Christmas Leave - thinking of quitting?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The idea of this thread is to invite those already in Recruit Training to network with fellow troop members to help act as a social support network to help stave-off the dreaded "Lympstone Blues".

For those unaware of the phenomena, particularly Parents and Partners, it is quite common for those who have not long joined the Royal Marines to have a crisis of confidence after the stark contrast following the intense burst of the rigours undergone in recruit training just prior to going on leave.

This is followed by the sudden change to the luxury of Mum's cooking, one's own single bedroom (void of half a dozen noisy room-mates), a comfy bed, meeting-up again with partners & civilian friends, and the relaxation of getting-up when you please.

The 'Blues' kick-in when it comes to motivating yourself to get back on that train and return to Recruit Training.

After every leave period we witness a significant increase in the numbers of individuals who return, down in the dumps, completely 'threaders' and 'hacked-off', and who then opt-out before they've given it time to re-adjust and settle back into the daily routine. Time and again they leave CTC on the Monday only to return to their AFCO on the Friday, uttering the words: "I've made a huge mistake".

The tip? Keep your phys ticking-over. Don't make it any more difficult than it need be upon your return.

When recruits wrap, there is very often a caveat attached preventing re-entry into the Corps for up to a couple of years. Most likely cause? No phys whilst on leave...they know it's going to hurt!

This year, once again, we would very much like to address this issue, help you mull things over and try to help & guide you to avoid the "lemming effect".

For those who have recently joined or are about to join the Corps, this thread will probably appear insignificant just now but just put it to the back of your mind.

For Parents & Partners, remember this is a common phenomenon - don't let your nod get too comfy - lob a bucket of cold water over them each morning around 5 am, shout at them more than usual & make them go for a five mile run before breakfast. Lock the fridge and make them glad to go back to the warm embrace of CTC :)

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
As always lads, I am available to have a chat with should you think of wrapping. I frequent CTCRM often and can easily find some time in my day to give you a pep talk, should you need it. Feel free to PM me beforehand.

PS

Obviously I am separate from the training teams down there so you haven't got to worry about anything getting back to them.

Maiden666

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's hard having your nod home and not try to spoil them. My nod wished he hadn't had Christmas now as he is going back to week 6 and knows how hard it will be. He is keeping up with the training regime (and the eating) and seems very positive about going back. I've enjoyed his stories which we have all had a good laugh at, so fingers crossed he feels the same in a week's time.

Maiden666

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Probably but he sounds very positive. Although last time he walked through the gate he didn't know what to expect.
Now he knows what is ahead so I'm not sure if that is a good thing o a bad thing

Pez1962

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Mine hated going back after summer leave which was 3 weeks. Best advice from a mum's perspective - a quick hug, a gentle push away and a I'll see you next leave. Don't question how they feel, be positive and talk about the next exercise /training coming up. If that sounds heartless believe me this was all done fighting back the tears especially as he trudged over the bridge but it worked and within a few hours I had a call saying all good and back in the swing of it.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
He’s in my troop, bet he’ll still be anxious walking through that gate:D
He'd be a bit odd if he didn't. :D

Everyone feels pretty crap going back, the danger is feeding off each other's anxieties and thinking if others wrap, it's OK to do the same. Those quitting tend to try and convince eveyone else they're doing the right thing and you then get the lemming effect/herd instinct.

Keep the phys going, you'll have one less thing to worry about.

One of the things that has always mystified me is those who go home on leave and find themselves much admired by their social circle, particularly by people they are attracted to. The bit that defies logic is that they sometimes fail to realise the reason people find them interesting and different is because they are in the armed forces...but they still quit!

Once they quit & return home in the assumption they still hold the same revered esteem, they soon realise they are the same as everyone else, the only difference being they failed training.

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
I've been 'in' 12 years and I am still thrust into an existential crisis every time I have to go back following leave.

As Nietzsche said: "if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee"

It's part of the romance of the job o_O

RM2977

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know two lads who went to put their chits in after christmas leave. One eventually decided to stay, and passed out several months later. The other left training, and now a year later he's thinking about trying again.

Even trained ranks feel *text deleted* sometimes coming back after leave, you just have to stick with it.

mikey123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I know two lads who went to put their chits in after christmas leave. One eventually decided to stay, and passed out several months later. The other left training, and now a year later he's thinking about trying again.

Even trained ranks feel *text deleted* sometimes coming back after leave, you just have to stick with it.

i concure, *text deleted* been passed out for 6 months and i still have the blues of going back after leave

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
i concure, *text deleted* been passed out for 6 months and i still have the blues of going back after leave
Me too, I'm back in Portsmouth tomorrow, just stopped at M6 toll service station and fully sympathise with how it must feel - it's bad enough as a recruiter, let alone being a recruit. :(

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
it's a hard time of year when you have stuff like this and can feel very daunting and lonely when you don't have the support at home you'd like or indeed a "supporter" gets rid of you, and sometimes you feel like you have no-one to talk to. Not a nice time of year in my opinion!
Just think, this time next week you'll be in the field and all that won't matter when you get rounds downrange. That's my motivation at the moment