Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Changing mind from reserve to regular

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by The Creature of the Night, Feb 20, 2019.

1. The Creature of the Night

The Creature of the Night Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi all,

As all have know, I had an application in for the RMR, but having gone in and spoke to my AFCO, I've decided to go regular

Now my question is, at the ripe old age of 29, what are my chances of getting through regular RT?

Best,
    The Creature of the Night

2. TrustyP

TrustyP New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hoping the answers to this include "high", because by the time I start RT (if I pass all the other stages) I'll be 32...

It's a state of mind and all that.

3. JTech

JTech Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    You have maturity and life experience on your side and if you look after your body whilst down there you’ll increase your chances.

4. Hoofin

Hoofin Commando Officer

Better than if you were 16-19 statistically and worse than 20-25. However the great thing about statistics is that they look at a population as a whole, and not the individual. At 20-25 you are more likely to be 80kg than a 16 y.o which is the ideal weight, less likely to have children and commitments than a 29 year old.

So an 80kg 29 year old with no commitments and kids, no mortgage etc to pay may have similar chances to a 22 year old in passing, statistics only look at the group trend and not individual circumstances.

Whilst you have maturity and life experiences on your side, you may be more fixed in your ways and less ready to accept the nuances of basic training etc etc

• Like Like x 4
  5. The Creature of the Night

The Creature of the Night Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Thank you for the advice.
    I’ve no kids, or mortgage. I’ve got a girlfriend but she’s understanding so that should be okay.

I think, personally, I could adopt to the nuances of basic training; as it’s something I’ve wanted to pursue for years however, I decided to take a full education at university. Done all my qualifications but want some action; and whilst I’m quite ‘senior’ my philosophy is better late than never.

Best,
    The Creature Of The Night.

6. Hoofin

Hoofin Commando Officer

Hope it goes well