Chocolate Milk: The perfect PWO meal

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
Hi lads,

Just thought I'd share something with everyone about what I've found over the past few weeks. Apologies if it's a topic some of you may already be aware of.

So, about a month ago I read an article in the newspaper (not the Sun) about the performance enhancing effects of chocolate milk. The article claimed that chocolate milk is the only food that has an ideal 4:1 ratio of carbohydrate:protein,- making it perfect for after exercise. It also said that chocolate milk is Michael Phelps' supplement of choice between and after bouts of exercise.

After reading the article I did a few google searches and found a fair bit of evidence supporting the benefits of chocolate milk following exercise:

http://www.auburnpub.com/articles/2008/01/16/lake_life/lakelife05.txt

http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2006/06/announcing-the-new-sport-drink-chocolate-milk/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml

Over the past couple of weeks I've been buying chocolate milk from Tesco and drinking between 300-500ml straight after exercise. It costs hardly (about £1 per/litre) anything lads in comparison to all the hyped up supplements out there and I can honestly say I've had some really good results from using it. Aswell as it's sporting benefits, it's actually helped me clean up my diet too, because I don't seem to crave anything else sweet for the rest of the day after I've drank the chocolate milk. It's like a little treat but one that can be very beneficial for your recovery.

Bit of a random post, but I know a lot of lads myself included get roped in by the big supplelement companies and end up spending a fair bit.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i'm definitely *text deleted* try that! cheers mate

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think I'll keep to my ForGoodnessShakes

Mmm they are delicious aswell!

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds good. Will give it a go (=

Where do you get yours from, specifically, Luke?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeah I read in a running magazine about some triathlon bloke,
and he says have chocolate milk after a good workout.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
......And you can get a bottle free by visiting their website and filling in your address:

http://www.forgoodnessshakes.com/sample.aspx

Yeah I done this, only managed to get two vouchers though :notrust:

I'm all for freebies, cheers mate

Same here, they really are that delicious aswell. Don't bother with the cherry flavoured one, it's crap. Banana isn't much better either, nothing competes with the Chocolate one, it's out of this world!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
And then they see duplicate addresses and you get none?

rety

Reaction score
what you want after a workout is simple carbs, the reason for this is your blood sugar level are low so you replace them, but more importantly you get an insulin spike, this makes more of the nutrients in your body go to you muscles and help repair them. you also want some protien.
with both of these you want to be able to digest them fast, and the fats in the chocolate and milk will slow it down, so yeh its good, but not the best, and you probably need more protien than the amount in the milk.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Chocolate Milk is great after a workout, or for a meal replacement. You can think of chocolate milk as a mini protein drink, for cheap people *text deleted*. However it is still great, and easy to buy at any store quick. Make sure to stay away from the extra flavored Chocolate Milk though, such as Caramilk, Mr.Big, Butterfinger, just all the chocolate bar name brands. They have tons of added sugar and can kill you in the sugar and calorie department.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for that, good idea, I love chocolate milk and I love performance enhancing drugs so its a win win situation. By the way, when is the best time to drink it, before, during or after training?