Colour Blindness

rmc_86

Reaction score
Hello guys, read some posts on this but no one has given a definative answer.

Does anyone know 100% how much colour blindness will effect the chances of getting selected?

I am planning to start proper training at the start of January, anyone got any tips of when I should start the application process, I am looking to hopefully join mid 2008?

All help appreciated guys thanks!

mrdlewis

Reaction score
i recently had my colour perception tested at the medical board of the navy down in portsmouth. i firstly had to attempt to see the colours within the circles, which i could barely see any of. secondly i did the lantern test, which involves being sat in a pitch black room with a lantern with 2 small light bulbs about 10 metres away. these lights will display either green, white or red, and you have to identify the colours in a sequence. i failed this one too, so was allowed some time in the dark for my eyes to adjust. failed that again. the next stage is a small boost to the brightness of these light bulbs. failed that again!! final test, which if i failed, i was informed i would be in-eligible for service. 3 minutes to link a set of 16 varied coloured wires to their corresponding colour. one mistake is deemed as a fail. i thankfully passed this one and was determined as CP 4, which is recognised by the navy. sorry for the marathon reply, but thought id mention what i went through, because it gives you some hope as it seems they really do want you to pass!

rmc_86

Reaction score
Dont worry about the marathon reply mate this has just given me very good news thanks for the information mate really helps. I'm not too sure how bad mine is the last time I had a test was when I was 11/12 in primary 7. I think they said the colours that I had trouble with was a mix of brown and orange.

Thanks again mate;);)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be honest Mrdlewis has it pretty bang-on. If you want it in technical speak: (CP4 is OK for RM Commandos)

Colour Perception (CP)

1. There are four standards of colour perception graded as follows:
Standard Test Specification

CP 1
The correct recognition of coloured lights shown through the paired apertures on the Holmes-Wright lantern at LOW BRIGHTNESS at 6 metres (20 feet) distance in complete darkness

CP 2
The correct recognition of 13 out of the first 15 plates of the Ishihara Test (24-Plate abridged Edition 1969) shown in random sequence at a distance of 75 cm under standard fluorescent lighting supplied by an artificial daylight fluorescent lamp (British Standard 950: 1967)

CP 3
The correct recognition of coloured lights shown through the paired apertures on the Holmes-Wright lantern at HIGH BRIGHTNESS at 6 metres (20 feet) distance in complete darkness

CP 4
The correct recognition of colours used in relevant trade situations, and assessed by simple tests with coloured wires, resistors,
stationery tabs etc.

Personnel who fail to reach the minimum standard of colour perception are to be graded CP5 - failed trade test and colour
expanses.

Methods of testing colour perception –
Ishihara test

1. Ishihara plates are used as a screening for all entries.

2. Candidates who pass the Ishihara test are graded CP2 and require no further testing except for those whose critical visual task requires a categorisation of CP1.

3.Candidates who fail the Ishihara test are further tested for CP3 or CP4 according to requirement.

Methods of testing colour perception –
Holmes-Wright Lantern

1. The Holmes-Wright Lantern is constructed to simulate, in controlled conditions, the critical visual task of seamen.

2.The test must be carried out at a distance of 6 metres (20 feet) in a completely darkened room. the candidate may wear spectacles if he wishes and may be ‘dark adapted’ if necessary.
The colour pairs may be changed by rotating the colour setting flange at the rear of the lantern, the colour pairs presented being indicated by the code number visible in windows on each side and at the rear of the lantern.

1. Colour perception does not normally change significantly throughout life.

Ishihara test

A test for colour vision deficiency that utilises a series of pseudoisochromatic plates on which numbers or letters are printed in dots of primary colours surrounded by dots of other colours; the figures are discernable by individuals with normal colour vision.

rmc_86

Reaction score
Thanks Ninja, I now know whats required, thanks again ;)

rmc_86

Reaction score
Hello guys, just to add to my first post, when do you think I should start the application process if I am planning to maybe join May/June 2008? (When I say join I mean saying that I have passed everything before that time)

Do I have to speak to AFCO to get started?

Thanks again!!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Submit your completed application forms at your AFCO to start the ball rolling, sooner rather than later.

Good luck