chin ups

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i do i really suck at them at the moment i have been using a machine at the gym and pulling weight in the same way you would do pull ups to work the muscle because i can only do like 3

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ensure that you have a place where you can practise them throughout the day.

So maybe buy a pull-up bar for your house unless you live near some football goals or a suitable bus stop for doing pull-ups?

Apparantly a good method is the "greasing the groove" method.
If you max is 3, then try doing 1 rep every time you walk into or out of your kitchen (if that's the doorframe where your pull-up bar is fitted.)

If you go into your kitchen 20 times in the day, then thats 20 pull-ups in a day, but you hardly notice it. Then increase the reps as they become easier....

good luck

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i think i will purchase a pull up bar *text deleted* been using my cupboard *text deleted* opening the door and using the panel that runs alone the top but it dose kinda cut into your hand

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well with doing pull ups u really want to look at what muscles are being used whilst u pull ya self up , then isolate them and make them stronger .

The muscle that everyone suffers with including my self is the fore arm flexors that help with the bicep to pull u up.

do some simple wrist curls to strengthen them up

So id really look at the following muscles to strengthen up in the gym ( not in any order )

Forearm muscles
Biceps
Lats
and
Anterior deltoid ( front shoulder muscle )

If u need anymore help mate just let me know

hope this helps

p.s........ but keep doing your pull ups as well

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Muscle Memory, Simply practice...
I been lifting weights for 3 years, and since now i struggle with pullups... Since buying chinup bar from powertrainer.co.uk, i literally have gone from 3 pullups to 6 pullups in a week, by practicing each day every hour or two im in the house... practice is key

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
:D i went down my gym today and found a proper pull up aid machine its brilliant i dunno why i never noticed it before but no one really uses it the gym i go to is were all the proper body builders go so they dont use it but its really good u stand on a platform and it goes down to the floor and then u start doing pull ups and the platform has weights on it to push that up as well to aid you doing pull ups its really good *text deleted* go down there and do a load on it each day now as well as my normal stuff and each week take 5kg of until i can do a decent amount unaided then carry on with unaided once i have it on 15kg at the moment

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Never had probs with pull ups. Climbing does you good I think

Yeh climbing is really good for that. And for forearm muscles! We always had a challenge of who could climb the highest on a shallow overhang with arms only. Really good burn in the forearms afterwards.

Those pullup aided machines are apparently very good for improving your pullups. I've never used one, but having spoken to my self-appointed fitness instructor, he was singing their praises!

hangoutctc

Reaction score
circuits

has anyone been using the 'get fit to apply' training tool ? Im going to start it next week and hopefully apply around march time,which should be enough time to get into shape!

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hadn't even seen it, but having filled out my forms, got psychometric in a couple of days, gna start using it!

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i use the marine circuit of the site and the 100 pressups for breakfast circuit

Anthony88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a different view to some of the people who have commented on how to increase your pull ups, try both ways im not sayin mine is best.

I have been weight training since I was 13 and im 20 now, i trained competively as a bodybuilder for 4 years, this has helped me extremely and I have heard just about every technique for increasing strength on pullups, press ups, sit ups, bench press...etc..

In my opinion the best way to increase your strength for pull ups is to do them twice a week. If you do them everyday, you run the risk of overtraining your latissimus dorsi, this will only dent your progress.
Also, you should follow a program for each muscle involved (as previously mentioned), as well as the rest of your muscles, so your not imbalanced.

Here is a program you could try..

Whatever your max is, do one or two less each set.

Monday and Thursday
5 Sets of pullups, doing your chosen rep range. (Do the same amount of reps each set, even if you get tired and cannot complete the rep fully)

The next week you should try and do one more rep than you did last week on your first set.

And again for the following week, and so on...

P.S This is only what you should do for your pull ups, you should incorporate other exercise for your back in your workouts too.

There is only so much information you can type into a forum and I have only tipped the iceberg for strength training techniques so if anyone wants any help feel free to ask.

Hope i have helped.

Anthony