Changes to AIB

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 30, 2014.

1. axeman

axeman New Member

Sure thing, I've had some others do the same. Might have to start a thread....

2. REX13

REX13 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Hi axeman, did you have to do psychometric tests at AIB?

3. axeman

axeman New Member

Yes! There's a maths, verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning. All on a computer. You'll do these as a round Robin that will include the interview as well.

4. StanRM

StanRM Member

How long do you have to wait before you can retake the AIB??

5. axeman

axeman New Member

You need to go to a re-sift interview first. Then they put you on one when there's a space. Then there's the pre aib brief etc like the first time round.

I don't think there's any restriction on how quickly you can retake. But they recommend doing it no later than 4 months before your first one expires (if you pass). If it expires I think you need to do the whole lot again including poc.

6. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

On my POC the captain was fairly sure if we failed AIB we would be able to take it again based on their recommendation time and make it for 2016 batch without retaking POC. I was always under the impression they had to be in their 1year validity when you started training.

I may have misunderstood him but it would be ideal to not relive POC more than necessary in the event to failed AIB or didn't make the batch.

7. REX13

REX13 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    I got told to retake my AIB after christmas and that POC is valid a year

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

POC is valid 12 months & you must commence YO training before 12 months have elapsed.

I've not heard of extensions being granted.

9. axeman

axeman New Member

I can only really speak for my case and there are some contradictory statements.

The letter telling me I hadn't made the batch said poc was valid for one year.

The ACLO said AIB is also valid for a year, which is the same for all naval branches.

BUT when it came to it I was told I don't need to retake POC. I asked to, I thought if I need to improve my scores then I should but the ACLO said it wasn't necessary and I went straight to AIB. But I did retake the AIB quite quickly while my POC was in date.

Rex13 and johndoe, are you not going to make this batch?

10. axeman

axeman New Member

Ah just reread that. JohnDoe passed but Rex13, youre going for the next bat ch?

11. REX13

REX13 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Yeah I sadly missed out by a handful of points. Messed up the PLT.. but yeah my POC score is a good one so retaking AIB in January.

12. axeman

axeman New Member

Ahhh gutted. You know what to expect now so you'll crack it next time round.

Make sure you work on your weak points that they ID in your debrief and you'll be set.

So you'll be planning a gap year then?

13. REX13

REX13 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    I've finished uni and have been working a year already. So I guess i'm pretty lucky with my current job so i'll just stay set and go for next year. Yeah I'm definitely going to carefully look at my debrief and make sure I nail it next time round.

14. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

I finished AIB today and asked the board president about the POC situation to try and clear it up. He said if I were to retake AIB shortly after not making the batch, be that the case, I would more than likely not have to redo POC. So similar case to the above. Obviously this is dependent on not getting a spot this year so touch wood on that one.

The info is a bit ragged with regards to whether a POC retake is needed. I will cross that bridge next week depending on the batch announcement haha. I was always under the assumption that what ninja has said is right as I have heard it from my AFCO as well.

15. axeman

axeman New Member

I hope ninja's wrong because if he's not then my ACLO was and I'm in with no shot!

I spoke to AIB yesterday about stuff I won't bore you with, but the short story is that I'm still in the running and I did my POC in April last year!