Cap badge

bootneck54

Reaction score
Bootneck History!

:saythat: On the 29th April 1802,Marines were styled 'Royal Marines' by George 111 'For meritious service'.This was on the recomendation of the Admiral of the fleet the Earl St Vincent sir John Jarvis,who reflected in 1823 that he had never known'an appeal made to them for honour, courage or loyalty that they did not more than realise my highest expectations.If ever the hour of real danger come to England they will be found the country's Sheet Anchor.'

The good Lord St Vincent once contemplated another recommendation--that the British Army,apart from the Household Troops and the Royal Artillery,should be converted into the Royal Marines.:iagree:

Just a small snippet of information which may be of some use when asked.Aye jr

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
In addition to the above, to signify the Royal status, the current beret badge has a lion atop the crown & the lion also has a crown on his bonce.

The other bits'*'bobs of the globe & laurel badge, underneath the big moggy is the battle honour "Gibraltar" commemorating the capture & defence of Gib by the Marines, who weren't Royal for another 98 years, in 1704.

The Laurel Leaves surrounding the globe reflect the capture of Belle Isle (Not "Bel Air" of the Will Smith, Fresh Prince variety as one of my interviewees once stated with confident aplomb) in 1761. After George the 3rd, George the 4th got a bit threaders with the Royals getting all the battle honours as the badge had to reflect each one earned. Being a Royal himself, he had a flash of inspiration and gave them a Globe to indicate they were honoured all around the world. Snag solved.

Going back to after the Gib Battle honour, but before the Laurels, underneath the globe is the "Fouled Anchor" awarded in 1747 as the badge of the Lord High Admiralty- ie: part of the Navy.

The bottom of the badge has the motto "Per Mare, Per Terram", which contrary to poplar folklore doesn't mean "By Horse, By Tram" but means "By Sea, By Land".

You'll all need to know that lot parrot fashion for your interviews.

bootneck54

Reaction score
:shakehands:The Royal Marine Corps,Per Mare per Terram,1st appeared on the caps of the Marines at the battle of Bunkers Hill 1775,It is also of interest that the Motto Per Mare Per Terram,is the motto of the Clan McDonald,and that the son of the Jacobite Heroine Flora McDonald,served with the Royal Marines at Bunker Hill.aye JR

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Could someone please confirm that this information is correct?
fdgf said:
The lion and crown added in 1802 when KING GEORGE III made the marines a royal regiment

Battle honour 'Gibraltar' added by KING GEORGE *text deleted* because in 1704, 1900 british and 400 dutch Marines successfully captured and defended the island for 9 months.

The Great Globe added in 1827 to replace the marines 109 battle honours

Laurels added in 1761, granted for gallantry shown during the capture of belle island

Fouled anchor added in 1747 because the RMs are part of the navel service

“Per Mare Per Terram” By Sea By Land .RMs motto.
I am unsure of the date that gibralter was added, any help would be nice!

EDIT: ty

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The badge of the Royal Marines

The Lion and Crown denotes a 'Royal' regiment. George III conferred this honour in 1802 'in consideration of the very meritorious services of the Marines in the late war'.
'The Great Globe' itself surrounded by laurels was chosen by George *text deleted* as a symbol of the Marines' successes in every quarter of the world. The laurels are believed to honour the gallantry they displayed during the capture of Belle Isle in 1761.
'Gibraltar' represents the capture and defence of that territory in 1704. It was considered by George *text deleted* to be one of the most glorious achievements of the Royal Marines and he decided that the words should represent the honours they had earned.
The 'Fouled Anchor', incorporated into the emblem in 1747, is the badge of the Lord High Admiral and shows that the Corps is part of the Royal Navy.
'Per Mare Per Terram', 'By Sea By Land' the motto, of the Royal Marines, is believed to have been used for the first time in 1785.

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The Laurells are there to comemorate the taking of Belle Isle.

gibbo

Reaction score
i should know this.......

hello lads, interview is wednesday and i know i should know this but can someone please tell me what the elements of the corps badge all mean?

thanks very much

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I've got mine on Tuesday, good luck. I have this set as my homepage and just have a look every time i open up my Internet, just roll your mouse over the different parts of the cap badge.

The Royal Marines Cap Badge

gibbo

Reaction score
oh nice 1 i never really tought of that, thanks mate, best of luck with yours, let me know how everything goes. we might even be on PRMC together?

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
We could do, i don't think we'll get a pjft this year though, after my interview i'm going to continue with my application after christmas anyway.

cliffhanger

Reaction score
:weird:
Hi,

On that link, it says "The Lion and the Crown" was presented by King George III in 1802, then it says "Gibraltar" was presented by King George *text deleted* in 1704.

How did King George the III manage to present The Lion and Crown After King George *text deleted* presented "Gibraltar"? Surely it should be the other way round! :toung:

Appreciate any help!

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* i got mine on the 2nd too:P gd luck lads, im trying to cram some revision in!:rock: