Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Featured Change to pass/fail criteria PRMC & Recruit Training

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

• From 1 Mar 20 all potential RM candidates will be required to achieve level 11 on the VO2 Max Test (MSFT) vs level 10.5 under current rules at PRMC. All other assessment criteria will remain the same.
    • New recruits will be re-tested in week 1 of Recruit Training and will be expected to achieve level 11 on the VO2 Max Test (MSFT).

• Like Like x 10
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  2. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    How will that impact the scoring on the RMFA for the MSFT?

Narrower band? Or has every band been bumped up 0.5?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Honestly don't know but Level 11.0 or better is a pass in that element, those scoring lower will fail PRMC I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    It’s back to where it was about 3 or 4 years ago. Pretty sure the gym scores haven’t changed since then so as Ninja says it will just be a requirement to now exceed lvl 11 on the bleep, everything else I assume will remain as is

5. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    65DB3178-361E-450D-AF4B-8FC35CF4A5BE.jpeg

Oh ok. Is this table not accurate then?

6. HEF_RM

HEF_RM Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    We had two lads who failed to reach 10.5 on my PRMC, so glad to see its been increased

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Not anymore, but in any case, c = criteria test, which means pass/fail regardless of points scored elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  8. StrSam

StrSam Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    We had 8 on ours fail it! Mostly 16 year olds. Our pti was livid and took it out on us, of course -nailbiting-

9. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    So what is the criteria now for a pass/fail on PRMC?

1.5 miler run
    V02 max
    Press ups
    Pull ups
    Sit Ups
    Assault Course

For the 1.5 miler I had seen it was 10:30 then somewhere else as long as 11:15?

Looking at that original chart, would seem like a very poor pass if you got grade 1 at everything

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Correct, that's the reason we're reluctant to post minimums in any element as there will always be those who will then make the minimum required to pass, their target.

What often causes confusion is the fact there's a different pass/fail time for the second 1.5 mile PJFT and the BFT conducted on the road.

Several years back the VO2 was conducted day 1, the BFT on day two. It was pretty much taken as read that anyone scoring below level 11 on the VO2 day one, was likely to crash and burn on the BFT, day 2. Over the years things have chopped and changed with the VO2 & BFT both conducted day one.

Trouble is, those knowing they are permitted the longer time on the 1.5 road-run back were taking their foot off the gas rather than giving maximum effort which is probably the reason the VO2 pass/fail changed.

My tip? Aim for a sub ten minute run-back on the BFT and you should be OK regardless of the pass/fail criteria.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    My strength is pretty on point, just the running. At the moment, I am just skiffing the 10min mark for the 1.5 miler.

About 6 years ago, I weighed 69kg and could crank out a 7 min mile pace for miles (it was swag). Nowadays, while alot stronger overall, I am now about 80kg and I've gotten slower, which feels a bit unnerving but I guess I'm just pressuring myself to compete with my 11kg lighter self.

12. StrSam

StrSam Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    If it makes you Feel any better, I got a good level pass, and my return time was 10:29 on the dot for the 1.5 miler (83kg). Certainly not a good score but I made up for it everywhere else.

Always struggled with straight road running but I performed reasonably well on the endurance course and bottom field as there were exercises between the sprinting. Focused loads on hill sprints and sprint intervals

13. GP2396

GP2396 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I’ve got my PRMC on the 14th of this Month and struggling to get my VO2 passed 10.5 any tips to try and boost that just before I go. My return mile is normally around the 10 minute mark or below

14. stumpylegs

stumpylegs Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    honesty mate, practicing bleep test sucks, hadn’t passed a single practice one before my PRMC, passed with a 10.9, the fear of failure and doing it with other people helps, most people say if you can pass the BFT in under 10, you’ll be fine on the bleep test.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GP2396

GP2396 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    That gives me a lot of confidence, I just don’t want to go there and get the bare minimum, not what i’m about. did you pass PRMC in the end?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. stumpylegs

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yea mate, B pass in 2017, in practice highest bleep test I got was level 9 before prmc, similarly I hadn't even passed a pjft practice till my actual one (hate treadmills) passed with a 9:45

17. GP2396

GP2396 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Good on you man. Similar to me mate, never like running was 17st when I first applied could barely run 700m without blowing just got to persist if you want it that badly

18. stumpylegs

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    When I applied when I was 18 couldn’t even run the whole of the first slow mile and a half :D, did 3 hours of weights a day and no running, thought ohhh yea 1.5 in 10 that’ll be easy :D couldn’t have been more wrong,
    Applied at 18 started RT at 20 due to asthma history

19. stumpylegs

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    In 2017 our PTI in RT said we had to get at least level 11 even back then, much to my horror I managed a 11.3:D

20. GP2396

GP2396 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yeah exactly the same as me mate, more or less I applied 5 years ago and only now I’m managing to get to the PRMC due to being TMUd 5 times, I had to have a over a year out for breaking my wrist which set me back to zero

• Like Like x 1