Colour blindness

LVL98

Reaction score
Quick question, I know I have red green deficiency, and have my Medical in 2 days, I know there are other CB tests after the Dots test ( cant spell the guys name), are the tests such as wires and lantern test conducted on the same day or do you get TMU and have to wait for another appointment??

Bry-hes

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
my colour blind test was can you read what these dots are saying, they where number. I got the lowest score required to pass. I didn't do anything other than that. He told me I struggled with red and blue.

LVL98

Reaction score
I know that depending on people you see different numbers I just hope that I pass so I haven't got to wait ages for PJFT and that because I feel I am ready for PRMC so don't want to delay any more, cheers anyway mate

Coolbeansman

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Literally couldn't do anything bar the first number on the dot test and passed

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
The test is the - ISHIHARA PLATES - the numbers do not change depending on who is looking at them , they are colour linked and give the doctor a guide to what you have issue,s with. If you get more than 2 wrong they should extend the test in the book into the "follow the line" pages this will give them a CP (colour perception) grade for you , some jobs /trades are limited by your CP grade..LC being one as you need to be able to work out navigation lights at night and so on.!!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'm CP4 - didn't even realise it until I joined-up.

Anecdotally, I've heard colour deficiency can actually be a bonus for snipers as camouflaged objects may actually stand out more. Could be nonsense, but I've heard it said many times.

LVL98

Reaction score
The test is the - ISHIHARA PLATES - the numbers do not change depending on who is looking at them , they are colour linked and give the doctor a guide to what you have issue,s with. If you get more than 2 wrong they should extend the test in the book into the "follow the line" pages this will give them a CP (colour perception) grade for you , some jobs /trades are limited by your CP grade..LC being one as you need to be able to work out navigation lights at night and so on.!!
People with Red green deficiency see different numbers to those who have no colour blindness, and people who are totally colour blind don't see anything, by the sounds of things and reading different threads, aslong as I don't see everything in black and white I should pass haha

spaceman1979

Reaction score
Hello; I know the thread is quite old but if anyone could answer my question, I'd be eternally grateful! I've applied to the RAF as an aircraft technician (mechanical) just failed the ishihara test at my optician but been told I don't have severe colour blindness, it's only mild. Can I still get in for my trade with mild colour blindness or is it the end of the road?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hello; I know the thread is quite old but if anyone could answer my question, I'd be eternally grateful! I've applied to the RAF as an aircraft technician (mechanical) just failed the ishihara test at my optician but been told I don't have severe colour blindness, it's only mild. Can I still get in for my trade with mild colour blindness or is it the end of the road?
Welcome to the site, an apt username. This thread only goes back three months and as the forum approaches it's tenth birthday, that's not old by Royal Navy standards :)

Unfortunately we are unable to offer definitive medical guidance for those joining the Naval service, let alone the RAF but hopefully we can give you a pointer.

RAF medicals are conducted by the same contracted company, so there may be generically similar aspects, but treat anything here with caution, your AFCO are the definitive source.... For the Naval Service, we don't contract the optician to conduct the colour perception tests, so even if the optician conducts them, the AFCO Medical Examiner still does the Ishihara test because the optician does not have the colour perception grades in relation to the branch/trade for RN applicants. Maybe they do for RAF. The Ishihara Test is one of several and is usually only used to determine if a person is above or below grade CP2 or below CP4.

Royal Navy Air Engineering Technicians need to be CP2 to work on aircraft, but Marine & Weapons Engineering Technicians no longer work with colour-coded wiring looms (they use number sleeves) so as long as they can differentiate between Red, Yellow, Blue & Green (ie: CP4) they are OK. Whether that applies equally to RAF technicians, we are unable to say unfortunately, but standards are likely to be similar.

Either way, best of luck.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I've applied to the RAF as an aircraft technician (mechanical) just failed the ishihara test at my optician but been told I don't have severe colour blindness, it's only mild.

Firstly, I have no first hand knowledge—and only a vague appreciation—about what this trade actually does. But if you don't meet a crucial medical criterion, don't give up. Consider other trades in which you could thrive. Good luck.

spaceman1979

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys! Been reading up on how wires are distinguished in aircraft and a lot of the online material has mentioned the use of numbers with colours assigned to them is the best way and latest method of wiring, so I'm hoping the Raf is using the same method