Changes to AIB

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Introduction

1. Officer candidates attend the Admiralty Interview Board (AIB) in HMS SULTAN. Each Board is normally under the presidency of a Commander RN/Lieutenant Colonel RM, assisted by a Lieutenant Commander RN/Major RM and a Lieutenant RN. The Board takes account of the results of psychometric and written tests, performance in practical exercises and at interview to assess the suitability of applicants to be trained as officers.

Changes to the AIB Programme

2. From October 2014 a number of changes have been introduced to the AIB boarding procedure. The most significant of these is that the duration of the AIB is reduced and now requires candidates to arrive no later than 1230 on the first day of boarding and they will only spend one night at the AIB, compared with two previously.

3. On the day of arrival there will be a welcome brief at 1245 followed by a series of activities; the completion of an essay (45 mins, computer based), the brief for the Practical Leadership Test (PLT) and a practice Planning Exercise. Candidates will then be accommodated overnight at the AIB.

4. Day two will commence with either the PLT or the Planning Exercise, depending on the number of boards running that day; candidates will be informed on arrival. This will be followed by a 'round-robin' of four activities; the three psychometric tests and a formal interview, lasting a total of four hours. On completion, all candidates will undertake the fitness test which, although accruing points towards their Final Board Mark, will also be a pass or fail test. (ie if a candidate does not reach the standard required for their age/gender they will not be Forwarded for Selection, irrespective of the Final Board Mark achieved). Board Presidents will then see each candidate in turn to inform them of their result and to discuss future options. Candidates will be free to depart from approximately 1530 on day two.

5. The content of each of the individual tests remain unchanged with the exception that there is no longer a naval knowledge test nor an expectation for candidates to answer detailed questions of naval knowledge during their interview. However, an overview of the role of the Armed Forces, the Naval Service’s part in this and how candidates might be expected to contribute, as an officer, is expected to be known.

6. The five competencies which continue to be assessed at the AIB are:

· Effective Intelligence,

· Leadership and Management Potential,

· Powers of Communication,

· Courage and Values

· Motivation

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Langa please?

Langa please? Well-Known Member

A couple of questions as you may expect:

1. Day two will commence with either the PLT or the Planning Exercise, depending on the number of boards running that day

Does this mean candidates will not be expected to do both the PLT and Plan Ex? It will be a case of one or the other?

2. Is the fitness test alluded to the bleep test? I was under the impression this didn't accrue points for the previous AIB is that correct? Is the change designed to stop candidates fitness slipping between POC and entry? What weighting of points will this carry?

3. Do you know the time allocation for the interview during the 'round robin'? Four hours seems to be a long time for psychometric testing and an interview, are the psychometric tests fairly extensive?

4. How come the Naval Knowledge section has been scrapped? I know this was only a small proportion of marks in the first place but surely having a knowledge of assets is important?

5. I assume the reduction from two nights to one is to cut costs a bit, understandably. Does this mean the days will be much more intensive or does the content dropped reflect the change?

Thanks.

3. Ninja_Stoker

1. Expect & plan to do both. Anything less is a bonus, but you don't know how many are on your course or where you will be placed sequentially in the syndicate.

2. The Bleep Test or 2.4 Km run is geared more toward the lardy Naval Officers rather than potential RM Officers. The weighting has not been declared but for RM Officers, anything below 10.5 would certainly sound alarm bells.

3. The psychometric tests remain unchanged but they are significantly more challenging than the initial Recruiting Test. Don't underestimate them. I'd recommend the following book as a practice piece: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychometric-Test-Workbook-Preparation-Personality/dp/0749462612

4. I guess the ability to retain statistical knowledge is no longer deemed critical for potential leaders. Don't ignore this bit (Para 5): However, an overview of the role of the Armed Forces, the Naval Service’s part in this and how candidates might be expected to contribute, as an officer, is expected to be known.

5. The tighter timescale can actually be regarded as an assessment of the individual's organisational skills, in particular time-management & personal planning ability. The advice is to expect the time you are there to be fully occupied. The words "fast" and "furious" spring to mind.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Langa please?

Thank you for the reply Andy, very useful as always.

Plan for the worst springs to mind and it's certainly the approach I'll take should I get there. I quite like the idea of it being on a tighter timescale, as it will test candidates with more time pressure and perhaps mental fatigue from more intensive testing.

5. Guski

Guski Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I had my AIB brief this past Tuesday. Regarding the fitness test, we were advised that the bleep test has been replaced by a 2.4km run on astroturf, for us lardy RN potentials anyway. I'm uncertain as to whether this will be the same for potential RM officers, however.

I'll try to do a current write-up for the new programme when I get back. I have my AIB next week!

• Like Like x 2
  6. DD

DD Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I know this is off topic but was Andy Ninja Stoker the whole time? I am quite confused on this.

7. Langa please?

Best of luck, lardy. :D

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  8. Langa please?

Some say he takes many forms, it's one of life's many mysteries.

Edit: just realised the profile has been changed back to NS. The almighty reveals himself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BrigRat

BrigRat Well-Known Member

Interesting, worth taking a note of!

Thank you Ninja ;)

10. Wannabe_Officer

Wannabe_Officer New Member

What's the pass rate at AIB these days?

11. BON

BON Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    May I ask what exactly is "effective intelligence" or is it a nice way of saying the candidate should have more brain cells than balls (read, common sense)? Or is it more Maths, English etc. applied? Seen the phrase "effective intelligence" and always wandered how one would define it in comparison to intelligence.

12. DD

DD Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I wouldn't know how the board would describe effective intelligence, but I assume in the context of operational theatre and combat it's having that intelligence to make effective plans for battle. Perhaps more importantly, it's also the intelligence to adapt and improvise when the original plan goes the window and then to still achieve your adjective. Just my thoughts anyway.

13. axeman

axeman New Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but,

The fitness is 1.5 miles round an astro. Bit of a warm up first. Nothing to worry about as you do it to navy standards. Just meaning that you get 11 minutes so it's easy to get full marks! I did with a 9:30.

Also they took our the navy knowledge test but they did point at pictures and ask me to ID and talk about vessels. I told my ACLO and she was threaders as they told her it wouldn't happen. I did AIB in the old format ( I passed but didn't make the batch) so I could remember what I needed.

I got caught out because they pointed at a LCVP and then asked me what the thing in the background was.... I didn't know. It was a mexeflote!
    I think they were having me on because they had a little chuckle.

14. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Do they tell you why you don't make the batch? Or just a basic "Sorry, better luck next year."

15. axeman

axeman New Member

I just got a letter saying that there were candidates with better scores. From my AIB feedback I know the areas I was weak on. In the letter telling me I was put forward to final selection board they said I was a ' borderline candidate'. After my second AIB it said I should be ' reasonably optimistic given past trends'.

When I didn't make the cut they gave me four options.

1. Sack it.
    2. Join the navy (as I'd passed AIB)
    3. Join the reserves. (because POC pass = PRMC pass)
    4. Retake AIB and go for the next batch.

It didn't take long to decide!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

I'm surprised they didn't invite you to also consider joining the regular service as an Other Rank after the first AIB.

Either way, good luck this time around!

17. axeman

axeman New Member

Oh my mistake. That was an option.

The option to withdraw my application was in the letter but not on the list.

Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ludo

Ludo New Member

Do you just have to re-take AIB then? and when?
    In your departure interview stating pass or fail did they give you a 'you passed, scoring xxx points...however....' or was it just 'you passed but didnt score as high as others' with no mention to an actual score?

19. axeman

axeman New Member

yeah just retook AIB. The pass is only valid for a year which is a few intakes for other branches but not RM. So I retook it a few months ago. My first one was about this time last year.

No you don't get a score. They also only give you a rough idea of how well you did because depending on the quality of candidates each years pass threshold varies. So the letter you get a few days later says 'based on previous trends you are a borderline candidate' or 'you can be reasonably optimistic'. You'll get a good idea of your chances but nothing concrete. The ACLO won't (or shouldn't) give you a score either.

They debrief you straight after your run while you're still in phys rig. Which is a bit wierd.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ludo

Ludo New Member

cheers @axeman if I come across any niggling questions in the next few weeks do you mind me firing them your way?