Circuit

AreJay

Reaction score
Alright lads, just wondering if you think this circuit is good enough or if it needs improvement, leaves me feeling like *text deleted* and blowining out my arse but want other peoples input. Cheers

4 sets, renegade rows and curls done with 10kg dumbells

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 74

Jaguar2187

Reaction score
Looks good to me. I try to use a different circuit each session to mix things up a bit, but they're all roughly similar to that. Fintans are well worth trying if you haven't done so already

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
One circuit I use if you've got the resources available is:

500m row (1:45-1:40)
15 burpees
12 tire flips
20 battle ropes (could exchange these for squat/box jumps etc)

AMRAP 30 mins (As many rounds as possible in 30 minutes)

If you do this properly without any breaks you should be blowing pretty early on. You can change it as you wish but I found it just smashes your CV and is a change from going out for a mundane run.

AreJay

Reaction score
Looks good to me. I try to use a different circuit each session to mix things up a bit, but they're all roughly similar to that. Fintans are well worth trying if you haven't done so already
Cheers mate, yeah i'm going to include fintans heard they're effective, Just good to know i'm on the right tracks

AreJay

Reaction score
One circuit I use if you've got the resources available is:

500m row (1:45-1:40)
15 burpees
12 tire flips
20 battle ropes (could exchange these for squat/box jumps etc)

AMRAP 30 mins (As many rounds as possible in 30 minutes)

If you do this properly without any breaks you should be blowing pretty early on. You can change it as you wish but I found it just smashes your CV and is a change from going out for a mundane run.
Yeah my local gyms got most of that equipment not sure about the tire flips but i could figure some alternative if not, that does sound like it'll have me in bits though which is good haha, yeah thats it circuits are just as vital as running. Cheers for the help mate

Jaguar2187

Reaction score
One thing you can do is circuit training whilst on a run. There's an area near some fields where I live where there happens to be a number of obstacles, which I'll use for the following:

Low bar (incline pull ups, basic dips)
Small ledge (box jumps and reverse dips)
Wooden bench (incline press ups, jumping squats, basic dips, bench hops)
Fence corner (full dips, leg raises)
Disused building with overhanging ledge (pull ups, straight bar dips)

400m or so start to finish, run to each exercise.

Each set is finished off with 40m or so of bunny hops, 3x 6ft wall climbs and an 800m sprint

I'll do that about three times through during the middle of a run, once a week. Obviously, non of the obstacles I've described above are intended for that, but if you have a quick look around during a run you can find quite a bit of stuff which you can easily make into a kind of gym. Doesn't cost a gym membership, and it kind of mimics the bottom field part of PRMC.

I'm no expert on phys, but it's worked pretty well for me.

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly mate I don’t understand why you’ve included curls? I get that there’s some bicep activation when it comes to pull ups but that’s simply improved by just doing more pull ups.

It’s a good idea to have your training replicate BF as closely as you can.

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Having curls in a circuit isn’t going to have a detrimental affect, the aim of a circuit is for a full body blowout, curls are just one part of this circuit and this circuit is perfectly covering everything he needs.

Problems arise when people dedicate a whole session to their biceps, or any mirror muscle for the matter.

My two key points for this:
1. Ensure progression after every 1 - 3 uses of this circuit by increasing rounds and/or reps.
2. It would be a good idea to include some more specific leg work I.e. goblet Squats or lunges

Hope this helps

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Having curls in a circuit isn’t going to have a detrimental affect, the aim of a circuit is for a full body blowout, curls are just one part of this circuit and this circuit is perfectly covering everything he needs.

Problems arise when people dedicate a whole session to their biceps, or any mirror muscle for the matter.

Fair point but what’s the use In having an isolation movement when it can be swapped out for another compound movement ( battle ropes, box jumps, lunges, dips etc) which will give far better results in terms of development.

This is just my opinion, if OP wants to do curls and it works for him then crack on, but I’m not seeing any use in doing an exercise that isolates a single muscle group.

AreJay

Reaction score
One thing you can do is circuit training whilst on a run. There's an area near some fields where I live where there happens to be a number of obstacles, which I'll use for the following:

Low bar (incline pull ups, basic dips)
Small ledge (box jumps and reverse dips)
Wooden bench (incline press ups, jumping squats, basic dips, bench hops)
Fence corner (full dips, leg raises)
Disused building with overhanging ledge (pull ups, straight bar dips)

400m or so start to finish, run to each exercise.

Each set is finished off with 40m or so of bunny hops, 3x 6ft wall climbs and an 800m sprint

I'll do that about three times through during the middle of a run, once a week. Obviously, non of the obstacles I've described above are intended for that, but if you have a quick look around during a run you can find quite a bit of stuff which you can easily make into a kind of gym. Doesn't cost a gym membership, and it kind of mimics the bottom field part of PRMC.

I'm no expert on phys, but it's worked pretty well for me.
That does sound *text deleted*ing beasty mate haha, i do chuck in body weight excercises when im doing hill sprints but theres not really many obastacles to use on my routes, worth a look though to mix things up a bit cheers, what sort of pace and distance you running at when you bring the circuits into it?

Last edited:

AreJay

Reaction score
Honestly mate I don’t understand why you’ve included curls? I get that there’s some bicep activation when it comes to pull ups but that’s simply improved by just doing more pull ups.

Just trying to throw in exercises really mate because i found even though it's an isolated muscle group it's still such a struggle in the later parts of the set. Point taken though i see what you're saying cheers.

AreJay

Reaction score

My two key points for this:
1. Ensure progression after every 1 - 3 uses of this circuit by increasing rounds and/or reps.
2. It would be a good idea to include some more specific leg work I.e. goblet Squats or lunges

Hope this helps
That was how i was looking at it. As long as i had the main exercises that relate to training covered, i didn't think a few specific exercises like bicep curls would be a problem because my aim is just to be dead at the end and know ive worked haha.

Yeah i'll defintiely include those type of leg exercises i want to gradually add more onto the circuits anyway, cheers mate.

Jaguar2187

Reaction score
That does sound *text deleted*ing beasty mate haha, i do chuck in body weight excercises when I'm doing hill sprints but theres not really many obastacles to use on my routes, worth a look though to mix things up a bit cheers, what sort of pace and distance you running at when you bring the circuits into it?
It can vary to be honest, sometimes I'll do 12 k or so, then do that circuit towards the end. The first part of the run will be at a normal pace, ie: the first 10k in just over 40 minutes or so. After the circuit the pace will be much slower; your legs will be knackered from the squats, etc, as well as the running previously. Sometimes I'll simply just run there, do the circuit and run back, so only a 3 k run or so. The actual circuit will normally take me just over an hour though normally.

AreJay

Reaction score
It can vary to be honest, sometimes I'll do 12 k or so, then do that circuit towards the end. The first part of the run will be at a normal pace, ie: the first 10k in just over 40 minutes or so. After the circuit the pace will be much slower; your legs will be knackered from the squats, etc, as well as the running previously. Sometimes I'll simply just run there, do the circuit and run back, so only a 3 k run or so. The actual circuit will normally take me just over an hour though normally.
Yeah that sounds good man 12k and a circuit has got to be a killer haha, *text deleted* i've only been back into my training the last 3 weeks doing two sessions a day running in the morning circuits in the evening vice versa. But as time goes on id like to mix circuits and running, saw one on here i want to try, it's like 9 exercises, you do one, then sprint 30m, then do another, then sprint 30m and so on through out, like 3 sets and at the end of each set you sprint the length of two football fields, sounds horrible in a good way haha.

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Got to do curls for the girls my man