Caversham

Chelonian

Reaction score
It is with deep regret we announce that Alan—known on the forum as @Caversham — died on Sunday 13 December 2020 at Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital following a short illness. His family were at his bedside when he passed.

After his service in the Corps Alan had a full career in HM Prison Service retiring at Governor grade after several high profile appointments. His robust, no-nonsense persona concealed a man of considerable humanity, compassion and above all, humour; although typically he denied having any such qualities.

Alan was very much a stalwart of the forum. Because he lived near to CTCRM he also became a 'Nod Whisperer' to a number of Recruits who struggled with injury and motivation.

For several years Alan also supported the Parent & Partner Ninja Worriers team at the annual Commando Challenge on Woodbury Common, ably navigating the support team to ensure it arrived at obstacles before the runners and also acting as team photographer.

For those of us who had the privilege of knowing Alan, either online or personally, he will be sadly missed.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Alan was part of the very fabric of this forum. When I first learned of this news it knocked the wind out of me. Conscious that his beloved family may read this, I want to stress how important a role Alan played here. He was always on hand to dish out advice, guidance and despite his self proclaimed “GOF” approach he was a very kind man.

When I found out Alan wasn’t well the gravity of it didn’t hit me. In true Alan style he flipped it into something light hearted and kept morale high among his fellow moderators. He even still took time to tell us all about how amazing the staff in the hospital were- more proof that the bloke always put others first.

I’ll remember Alan in many positive ways. His Corps knowledge was amazing and he seemed to know the answer to every question about the RM’s and it’s characters. I loved reading his posts. He loved the Corps and that passion was infectious.
He played the “GOF” role well but you didn’t have to drill down far to see that he loved helping others, had a great sense of humor and always had a great story to tell. I never met Alan personally but I’ll never forget how supportive and kind he was to me when we chatted via PM. A top bloke and I honestly don’t think it’s really sunk in yet.

Rest in peace Royal.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Alan was part of the very fabric of this forum. When I first learned of this news it knocked the wind out of me. Conscious that his beloved family may read this, I want to stress how important a role Alan played here. He was always on hand to dish out advice, guidance and despite his self proclaimed “GOF” approach he was a very kind man.

When I found out Alan wasn’t well the gravity of it didn’t hit me. In true Alan style he flipped it into something light hearted and kept morale high among his fellow moderators. He even still took time to tell us all about how amazing the staff in the hospital were- more proof that the bloke always put others first.

I’ll remember Alan in many positive ways. His Corps knowledge was amazing and he seemed to know the answer to every question about the RM’s and it’s characters. I loved reading his posts. He loved the Corps and that passion was infectious.
He played the “GOF” role well but you didn’t have to drill down far to see that he loved helping others, had a great sense of humor and always had a great story to tell. I never met Alan personally but I’ll never forget how supportive and kind he was to me when we chatted via PM. A top bloke and I honestly don’t think it’s really sunk in yet.

Rest in peace Royal.

You've absolutely nailed it there mate. I remember first joining the forum and the presence and knowledge Alan had was absolutely second to none. I wonder how many serving Bootnecks owe Alan a beer for a nugget of advice or point in the right direction.

As you mentioned that dark sense of humour he managed to show even when he was struggling with his health absolutely typifies the Commando Qualities. An absolute legend.

He'll be missed by many that's for sure. RIP Royal.

MomsRUs

Gin Lover
Reaction score
I cannot believe that our lovely Caversham will no longer be here to offer advice, support and a positive outlook for the members of this forum.
Alan was such a strong advocate for the Parents and Partners of both Nods and Royals. He would spend hours penning together advice, making recommendations and doing that general ‘pick me up’ which we all needed on so many occasions.
Together with Chelonian they were the mascots for the Ninja Worrier Team, being assigned the Bar Tender and Photographer roles. Every year without fail he would be there with a smile to get us all through the course and we have amazing photos to document our journey over the years. Of course the main event always occurred in the George and Dragon after, Alan spinning dits and his amazing sense of humour was second to none!
Alan, a massive thank you for all the help and support you gave to me during my lads training and for the continued guidance.
What started out as an anonymous name on a forum website turned into someone I was proud to call a friend.
You will be sorely missed!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Desperately sad news. I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people who have benefited from Alan's efforts over the 11 years he was on this site. I wasn't aware that he was also mentoring down at CTC, so we can add many more to number.

His family will be very proud of a special man. Someone whose achievements will be in inspiration to many.

Will be sorely missed around here, a huge loss to the forum and the RM community. Gone but won't be forgotten.

RIP Royal

Harleydavidson17

Reaction score
RIP our dear friend - you have been such a support to all of us in this forum. Your sage counsel, wise words and humour will be sorely missed - as will your presence on the bridge come rain or shine to welcome the lads to the Corps at the end of the thirty miler.There must be many RMs and families who found their journey through CTC just that little bit easier because you were there. Condolences to all Alan’s family and to the admins on the forum who I know will miss your support and friendship.

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I can't begin to thank Alan for all the advice I have seen from him. His no nonsense approach to nods and the help and understanding he gave parents and partners who needed help navigating through this career choice. His Corp knowledge was phenomenal. I laughed so many times at some of his posts.
My thoughts and love to his family.

lilsis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This is such sad news, he helped me all through my sons training and was even at the end of the 30miler with his phone so that my son could ring me the minute he finished and then went on to send me my first photo! His words of wisdom and the valuable knowledge he had will be a huge loss to the forum.
Many thoughts are with his family at this time, RIP CAVERSHAM

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
Just catching up on the forum and didn’t expect this news!! So sad. Thank you for sharing the little ditty about him. Nice to know things about those that you engaged with previously.
Such a a loss to the forum and to the Royal Marines family.
Thoughts with his friends and family

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I think the posts above speak volumes of the high regard in which Alan will always be held, both digitally and in our memories.

Like most, although aware he was unwell, the penny never dropped just how unwell he really was. As ever, Alan just made light of his situation.

I last saw him in May last year, we met at the WO & Sgts Mess at CTC and there, as much as wherever we went, he seemed to be known to all and much liked. Alan has been one of our most valuable, knowledgeable, humourous and humble contibutors and I know he will leave a void.

Frankly, I cannot believe this has happened so swiftly and completely unexpectedly. My thoughts to his family & friends, I'll be raising a glass to Alan - Rest Easy Royal, your duty is done my good friend and cracking buddy. Sorely missed.

Chelonian

Reaction score
For some years Alan marked Remembrance Sunday by placing a small poppy cross at a remote copse on Woodbury Common where a Royal Marines Recruit died in a training incident in March 2000. Undoubtedly some on here will be familiar with the location.

Alan said he preferred quietly marking the day this way to more formal, organised Remembrance gatherings. It perhaps gives an insight into the man's character that he chose to pay his respects without fuss or fanfare.

New Threads