carrying a heavy bergen

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by i dared i won, Oct 3, 2009.

1. i dared i won

i dared i won New Member

during the weeks of training at lympstone there are a series of load carrying marches and i found out that they have to carry 80 pound. is it good for me legs and back if i was to load me bergen to this weight?
    cheers.

1.5 mile - 10:24 mins

2. shady

shady New Member

What do you think?

IN CTC they build your ability to carry loads up sticking 80 pounds on your back before prmc is just stupid.

3. gibbs654

gibbs654 New Member

No dont try anything like that youll injure yourself. At CTC they know exactly what they are doing, they dont just turn around one day and say "alright lads put 80 lb on your back we are going for a yomp".
    They progressively build you up to it.
    Trust me dont do it. I'm a doctor.

4. hoofin

hoofin Commando Officer - Moderator

Ditto above. Concentrate on building up your core strength and CV fitness, training has been designed to progressively train you to carry and run with weight.

5. PotentialOfficer

PotentialOfficer Member

I agree with the above points as just buying a Bergen and then filling it up with free weights or what ever is stupid. However, if you wan't to train your body to be able to carry extra weight so when you remove the weight you are even faster then look into weighted vests.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weighted-Vest-20kg-ELITE-PRO/dp/B002845QIM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1254649380&sr=8-5

Have a look at that. I'm pretty sure it won't give you a bad back as the weight is balanced around your centre of gravity. It'd be nice if someone else who'd used one could help me confirm that?

6. headshot

headshot New Member

I got one off Ebay today so when it arrives ill give my review on them.

7. Rhys_92

Rhys_92 New Member

when you have 80 pound bergan thats on your 12 mile load carry isnt that like week 26?? you dont need to do any of that you'l just mess your body up. in RT its progressive so that you dont eff your body up too bad. .

8. critchmufc

critchmufc Guest

if your planning on taking 8 months in the application and know a PTI then go for it

if not, concentrate on the simple

CV
    pressups
    situps
    pullups