Clicking and Lower back pain when doing sit ups

adamski.

Reaction score
Hi,

When I'm doing sit ups I notice that on the way down that my back is clicking and my lower back becomes sore, a dull ache. It seems to affect me more when I'm going quicker, if it's slow enough then it seems to be ok, but this means that it takes mean about two and a half minutes to do 60 sit ups.

I'm trying to strengthen my back with supermen and some dead lifts and I have bought a yoga mat to protect my back from the wooden floor.

Is there anything else I could do to prevent and solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Baron

Reaction score
I used to suffer with similar problems.

I literally have no idea what it was, but I found that by concentrating on the following exercises, my lower back thanked me for it...

Hanging Leg Raises
Deadlift
Hyperextension
Any variation of The Plank
Machine Crunches

Work on strengthening your core, and see if that helps when you go back to doing sit ups.

Just to add, I think 'Sit Ups' are a terrible exercise and can cause unnecessary stress on certain parts of the body.

Chrisswan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
only time i ever do sit ups really is when i test how many i can do... i bang in a set now and then but most times i just work the core and lower back and obliques which seem to be doing me well

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers guys, I'll do these then and see if it helps.
I used to think i had some either artiritus in my spine or like a cirvature if thats how you spell it of the spine... turns out i have neither and the problem was my core muscles namely my abs. Apparently my back was compensating for a weak core, now i do as many exercises as i can to strengthen these muscles and i get this same kind of ache far less... work on your flexibility aswell.

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I hardly ever do normal situps! Hate them, like baron said different exercises that strengthen the core will help.