Caversham

MVP29

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Very shocked and saddened to read this post today. I can only reiterate what has been said already. I only had interaction with Alan on this forum, not all our chats were P&P related! What a lovely gent he came across as.
Our thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

wes3

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting Alan and his lovely wife a few years back. He extended a hand of support and befriended my son during a difficult time in training. We got to meet up some months later and the only thing I could do to repay his kindness was a hug and a thank you. What he did for myself and my son means more to than could ever be repaid. It saddened me greatly to learn of his passing but the world and lots of lives in it have been touched by his character. RIP Alan x

doggle

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’m sat here in tears reading this terrible news. I never had the privilege of meeting Alan but we agreed that if I was down in his part of the country again we’d try and meet up. I owed him a few beers! I feel bereft that I’ll now never get that chance.

Alan provided me with the most wonderful support when things were going wrong for my then nod. He gave encouragement and advice and really helped me when I was very feeling very despondent. I really valued his genuine interest and concern.

He was a true gentleman and a wonderful human being. I wish there were more like him in this world.

I feel very saddened and shocked at his loss.

My heartfelt condolences to all his family and friends.
God bless you, Alan.

CommonMom

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have noticed his absence on the forum these past weeks, particularly the p&p's section. The time and effort with so much understanding he put into the forum speaks volumes to the type of person he was. He will be so sadly missed. My deepest condolences to all his family and friends.

Tetley

Reaction score
As a newish member of this forum and with a son with a Jan 2021 RoP date I can only comment on my own experience. I have spent time searching for and, more often than not, found good advice from the many contributors and would always see Caversham's name on that list. I am sure that many who follow will search, as I have, and find his wise advice that has, and will continue, to serve many prospective recruits and P&Ps very well.
I hope that when his family are ready and the time is right that there may be a memorial fund or chosen charity or charities that those who have benefited from Caversham's support and guidance may be able to contribute to in his memory.

Pez1962

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So sad to read of the passing of Alan. Having been a member of the forum since 2015 he was an ever present guiding support during my son's RM training. When we decided to enter the RM challenge as a team it was a delight and pleasure to finally put a name to a face when I emerged from that first tunnel with a tot proffered by Alan and the support team. At the post event meet it was a pleasure to chat and listen to him. A true gentleman who will be sadly missed by so many. Hopefully we can complete the challenge one more time in his honour.

Reaction score
I’m quite new to the forum but have have scrolled through lots of the older threads over the last few months since we knew my son was joining. His name is one which comes up in almost every area with sound advice, knowledge and humour. My huge condolences to all who mourn his loss.
i will miss seeing his comments here.
RIP Alan

aliens-do-exist

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was only thinking today as a new post came up and was promptly answered that these guys in admin not only do a daily job but put so much of themselves into it, their knowledge, experience, humour, empathy and more.
With Caversham i sometimes had to stop myself messaging back constantly as his banter was so funny. i'm sure he felt like a friend to many.
My sincere condolences to Alan's family, but they must be so proud xx

Ivyrose31

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So, so shocked and sad to read this dreadful news. In October we were on Dartmoor and Alan spent the week sending me texts recommending places to go, pubs to visit, ghosts to watch out for; culminating in a hilarious day of frantic message exchanges of the latest insider update of where to find the elusive end of the 30 miler. He was absolutely the kindest man - the last thing he said to me was that I should let him know when my son finally passed out because he would go to the end of the 30 miler and take photographs of him to send to me. What an absolute gentleman.
Rest easy Alan and love to all your family and friends, especially to you other Mods on this forum, at this sad time.
I would be proud to join you @Pez1962 to honour Caversham with Ninjas Warriers at the next Commando Challenge. Xxx

Cookiemum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What a terribly sad loss to the Royal Marine family.
Earlier this year my son was having a very difficult patch during his training and Alan and @Chelonian were exceptionally kind and helpful in guiding us through a dark time.
I truly believe that without their skilled knowledge and support, my boy would not be the proud RM he is today and we are so thankful to them.
May Alan's RM spirit live on in all these fantastic lads he has supported over the years.
Rest In Peace Royal.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
These messages are all absolutely hoofing. Quite an emotional thread to read through but reading these messages from just a few people that Alan had a positive influence on is incredibly humbling and inspiring. A fitting tribute from the forum he gave so much to! What an example he has set for every bootneck to follow.

Very big shoes to fill indeed.

physiomum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’m so sad about this. Alan has been a rock of support to me throughout my son’s training. He thought nothing of offering immediate actions to help solve stressful and practical problems. He was so easy to talk to and great company. He made me cry when he said he would make a special effort to clap Luke at the end of his 30 miler...... if he gets there.
He had such a positive and humorous outlook and reassured me with his many anecdotes and personal experience. I know that he was an honorary dad/grandma to so many nods. His kindness and selflessness extended beyond the Royal Marines family.Even when he was ill he was looking out for other people.
RIP you lovely soul. Love and best wishes to Barbara, Julie and family. Thinking of you all xxx

Boggy

Reaction score
Very sad news. He steadied the nerves of hundreds of P&Ps, particularly in the first few weeks of each intake, with his calmness, kindness and patience. Generous with his time and knowledge, never judgemental. RIP Alan. Condolences to his family- thanks for 'lending' him to us!

Latest posts

New Threads