Climbing rope

jamie_82

Reaction score
Does anyone know what thickness the ropes they use at the PRMC are? They look like the thicker 2 inch ones??
I'm just about to order some climbing rope up as i can fit a 12ft section over my stairs. It's not as high as the ones they use but it's practise none the less!! :)
I found some pukka military Manila Ropes that the but they are in the USA :(

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
12ft isnt really that much to work with, before I've even taken my first stretch I could easily have climbed 8 foot. By my first stretch 14ft at least.

I'd say not really worth the effort in my opinion. As I've said to others before, thousands have done it before you and thousands will do it after you, all without a rope under the stairs.

jamie_82

Reaction score
12ft isnt really that much to work with, before I've even taken my first stretch I could easily have climbed 8 foot. By my first stretch 14ft at least.

I'd say not really worth the effort in my opinion. As I've said to others before, thousands have done it before you and thousands will do it after you, all without a rope under the stairs.
haha well i live in a flat so no trees of my own out the back to hang a larger one unfortunately.
I just thought it would be better than nothing. I can just shimmy down and go striaght back up again. A bit repetitive but still works the biceps :)
Saying that i suppose i could hang one up at my parents house. They have some big oak trees in their garden. Lots of room and plenty high enough. I'd have to do a 10 min drive everytime i wanted some practice though.....oh well. Gota do what ya gota do i guess. Parents house it is then. :)
Do you know if they are 1.5" or 2" mate?

Batter

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The ropes inside are thinner than the ones outside so either size 1.5 or 2 your *text deleted**text deleted** use them when your down Lympstone.

jamie_82

Reaction score
The ropes inside are thinner than the ones outside so either size 1.5 or 2 your *text deleted**text deleted** use them when your down Lympstone.
Thanks for that mate.

Illustrious

Reaction score
Another point to add is technique. Do not learn a crap technique or you'll have it thrashed out of you.

jamie_82

Reaction score
Another point to add is technique. Do not learn a crap technique or you'll have it thrashed out of you.
Cheers mate. I've been studying as many videos on it as i can.
A lot of people talk about how many peole fail on it....to me it looks like the biggest part i would enjoy haha

ross90rmc

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Bit pointless really. As illustrious said, worst thing could be to teach yourself wrong technique and then pay for it in the gym. Teaching somebody to do something they can already do but in a totally new way is much harder than teaching something from scratch.

People come up with some crazy ideas on this site, guys on about buying tubes from builders yards to practise the smartie tubes on endurance haha!

If you've passed prmc, break your boots in, maintain fitness, practice ironing and maybe learn to map read. These will help you no end. Buying your own rope to practise climbs will be more effort than its worth.

If you haven't passed prmc. Do that first.

jamie_82

Reaction score
Bit pointless really. As illustrious said, worst thing could be to teach yourself wrong technique and then pay for it in the gym. Teaching somebody to do something they can already do but in a totally new way is much harder than teaching something from scratch.

People come up with some crazy ideas on this site, guys on about buying tubes from builders yards to practise the smartie tubes on endurance haha!

If you've passed prmc, break your boots in, maintain fitness, practice ironing and maybe learn to map read. These will help you no end. Buying your own rope to practise climbs will be more effort than its worth.

If you haven't passed prmc. Do that first.
Sorry mate but i have to dissagree. The way i see it is that it's more upper body strength training to do. I don't do any exercises down the gym that simulate rope climbing so the more rope climbing i do (regardless of technique) the better i will prepare my body for going through the same sort of motions.
Each to their own i guess but for me it will be more specific strength training that will be more related to what i have to do at PRMC than anything i currently do down the gym.
Peace.

Illustrious

Reaction score
You won't be doing rope climbs on PRMC so that's a moot point. Specific training is not what we're about. All over functional fitness is our goal. Like I've stated, the benefits will be negligible compared to the consequences of picking up bad habits. The only strength you need for rope climbs is forearms & grip along with a flexible core.

jamie_82

Reaction score
You won't be doing rope climbs on PRMC so that's a moot point. Specific training is not what we're about. All over functional fitness is our goal. Like I've stated, the benefits will be negligible compared to the consequences of picking up bad habits. The only strength you need for rope climbs is forearms & grip along with a flexible core.
I know specific training is not what you're about. I didn't mean to imply or think that it was. I just wanted to add something that was more specific into an already large array of different training methods and exercises that i already do.
I appreciate your comments none the less mate. Thank you.

ross90rmc

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
They don't do rope climbs at prmc.

They do however do press ups, sit ups, pull ups, swimming, and running. Lots and lots of running. You be better cracking on with that as opposed to learning something they're going to reach you how to do anyway. Once you're in recruit training.

No good getting to prmc good at rope climbs, yet not fit enough to pass the course.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think everyone is giving him a hard time over rope climbs for no reason.

No they are not done at PRMC, yes it is possible that imperfect form is used, but it is still a valuable piece of training.

They are quite commonplace in Crossfit training, as part of a circuit. It is also encouraged to learn various techniques.

Being proficient at rope climbing beforehand will not mean that you are an absolute disaster when you arrive at CTC and try and do RM technique. On the contrary, the already establish proficiency will enable you to adapt more quickly.

Naturally you need to be prepared for everything else at PRMC. Make sure you do everything to standard, and keep the rope climbs as a training supplement.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously it would be important to try and use marine form if you're going to do them, just so the transition isn't as hard when down at CTC.

One advantage you'll have is that you probably won't get tendonitis in your wrists during foundation, when all the other lads do, because you'll have already crossed that hurdle.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously it would be important to try and use marine form if you're going to do them, just so the transition isn't as hard when down at CTC.

One advantage you'll have is that you probably won't get tendonitis in your wrists during foundation, when all the other lads do, because you'll have already crossed that hurdle.
Simple answer, wrap two towels over your pull up bar, grip, hang on...

Simples..

Makes pullups and regains easier as well once you've got a vice-like grip!

jamie_82

Reaction score
They don't do rope climbs at prmc.

They do however do press ups, sit ups, pull ups, swimming, and running. Lots and lots of running. You be better cracking on with that as opposed to learning something they're going to reach you how to do anyway. Once you're in recruit training.

No good getting to prmc good at rope climbs, yet not fit enough to pass the course.
They don't do them at PRMC? Oh ok cool. I didn't know that so cheers. And yes i'll be prioritising other things in my training. The rope climbing was only intended as an "add in" to my routine and pretty much just some fun! haha I love climbing! I'm like a little monkey sometimes haha

jamie_82

Reaction score
I think everyone is giving him a hard time over rope climbs for no reason.

No they are not done at PRMC, yes it is possible that imperfect form is used, but it is still a valuable piece of training.

They are quite commonplace in Crossfit training, as part of a circuit. It is also encouraged to learn various techniques.

Being proficient at rope climbing beforehand will not mean that you are an absolute disaster when you arrive at CTC and try and do RM technique. On the contrary, the already establish proficiency will enable you to adapt more quickly.

Naturally you need to be prepared for everything else at PRMC. Make sure you do everything to standard, and keep the rope climbs as a training supplement.
Cheers mate. You made some points which i was trying to make but think i failed at L.OL
And yes a "supplement" was all it was intended to be anyway. :)

jamie_82

Reaction score
Simple answer, wrap two towels over your pull up bar, grip, hang on...

Simples..

Makes pullups and regains easier as well once you've got a vice-like grip!
haha might give that a go!
I used to do lots of work on my flexor muscles in my forearms.
Such as:
Reverse wrist curls on a barbell.....
If your gym has those weighted bars that the girls use for aerobics use them and do standing wrist raises.....
Or my favourite was to sit on the end of a flat bench legs at 90 and rest your forearms on your quads with your wrists joints just over the edge of your knees and your elbows where your pockets would be so basically your handles are just dangling over the edge....the get a barbell and do wrist curls. Build your inner flexors up a treat and makes them rock solid!
Mine are just flaps of skin these days though :biggrin: Im looking forward to getting back the 3 stone of muscle i've lost over the last 3 years due do ex girlfriends and work releated stress! Applying for the RMR's has given me the drive i badly need!! Cant wait!

ross90rmc

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
They don't do them at PRMC? Oh ok cool. I didn't know that so cheers. And yes i'll be prioritising other things in my training. The rope climbing was only intended as an "add in" to my routine and pretty much just some fun! haha I love climbing! I'm like a little monkey sometimes haha
Cool mate. Nothing wrong with it as an addition. Just not a priority. Good luck, welcome to the forum.