Careers Post RM

mactavish80

Reaction score
Hi guys,

But of a strange one here, but bear with. Currently stuggling to bring the parents on side to my application, as they think I'll be left out in the cold without a leg to stand on after a career in the RM, even as an officer. What I'm wondering is, what kind of career path can you go on afterwards, and how can a career in the RM help towards that? Also, how can you go about making a career of the RM until retirement?

I'm currently planning on getting qualified in project management, chartered and with something like PRINCE2 as well - is this faesable?

Comments from anyone serving currently are much welcome,

Cheers

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Without wanting to sound like a careers advisor:

Depends on a lot. What qualifications do you go in with, what do you come out with. I believe the corps can offer education up to degree level. Even if you don’t gain any academic quals within the corps, the ones you took in are still just as valid. You can also gain experience that no other careers will give you including world travel, speaking to and working with people of many different cultures which is very attractive nowadays. You’ll also have some quals from whatever specs you go into as well as job experience in them which could translate to civvy street for example as chef (just off the top of my head, not everyone’s favourite spec). Finally, being ex-forces shows discipline etc which is sought after particularly in similar jobs such as police and security.

Plenty on here who know firsthand having had jobs post corps but I hope this helps in the meantime.

Jaguar2187

Reaction score
Not wishing to hijack the thread, but can the corps pay for you to study a degree whilst you're serving?
I'm pretty sure the army do this.

http://www.army.mod.uk/training_education/26687.aspx

Any clarification on this would be appreciated; not sure I want to go to uni, however I'd like to be degree qualified without getting massively in debt if possible.

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Think carefully about what you want to do if or when you leave and how that balances with your career.

For example- the Driver sq offers getting expensive driving licences all paid by the Navy and will make you easily employable when you leave, however will that give you career satisfaction?

Chelonian

Reaction score
Currently stuggling to bring the parents on side to my application, as they think I'll be left out in the cold without a leg to stand on after a career in the RM, even as an officer.

They don't understand; but in a literal rather than a casual disrepectful sense. They have your welfare in mind, which is what I do with my own extended family. No disrespect to your parents but maybe they are about my age (I'll reach the ancient age of 58 this year, Jesus wept!) and they may have no direct experience of service careers so often there are prejudices.

Which makes it down to you to gently educate them. Perhaps encourage them to challenge their own preconceptions? Suggest that they engage with the Partners & Parents sub-forum on this site? They won't find any propaganda here. Let them make their own minds up. Best of luck.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi guys,

But of a strange one here, but bear with. Currently stuggling to bring the parents on side to my application, as they think I'll be left out in the cold without a leg to stand on after a career in the RM, even as an officer. What I'm wondering is, what kind of career path can you go on afterwards, and how can a career in the RM help towards that? Also, how can you go about making a career of the RM until retirement?

I'm currently planning on getting qualified in project management, chartered and with something like PRINCE2 as well - is this faesable?

Comments from anyone serving currently are much welcome,

Cheers

Your question about making the most till retirement is the easiest to answer so will do it first.
Be proactive, be motivated and be always try to do or think outside the box.

There is a learning centre on every unit, and there’s always funding and time available to use it. And generally your troop boss should be keen on you being proactive with extra education as long as it doesn’t affect your job.

As an officer you will have more of a network for work/options available to you, but as a Marine aswell, you are only limited by your imagination and sadly in this day your CV.

Many employers are really keen for former military, especially when it’s backed up with qualifications.

mactavish80

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, some sound insights.

Having a nice sit down chat with the parents tomorrow night, even made a cute flow chart to illustrate it all

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
My son decided what he was going to do when he came out and did the required courses for resettlement. He had a job lined up with FTRS, in recruiting, but cancelled it as he was about to start because of an offer in his chosen field.

He entered this new job at entry level, with fairly lousy wages but his work ethic, cemented by his time in the Corps allowed him to get another job within 6 months. At one and a half times the wage plus a company car.

Again, his work ethic has him promised a wage rise within the next few months.

He's also part owner of his own business, again in his chosen field. Should his plans succeed, another year or two will see him comparatively well off, with an ongoing, highly paid career for as long as he wants it.

mactavish80

Reaction score
My son decided what he was going to do when he came out and did the required courses for resettlement. He had a job lined up with FTRS, in recruiting, but cancelled it as he was about to start because of an offer in his chosen field.

He entered this new job at entry level, with fairly lousy wages but his work ethic, cemented by his time in the Corps allowed him to get another job within 6 months. At one and a half times the wage plus a company car.

Again, his work ethic has him promised a wage rise within the next few months.

He's also part owner of his own business, again in his chosen field. Should his plans succeed, another year or two will see him comparatively well off, with an ongoing, highly paid career for as long as he wants it.

Sounds pretty good, glad to hear he's getting on alright, and cheers for sharing that with us.

Was he other ranks or officer, if you don't mind me asking?

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good, glad to hear he's getting on alright, and cheers for sharing that with us.

Was he other ranks or officer, if you don't mind me asking?
Other rank. Joined at 16 and learned the value of ongoing learning in the Corps. Also other skills, such as being able to talk to people of all levels, duty of care, professionalism, work ethic, time management, prioritising etc . . .

northmonkeySW

Reaction score
If you're really curious, I'd suggest going on LinkedIn and typing in Royal Marine, which brings up a large number of ex-RMs (of Other and Officer Rank) and lets you see the wide range of opportunities available. Also worth remembering that if you're going Other Rank you've still got access to a student loan for a degree afterwards!

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you're really curious, I'd suggest going on LinkedIn and typing in Royal Marine, which brings up a large number of ex-RMs (of Other and Officer Rank) and lets you see the wide range of opportunities available. Also worth remembering that if you're going Other Rank you've still got access to a student loan for a degree afterwards!

Glad I'm not the only one who has done that :)

mactavish80

Reaction score
Other rank. Joined at 16 and learned the value of ongoing learning in the Corps. Also other skills, such as being able to talk to people of all levels, duty of care, professionalism, work ethic, time management, prioritising etc . . .

Sounds good, can't argue with any of those

Didn't even know you could do that mate! Not a bad deal that

Chelonian

Reaction score
...even made a cute flow chart to illustrate it all

Whenever I do this I get accused of 'mansplaining'. :)
Do you use a specific project management application or do you just cuff it with MS Excel?

On the topic of project management a service career offers ample practical opportunities to learn and develop skills.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
As has been mentioned by others, one of the main points raised has been "work ethic". My advice to anyone wishing to join is to get through RT, join your first Unit and get the "fun" bit done and dusted. Go ashore with your oppos, dance on the tables, trap the gronks, play spoof etc. etc. and then focus on what you want to do and where you want to end up in life, which means having a good work ethic.

Although they have some hoofing parties and functions in the SNCOs and Officers' mess, the majority of them know that they have a specific responsibility in their work, which in some cases can cost lives if they get it wrong, so they know when to party and when to "behave".

Alan

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As already alluded above, further civilian educational qualifications can indeed be obtained in your spare time, service funded, whilst serving through the standard and enhanced learning credit scheme: http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com

Bottom line is the qualifications are there for the taking but the individual has to have the motivation to get off their backside and do something about it.

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Whenever I do this I get accused of 'mansplaining'. :)
Do you use a specific project management application or do you just cuff it with MS Excel?

On the topic of project management a service career offers ample practical opportunities to learn and develop skills.
If you’re willing to shell out, MS Visio is perhaps the most satisfying software I’ve ever used - and that’s from a long list of programs! It lines all your boxes up and makes it symmetrical and all sorts.
One might describe it as OCD nirvana.