Career options

Williamosaurus

Reaction score
I've just done the eye test in boots and before we began the test the optician told me he couldn't discuss the results of the test afterards with me but that I was borderline and should prepare for the worst. I'm pretty chilled about it considering my dream career is on the line for something I have no control over. Was just wondering what roles are there in the military for me IF I fail. My plan B for the meantime is to join another branch - get lasik while serving and once the time comes where I'm elible. Join the Royal Marines. If I have to take a long hard road to get there so be it. I've done 1 year of engineering degree if this helps me to do something in the Navy. Any replies are much appreciated.l

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Unfortunately those who.do not meet the eyesight entry standard for Royal Marines will not meet the entry standard for the Royal Navy either. It is rare for spmeone not to already know their eyesight falls below the entry standard.

The Army have slightly different standards but I don't know what they are or whether that would work in your favour unfortunately. It's certainly worth getting a second eyetest to confirm your grading and/or checking out the Army website.

Best of luck.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I've just done the eye test in boots and before we began the test the optician told me he couldn't discuss the results of the test afterards with me...

Presumably he said he couldn't discuss the specific service career implications of the test results. He would certainly be obliged to discuss any clinical abnormalities revealed by the test. Because they are your eyes, after all, regardless of who pays for the test.

Ask the optician at Boots for a copy of your optical prescription if you weren't given one. As Ninja suggests you could get another independent test and then compare results.

Just to manage expectations, doing this may not give you the answer you want but at least you'll know where you stand. Best of luck.

Williamosaurus

Reaction score
Beforehand, I knew for certain I wouldnt achieve VA1 but thought I would pass VA3 for sure. All he said (the optician) was that my eyesight was borderline and that I should have a plan B. Whether that means I cant be a sniper or I cant join at all remains to be seen. My left eye is -3.75 and right eye -2.25. I thought they had to be within -6 which is why I started my application. Also, my eyes are completely healthy its just a case of whether my vision is good enough. I mentally prepared myself for this eventuality regardless of outcome. Ill continue as normal and see what the AFCO medical examiner says. Thanks guys all the best!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Ill continue as normal and see what the AFCO medical examiner says.

Good man. The service decision will be the definitive one.

I don't understand why some health professionals tell people that they can't express an opinion but then do so. -banghead-

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
My left eye is -3.75 and right eye -2.25. I thought they had to be within -6 which is why I started my application.
If that's your uncorrected prescription that does sound, on the face of it, as though you are within limits but if that's your corrected vision.

Opticians do make mistakes so it's definitely worth getting a second opinion. Fingers crossed it goes your way.

Good luck

Owen91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I failed my eyesight test, had laser eye surgery and applied a year later.

There's always a way if you want it.

Make sure you get LASEK not LASIK!

SarriesFan

Reaction score
Just stay positive and keep training mate because you should get your answer relatively quickly. I know exactly what it's like to be at the mercy of something you can't control, after all, I'm still not in a position to appeal my PMU after 2 months of being told about I can't progress.

Collieryboy

Reaction score

Can I ask why LASEK not LASIK? My understanding is it only done if necessary now as the healing times are longer and its much more painful. I had LASIK but my dad had to have LASEK because his corneas were too thin. His recovery was horrible but mine were better than 20/20 after 24 hours.

Williamosaurus

Reaction score

Thats reassuring and the optician did say that IF I failed the test - laser eye surgery would correct my vision to sufficiently pass an eye test a year down the line.
Just stay positive and keep training mate because you should get your answer relatively quickly. I know exactly what it's like to be at the mercy of something you can't control, after all, I'm still not in a position to appeal my PMU after 2 months of being told about I can't progress.
I stepped up my training schedule so no problems there, not changing anything until ive had an answer from the AFCO (might still keep my fitness plan going anyways). Im sorry to hear about your PMU I hope you can get it sorted out.

I must say I havent heard anything from the AFCO regarding a medical and I sent my documents away 2 weeks ago. My online royal navy application portal has disappeared from existence as I went to check it today. It doesnt even recognise my email to resend activation and my password was autosaved on my device. My interview is this Tuesday at 9:30 and I cant even phone up today and see whats what cause its a bank holiday -banghead-. Ive managed to get myself a couple of jobs and ive applied for a few college places since I sat the eye test so soften the blow just in case. Im prepped and ready for the interview ill just have to wait and "see" ;). Thanks for the replies lads I wish you all well.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LiamJC Career Options General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 18
Nathan100101 career options POC Section 16
D Officer Career Discussion POC Section 5