niece can belt out more good form pull ups than some muscular adult gym bunnies. Strength-to-body-weight ratio and all that stuff I guess.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If your gym has it you can also try assisted pull ups too as well as lat pulldowns. These exercises will build strength in your back. However I would prioritise pull ups and negative pull ups to be the main element of your session. Think of the assisted pull ups and pull downs as "secondary exercises"

Go smash it!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I'm having real difficulty doing even a single pull-up.

I find the Pull-ups the hardest to build up to, because at least with the other tests you can always run a little further, do one more push-up etc but I find I'm just flailing below the pull-up bar.

As I say, I'm yet to be complete 1 full, good quality, body-weight pull-up.

I've bought a pull-up bar for home, with the resistance bands so have been trying to do as many with the bands as possible.

I feel the aching and effort on my arms, and not my back, am I doing something wrong technique wise?

Essentially, what can I be doing to build up to proper pull-ups? Do things like the Fintan Circuit help, or is that just for general fitness?

I know how you feel!

I was so frustrated myself with not being able to do any I was told pat pulldowns and assisted pull up machine done that for several months didn’t do anything for me.
I thought it was being to heavy at 15 odd stone but even when I got down to the 12 stone range didn’t make a difference!

I bought the red and black resitance bands and I also have a doorway pull up bar which got me from not being able to barely hold myself up for more than few seconds to now being able to do 3 within 6 weeks it took me.

Also I purchased a hand grip where I do like 50 in each hand and I’m pretty sure this has helped me a lot also as they work your wrist and forearms extremely well and create a proper burn so maybe purchase one of them.

When your doing the pull up or using the resitance band , pull up with your elbows as if your trying to elbow your pockets this will work your back and is where I went wrong as I was always trying to pull myself up using my arms this will work your back and you will know this when it becomes sore.

Good luck don’t give up on them do this and you’ll be fine!

Reaction score
Negative pull ups and also the lat pull down wide grip.. Just practice practice practice... The best way to get better at something is doing it over and over and over again. You can do this mate!

Latest posts

New Threads