Changing up running?

Ninjaman

Reaction score
I seem to be asking a lot of questions on this forum so forgive me if it seems self absorbed, but is it a good idea to switch up running like for example:

week:
1x6 miler
1x3 miler
1x800m sprints
1xhill sprints

Then do this for however long I wish

week:
1x3 miler
1x hill sprints
1x800m
1x BFT

then do this for however long I wish.

or is it better to just stick to one solid running plan

mervich

Reaction score
You want 1 long run to keep your aerobic training in check for those long days in rt. maybe try:

6 miler
3 miler
Hillsprints
bft

At the end of the day, all of these running programs are good.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It’s tough because what works for 1 person may not work for you. Do you enjoy running or is it a chore?

Ninjaman

Reaction score
It’s tough because what works for 1 person may not work for you. Do you enjoy running or is it a chore?
Sorry I accidentally started a conversation instead of quoting but what I was saying is I enjoy running but I get bored if I don’t switch stuff up like one week I may do a fintan or fartlek but was wondering wether that’s a bad thing to do

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry I accidentally started a conversation instead of quoting but what I was saying is I enjoy running but I get bored if I don’t switch stuff up like one week I may do a fintan or fartlek but was wondering wether that’s a bad thing to do
That’s the best thing about running surely! Can never get bored if you keep breaking it down. Aim to run shorter distances faster and longer distances longer and slower then start to bring them together and speed up the longer runs. Honestly smashing 800m intervals plus hill sprints plus a long recovery run will really help

Ninjaman

Reaction score
That’s the best thing about running surely! Can never get bored if you keep breaking it down. Aim to run shorter distances faster and longer distances longer and slower then start to bring them together and speed up the longer runs. Honestly smashing 800m intervals plus hill sprints plus a long recovery run will really help
So it is ok to switch up every once in a while instead of doing the same thing

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
If you do the same thing constantly, you'll start to plateau. Varying distances, speeds, rest periods etc will encourage your body to adapt to different outputs. One thing I will say though; be careful if you've not built up to that level of running. Lower limb injuries are the biggest factor for recruit injuries. Off the top of my head, I think it's responsible for almost half of all injuries sustained by nods. @The guide will be able to confirm / correct on that.

Make sure that what ever program you choose to follow, you build in incremental improvements. So look at your program as a cycle, you've got Week A and Week B.

Cycle 1

Week A:
1x6 miler @ 10:00/mi
1x3 miler @ 8:00/mi
5x800m sprints @ 3:50/mi. 5 min rest.
10xhill sprints @ best effort. 3 min rest

Week B:
10x hill sprints @ best effort. 3 min rest.
5x800m sprints @ 3:50/mi. 5 min rest
1x BFT @ best effort.

--------------------------------------------
Cycle 2

Week A:
1x6 miler @ 9:45/mi
1x3 miler @ 7:45/mi
5x800m sprints @ 3:45/mi. 5 min rest.
10xhill sprints @ best effort. 2:45 min rest

Week B:
10x hill sprints @ best effort. 2:45 min rest.
5x800m sprints @ 3:45/mi. 5 min rest
1x BFT @ best effort.
Cycle 3

Week A:
1x6 miler @ 9:30/mi
1x3 miler @ 7:30/mi
5x800m sprints @ 3:45/mi. 4:30 min rest.
15xhill sprints @ best effort. 3:00 min rest

Week B:
6x800m sprints @ 3:45/mi. 5 min rest
1x BFT @ best effort.
-----------------------------------------------

etc etc. That's a quick example of cycling / incremental improvements. Notice that not all the variables change though. Either decrease the rest time, or the speed, or the rep count. Never all three together, or you'll end up over doing it without realising.

The key with training and incremental progression is to leave your ego at the door. Just because a session doesn't feel like it's too difficult and you can push it harder, doesnt mean you should.

Anyway, I'm done rambling. Get running

Ninjaman

Reaction score
If you do the same thing constantly, you'll start to plateau. Varying distances, speeds, rest periods etc will encourage your body to adapt to different outputs. One thing I will say though; be careful if you've not built up to that level of running. Lower limb injuries are the biggest factor for recruit injuries. Off the top of my head, I think it's responsible for almost half of all injuries sustained by nods. @The guide will be able to confirm / correct on that.

Make sure that what ever program you choose to follow, you build in incremental improvements. So look at your program as a cycle, you've got Week A and Week B.

Cycle 1

Week A:
1x6 miler @ 10:00/mi
5x800m sprints @ 3:50/mi. 5 min rest.
10xhill sprints @ best effort. 3 min rest

Week B:
10x hill sprints @ best effort. 3 min rest.
5x800m sprints @ 3:50/mi. 5 min rest
1x BFT @ best effort.

Cycle 2

Week A:
1x6 miler @ 9:45/mi
5x800m sprints @ 3:45/mi. 5 min rest.
10xhill sprints @ best effort. 2:45 min rest

Week B:
5x800m sprints @ 3:45/mi. 5 min rest
1x BFT @ best effort.
Cycle 3

Week A:
1x6 miler @ 9:30/mi
5x800m sprints @ 3:45/mi. 4:30 min rest.
15xhill sprints @ best effort. 3:00 min rest

Week B:
6x800m sprints @ 3:45/mi. 5 min rest
1x BFT @ best effort.
-----------------------------------------------

etc etc. That's a quick example of cycling / incremental improvements. Notice that not all the variables change though. Either decrease the rest time, or the speed, or the rep count. Never all three together, or you'll end up over doing it without realising.

The key with training and incremental progression is to leave your ego at the door. Just because a session doesn't feel like it's too difficult and you can push it harder, doesnt mean you should.

Anyway, I'm done rambling. Get running
Thanks for the reply I’ll keep this in mind.