Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Channel 4: Dispatches. Grenfell.

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by ThreadpigeonsAlpha, Feb 20, 2019.

1. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Right, I have been sat thinking about this programme for a few days, and I thought I would see what the views were on it.

I would rather get a honest view of what people thought, before I go into it.

Did anyone see it? Does anyone think it was a fair programme with balanced and well thought out views backed with evidence?

Discuss.

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Snafu

Snafu Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Personally I think it was unfair to lay the blame at the door of the fire service. They would never have been in the position at that time if the building wasn't clad in that material.
    Of course there were obvious failures in communication and some of their procedures which I am sure they have/are addressing as a result of this tragedy.
    I didn't like the attitude of some of the witnesses who gave evidence at the inquiry, very defensive and a bit dismissive.
    The anger of the residents and families was to be expected. Everyone wants someone to blame and someone to take responsibility when something so horrific happens and the fire service where the ones on the ground attempting to deal with the problem so I sympathise with the families.
    Back to the root of the problem - the cladding - if it wasn't shoddy, if it had been researched and tested appropriately, the fire service wouldn't have been required.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Personal opinion? It was a TV show with its own agendas to 'stimulate debate' rather than provide answers.
    Distilled, arguably Grenfell was caused by funding cuts—and not just the obvious ones—by multiple administrations over about forty years.
    It won't happen again. Until it happens again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Parhelia

Parhelia Member

It did seem quite biased against the fire service. It seemed like the producers of Dispatches and the inquiry board forgot that they have the benefit of hindsight, which the firefighters and controllers on the ground and in the control centre did not. It seemed quite unfair and harsh towards people who were just falling back on their training and doing the best that they could in terrible, extraordinary circumstances.

I can't help but feel like it's unfortunately one of those situations where they may have been damned if they did and damned if they didn't: no one will know exactly how things could have played out if the whole block had been evacuated sooner (but how soon?), and if people had died as a result of evacuating en masse from a building going up that quickly, I'm sure the inquiry would have criticised the fire service for ordering people to evacuate rather than stick to the stay put policy.

Either way, it was an appalling tragedy and I can't imagine how difficult the entire incident has been for anyone involved. I really do feel for anyone affected by what happened that night, it was truly shocking and the stuff of nightmares.

Like any incident like this, various flaws with procedure or individuals' actions will have been found and heavily scrutinised: the staff in the control room probably should have been made aware of the scale of the incident that was unfolding, but for whatever reason they weren't - maybe because people on the ground were too busy dealing with the incident at hand and just didn't think to tell control staff.

Hopefully, like with aviation incidents (using this example because they tend to be very good at learning from incidents), procedures will be reviewed and changed if it's deemed necessary and appropriate. But a bit like with aviation incidents, unfortunately no one knows how badly something will go wrong until it happens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1