CIVILIANS are to oversee Royal Marine training for the first time in a controversial move that will also make money.“

Reaction score
Yea definitely, plus the covid situation will no doubt be force people to rejoin so will skew the recruitment numbers.

That’s actually horrendous! How can civvies with no idea or haven’t done any military training or operations be running something like a PRMC?! I would have absolutely zero respect for them.

Is this still a thing?!

Most, though I don't think all, were ex-army. So there was personal respect.

But, ultimately, they are still civilians not subject to military law - just dressed in military-ish uniforms; legitimacy by proxy.

The precedent that is set still makes me uncomfortable, and I can see it extending to beyond ordering non-attested candidates about, in the same way that PCSOs (not sworn constables) were eventually given some powers of sworn constables.

You swear an oath to follow the orders of those set above you who have also taken the oath and are subject to the same terms of service, I don't think its wise to start messing with that just because its cheaper.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
When I went for Army Selection Centre at Lichfield back in 2015, they hired what seemed to be some sort of hybrid organisation of ex army that were technically civvies working part time as instructors on the course. They all told us their background and all had multiple tours. There were also serving trained ranks (Sgt's etc) taking us as well.
Fair enough if they were ex serving. But it sets a bad precedence. Why should it be contracted out to make a private company richer.
The forces should be Apolitical and not have influences or private companies having a major influence.

It’s the same as the Corps promoting that god awful civvie military college as a way for them to need to get in and pass. It’s not a substitute for proper education and shouldn’t be promoted exclusively by the corps.
If a private company wants to do something, then fine, on you go. But it shouldn’t be directly supported or inflicted or controlling any parts of the Military.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Most, though I don't think all, were ex-army. So there was personal respect.

But, ultimately, they are still civilians not subject to military law - just dressed in military-ish uniforms; legitimacy by proxy.

The precedent that is set still makes me uncomfortable, and I can see it extending to beyond ordering non-attested candidates about, in the same way that PCSOs (not sworn constables) were eventually given some powers of sworn constables.

You swear an oath to follow the orders of those set above you who have also taken the oath and are subject to the same terms of service, I don't think its wise to start messing with that just because its cheaper.
Don’t get me started in PCSOs.

Chelonian

Reaction score
It’s the same as the Corps promoting that god awful civvie military college as a way for them to need to get in and pass. It’s not a substitute for proper education and shouldn’t be promoted exclusively by the corps.
I have my doubts about this too but for some youngsters a 'military style' college or a public services course might be a good option rather than completely falling out of education.

Back in the day all gate security duties were staffed by Trained Ranks. Then it was outsourced to MoD Plod and then to civilian contractors which often employ former service personnel.

On the topic of civilian instructors I once met a tiny Welsh lady who was an expert on fungi. Still working into her eighties she tutored 22 SAS on woodland foraging. :)

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I have my doubts about this too but for some youngsters a 'military style' college or a public services course might be a good option rather than completely falling out of education.

Back in the day all gate security duties were staffed by Trained Ranks. Then it was outsourced to MoD Plod and then to civilian contractors which often employ former service personnel.

On the topic of civilian instructors I once met a tiny Welsh lady who was an expert on fungi. Still working into her eighties she tutored 22 SAS on woodland foraging. :)
Yea I get that, but it shouldn’t be exclusively encouraged by the corps.

it’s an option, but as soon as the corps recommend it, it’s could be seen by unknowing recruits/young people as a “must” and will drop out of perfectly good education, or pressure unknowing parents or guardians into spending however much it costs.

I’ve heard that exact same dit about the fungi lady from several people, so it has to be true!

Chelonian

Reaction score
I’ve heard that exact same dit about the fungi lady from several people, so it has to be true!
She's the grandmother of a woman my brother dated. As tempted as I am by the notion of foraging I avoid potential multiple organ failure by buying my mushrooms from Tesco. :)

I agree that military colleges shouldn't be regarded as the only solution to fails at PRMC (when those were running) unless the youngsters were also mentored by CTCRM about other options. Which they weren't.

Latest posts

New Threads