Can't seem to get press ups up. Any advice?

RMR_NOD

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Having trouble with my press ups, no matter what I do I just can't seem to get them up.
Have tried just doing them constantly as much as possible but haven't had much luck with that.
Trying doing them weighted and non, but again not much improvement.
Any advice much appreciated!

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Around 20-25.

I would personally use the gainers method mate, works wonders to break plateaus.

To do a gainer routine you need to find your max press ups to the beep using the Royal Marines press up test which can be found on YouTube. Once you’ve done this, take that number and divide by four. For example, 30/4 = 7.5 so I would go for 8. Day 1 you would do three sets of 8 press ups. Literally 8, 8, 8. Each day you add one rep to one set, so tomorrow you would do 9, 8, 8 and then the next day you would do 9, 9, 8.

it’s a slow process but follow it until you’re up to 40, 40, 40 or even 50 and you’ll max the press up test at PRMC.

You can follow the same program for sit ups and pull ups too.

RMR_NOD

Reaction score
I would personally use the gainers method mate, works wonders to break plateaus.

To do a gainer routine you need to find your max press ups to the beep using the Royal Marines press up test which can be found on YouTube. Once you’ve done this, take that number and divide by four. For example, 30/4 = 7.5 so I would go for 8. Day 1 you would do three sets of 8 press ups. Literally 8, 8, 8. Each day you add one rep to one set, so tomorrow you would do 9, 8, 8 and then the next day you would do 9, 9, 8.

it’s a slow process but follow it until you’re up to 40, 40, 40 or even 50 and you’ll max the press up test at PRMC.

Great, would I be able to do this aswell as max effort sets? Or would that get rid of the effect of gainers?

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Great, would I be able to do this aswell as max effort sets? Or would that get rid of the effect of gainers?

I would personally just follow the gainers routine for Press Ups, Sit Ups and Pull Ups - Then I would conduct a RMFA every 4 weeks to see how you’re progressing.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Do you have rest days at all or just do it every day? Also do you do the sets one after the other, say with 30 secs rest between or throughout the day?
Thanks

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Take rest days as required, but I’d do it everyday and have at least 1 rest day during the week. Yes, do one set after another.