Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Clicking Joints

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by RM_Yorkshire, Jul 9, 2019.

1. RM_Yorkshire

RM_Yorkshire New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Don’t know if this is an issue. But when I am doing press ups (Marine style only) my elbows and shoulders both click in unison.

I don’t have any pain, just an annoying click! Don’t know if I should be worried about this or if it is nothing. Anyone else had similar issues?

Be prudent to note that I am in a fine bill of health with no joint or ligament or any other diagnosis that could answer this question.

2. Geespt

Geespt Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Nothing to worry about! As long as theres no pain!

As we age the tissue that covers the bones called cartilage can develop uneven areas. For example when we squat or stand sounds come from these rougher surfaces gliding across each other in our knees. It could also be the tissue that connects bones to other bones these are called ligaments and they can be tightening as you move, or the joint lining moving over bones.

Having some stretching sessions will help as this will increase elasticity in muscles and i’ve heard cod liver oil also helps!

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My knees and other joints have been clicking for the past forty years. Nothing to worry about.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. RM_Yorkshire

RM_Yorkshire New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Nice one thank you. I do a good stretching routine on a morning and before bed along with foam rolling. So maybe that’ll help a bit. Just didn’t want to pop a shoulder randomly haha.

• Seen Seen x 1
  5. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

Clicking joints is caused by lax tendon sinew and effects many people irrespective of their age. It's not a medical problem and will not bar you from joining up. Chill.

• Like Like x 1
  6. physiomum

physiomum Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Don’t worry if there’s no pain you’re pretty normal;)

7. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

I wouldn’t go that far. He’s from Yorkshire!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  8. physiomum

physiomum Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    So am I!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RM_Yorkshire

RM_Yorkshire New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Gods own Country

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Snapping and popping of joints is common. The sound you hear is caused by air bubbles in the synovial fluid – the liquid that surrounds and lubricates your joints – and by the snapping of tightly stretched ligaments as they slide off one bony surface onto another.

When not accompanied by pain, noisy joints are harmless.

11. RM_Yorkshire

RM_Yorkshire New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Sound mate cheers. I’m obviously overthinking this *text deleted*. Putting a shed load of time into training to ensue I'm ready and everything I hear or feel with my body I’m like WTF is that ahaha. Just need to chill a bit I think *text deleted*

• Like Like x 1
  12. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Don’t worry. It’s natural to be concerned & it shows how much you want this.
    Still the best advice would be to remain physically active and continue to exercise. No pain- no issue.

It is likely that the problem will gradually settle with time and should not be a cause for concern later down the line.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RM_Yorkshire

RM_Yorkshire New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Good to know that it’ll hopefully subside. Just an annoyance listening to it all the time.

Yeah, this is very much wanted. Will stop at nothing till I get that lid. May take me a while as RMR but the dream is there!

• Like Like x 1