Cardio Setting On Treadmills

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
The treadmills at my gym have a setting for a cardio workout. You enter your age and it takes your heart rate from sensors on the handles. From your age, it tells you what the best working heart rate is for you, and then adjusts the speed and incline to get you to that heart rate, and keep you there. It tends to be very high incline, quite a low speed - it feels more like walking up a very steep hill, than it does running. I hate running on treadmills and do most of my runs outside, but on days where I can't seem to get myself outside to do a run, I get down the gym and do some swimming, cycling, rowing and I'm thinking of including a session on the treadmill on the cardio setting.

My question is, what is this doing for me, and how beneficial is it? My heart rate stays in the right zone, but my breathing doesen't tend to be very heavy, like it would be on a run. Any thoughts?

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You could find that the machine is not exactly up to scratch with its measurements and understanding how fit you are as everything it does is an approximation calculated by statistics really. Or that you just have a better rythym/tempo/pace on a treadmill and can maintain your heart rate with far better breathing.

As for the rowing, swimming and cycling put together with the running its all good for you and gives you a change, i often do the same and by looking at my little log book it must be beneficial as my times and how hard i find different routes are constantly getting better.

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You dont want to use the cardio setting mate. the speed or anything isnt out (i work in a gym and think the cardio things s*text deleted*t *text deleted*)

training for the marines, and during RT theres not really going to be a time when *text deleted* heart rate stays in that area during a run. Best thing to do would be to use the manuel setting or better yet the random 1, put it on level 10 and just run at an uncomfortable pace, not really looking at your heart rate. If *text deleted* breathing heavy and find it hard 2 keep a conversation, then *text deleted* heart rates at a good level mate.
the cardio and fat burn on treadmills are just a stupid sales gimmick!!
:saythat:

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Tredmills are *text deleted**text deleted*, end of story!