Collage

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
College

Anyone Know of any courses at college which would help me for the marines etc or of any forces courses?. Just theres a public services course at my college and a mate said that they do stuff for the forces but im not sure if hes just saying that cause hes doing it :laugh: .. Anyone know? .. and is there such thing as a specific forces college course?

Cheers
Rusty

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My friend did a Public Services course and it involved leadership exercises and going on a training week with the Army doing assault courses and stuff, that would be awesome for the Marines but your school/college might do it differently so you should ask.

goldenboyz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone Know of any courses at college which would help me for the marines etc or of any forces courses?. Just theres a public services course at my college and a mate said that they do stuff for the forces but im not sure if hes just saying that cause hes doing it :laugh: .. Anyone know? .. and is there such thing as a specific forces college course?

Cheers
Rusty
i did public services / uniformed services for 2 years mate and i assure you it has so much to do with the forces. we had various trips to the army (para's, royal anglians ect) navy, MARINES (CTCRM), raf, police and fire service. although it all depends on the course tutors to organise these trips, they generally have a requirement from the exam board the awards the qualification!. other things we done included leadership, DofE, first aid, and lots of phys :P. its a really enjoyable course mate

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I thought you wanted to go to that fitness armed forces prep college in wales?

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I gave you the site and you signed up for it, you sent them an email.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Check you hotmail outbox and youl find the email you sent *text deleted*, i did work for the fbi you know i can fidn out anything you didnt want me to know...:rally_drive:

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Im doing Public services *text deleted*, and we have a few days where the Navy/Army?RAF have come in and done presentations and team building activities with them. (Y)

:bud:

J

Jason_A

I've applied for an apprenticeship at Bentley, BMW & Ford. :D

If I end up joining the services, it won't be till I'm 18.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i didnt get into college *text deleted*, but that means i can focus more on training.
im glad i didnt get into colelge therwes nothing thats interesting me except carpentry.

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I’m starting the uniformed public services course in September, we have to buy boots and waterproofs, so I’m guessing ill be outside a lot, so it should be good and I can leave after the first year and still get 1 a-level equivalent.

J

Jason_A

i didnt get into college *text deleted*, but that means i can focus more on training.
im glad i didnt get into colelge therwes nothing thats interesting me except carpentry.
Dole for you then haha. It really is best to get an apprenticeship somewhere, before considering the marines. If you get in the Marines, then when you come out, you will be relied upon Loan Sharks. That's why it's best to get an apprenticeship, and get a pass on the course.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I’m starting the uniformed public services course in September, we have to buy boots and waterproofs, so I’m guessing ill be outside a lot, so it should be good and I can leave after the first year and still get 1 a-level equivalent.
we r being made to wear combat trousers and t-shirt this year :S

the camping weeks r the best, *text deleted* the rest of my group probably never heard of camping before so it was piece of piss for me :D

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yew theres a place where they do carpentry apprentaships close by me, il look um up sometime.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
woah hang on a minute..

i done a public services course and it was rubbish. i hardly went out with the course, maybe 4 times in two years. we never got to go to any army or marine camps away or anything like that for the whole of the two years.

i had to ask the outdoor ed course if i could tag along on some of their trips.

i would personally suggest going for an outdoor ed course as although its not directed towards getting into the public services it gives you experiance in the outdoors and you can get qualifications from it, from basic expedition leader up to mountain leader where you become more qualified than military mountain leaders.

on top of that the marines dont even care about the public services course. if you want the marines to recognise your qualification then you will have to go for A levels. and in all honesty you dont even need them unless your joining as an officer.

my experiance of a public services course was crap, i wish i could go back and do something else instead. however it did mature me and because of our fitness instructor being ex army my fitness was pretty good.

i would personally strongly suggest a outdoor ed course, everyone on my course and i mean everyone (im not exageratting) said they wish they done a different course. about 15 finished out of 30.

on a lighter note some public services course have better things going on. so you can end up having a good time, but the paperwork is too much hassle.

basically just make sure what your being offered you get, talk to people who have done that course in the college your going to befor you consider saying yes.

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
*text deleted* probs a bit too late now but, i just finished a level 3 course in Uniformed Services which gets you fit! teaches you everything you need to know from advanced map and navigational skills to self defence!

so if your reading this and want a gr8 college course that will really help you out with the armed forces and will look gr8 on your CV choose Uniformed Services Level 3!

i warn you though! be prepared for ALLOT of paper work!

i even particapated in a Royal Marines Fitness Challenge up in RMR Tyne, here i competed against 35 other colleges and won first place! EXTREMELY tough tho!

J

Jason_A

I was going do that Uniformed Services at college but then decided not to. Instead, I've applied for an Apprenticeship at Bentley to become a Bentley service technician. Might do a business course on the weekend too but aren't sure yet.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was going do that Uniformed Services at college but then decided not to. Instead, I've applied for an Apprenticeship at Bentley to become a Bentley service technician. Might do a business course on the weekend too but aren't sure yet.
hey jason how long is the apprentaship? Sounds quite good.
BMW service techinician sounds mega. BMW M5 is class.