Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Christchurch shootings: What happened in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Military News and Clips' started by News, Mar 15, 2019.

1. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    20 people were killed in the Philippines in January. When a Muslim attacked blew himself up.

I don’t remember any outrage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47018747

There’s already viable revenge threats. I can’t help but think this tit for tat mentality is fuelled by the media and everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room. His manifesto claims he has planned it since 2017 after a trip to Europe.

While the attack is horrific, it hasn’t really come as a surprise to me, I was saying to someone not long ago that it’s a surprise there hasn’t been a well planned “counter attack” (for want of a better world) in response to the horrendous attacks in the name of an aggressive fairytale. And now we can just sit and wait for the next move by “them” will be. Maybe a concert again, or a bus again, or maybe plough through some more people in a truck. Either way yet more innocent people will die.

As for the video circulating round, while it is distasteful, in the interest of free speech and freedom of expression not to mention the ability to talk, debate, disapprove, dissect and use, the better. Morbid videos have been around for a long time and people’s morbid obsessions of watching them.
    There’s footage online of the Nice attack, and various others. That’s reality. We can’t live in our comfort zone and ignore the big bad world.

As for the actual incident, It was a calm and calculating attack, and it was a terrorist attack, and it has a hint of dejavu with Andres Breivik, in planning execution and attitude within the court afterwards.

But once again, the mainstream media will use it as an attempt to silence the people and step that little bit closer towards their bias.

And since when did the hand gesture from the circle game become a symbol for white supremacy? Or was it bad journalism in an attempt to rile up views and opinions and offer it to yet more sensationalism.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    From what I have read I am pretty certain he was running out, And happened to stumble into the attacker.

• Seen Seen x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Fully agree. My concern was that someone decided I'd want to watch it, in fact, didn't give me the choice.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Oh yea Definately. It’s one thing to consensually watch something like that, but to send it/expect other people to watch it or even force them to watch it is completely out of order.

• Like Like x 3
  5. News

News RSS Feed

The Christchurch mosque attacks have stunned Muslims and non-Muslims alike, writes Jay Savage.

Continue reading...

6. rkec

rkec Member

That's the thing that. I get the feeling some of these people are silently happy with what happened yesterday because it gives them airtime to push their own censorship agendas.

7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yep!

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

That ship sailed long ago. The People's Republic of China invests mind boggling resources in attempting to control its citizens' internet content access with only limited success.

However, if I controlled the internet I'd prevent some of my FB friends from relentlessly trashing their friends and partners via obscure and unconvincingly subtle memes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  10. rkec

rkec Member

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Interesting. Wonder if the person that whatsapped the video to me has broken the law in UK?

Pretty sure I found it objectionable, but put it down to the fact the individual must've thought I'd want to see it.

I didn't, but don't think it was a crime.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

If the content doesn't fit into one of the already established categories of offensive material there still remains the matter of it causing alarm or distress to the recipient. From memory at least one person was successfully prosecuted for distributing videos of Daesh beheadings to the mobile devices of his associates.

13. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

As a Police Officer who attended the MEN arena attack I know all too well the effects of senseless terrorism and the pain it creates on families & communities. My heart genuinely aches for NZ. It is hard to imagine the scene and we should spare a thought for the bobbies out there that have to clear that scene. This will shake New Zealand for many, many years.

Police forces across the U.K. have all received the same briefing pack to provide reassurance and high visibility patrols around Islamic places of worship and gathering.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Depending on the intention of the sender, potentially an offence of Malicious Communications has been committed.

It is an offence to send any electronic communication which conveys a message that is grossly offensive with intent to cause the recipient distress or anxiety.

Also there is a potential that Terrorism Act offences may be committed. Sharing the video may be assessed as inspiring further crimes and might be regarded as terrorist propaganda.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Nice one, cheers.

I'll just put it down to the fact the individual is bone or has a low opion of me, rather than set out to deliberately cause distress.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Sums up just about all comms I get from HMRC. :(

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  17. rkec

rkec Member

I believe they have just updated the Terrorism Laws with an extra line that says if you view it only once, you can now be prosecuted. Obviously need to be more circumstances for this to come into effect but I guess watching it once can get you arrested, then if they can't find the other evidence I suppose they could release you.

The previous law referred to storing content I believe and I think you had to have watched it three times. I think they changed it because some were viewing it as a stream from the internet rather than storing it.

Bye Bye Ninja :(

On a even sadder note, there may have been a reprisal attack on a Tram in Utrecht this morning - 2 gunman on the loose. Incident ongoing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  18. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

I’m conscious of dragging the thread off topic.

But just to reassure and nip an urban myth in the bud. No one is committing offences by viewing content such as this once. If that was the case the home office crime recording standards would implode.

The media have been quite sensationalist with this. Quite simply the updated legislation is amending certain terrorism offences to update them for this new and scary digital age. It’s mainly focused on closing gaps in radicalisation attempts.
    Anyway I’ll stop rambling. Awful news about Holland and the tram shooting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  19. R

R Well-Known Member

Interesting what is the legal process for establishing the intent of the sender to the recipient?

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. News

News RSS Feed

Details of gun law reforms will come within days following the Christchurch shootings, Jacinda Ardern says.

Continue reading...