Combat

SarriesFan

Reaction score
I'm not looking for advice or anything (which I seem to ask for a lot of the time and to those who reply, thank you) but to spark a debate. I was speaking to a couple of lads from college, one of whom wants to join the infantry and we were both asked by the third lad that wants to be social worker "well aren't you afraid of being blown up or shot?" Now, the other lad said no, which I find quite naive because I for one, am and he responded by saying if that's the case I shouldn't join. I will say this now that my conviction to joining hasn't wavered but I was just wonder what those of you who have been in combat think of this particular conversation. As a side note, I was reading a book by a former armed police officer who stated that bravery is to be able to head towards danger despite being afraid and wonder what you guys think of this quote.

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I get asked the same thing whenever someone asks me what I’m going to do with my life.. in fact a teacher asked me at college once why i’d want to, because of the risk of being killed etc.
I said “well I’m not looking forward to THAT bit.. I’d be mad if I was. It’s more the travelling aspect and other opportunities that come with it that attracts me”
Or something to that effect anyway.

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you have to be prepared to run that risk for the lifestyle and all the other benefits but really, even if you don’t feel it while safe on civvie street, I reckon everyone is going to feel some sort of fear in an actual war zone.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I was speaking to a couple of lads from college, one of whom wants to join the infantry and we were both asked by the third lad that wants to be social worker "well aren't you afraid of being blown up or shot?"

I'd be tempted to ask the aspiring social worker if he was worried about working in an increasingly under-resourced sector where he is forced to juggle his caseload—to the detriment of service users—and where a catastrophic institutional failure is often pinned onto an individual social worker, trashing that person's professional reputation for ever.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm not looking for advice or anything (which I seem to ask for a lot of the time and to those who reply, thank you) but to spark a debate. I was speaking to a couple of lads from college, one of whom wants to join the infantry and we were both asked by the third lad that wants to be social worker "well aren't you afraid of being blown up or shot?" Now, the other lad said no, which I find quite naive because I for one, am and he responded by saying if that's the case I shouldn't join. I will say this now that my conviction to joining hasn't wavered but I was just wonder what those of you who have been in combat think of this particular conversation. As a side note, I was reading a book by a former armed police officer who stated that bravery is to be able to head towards danger despite being afraid and wonder what you guys think of this quote.

“Courage isn’t the absence of fear, but the judgement that something is else is more important that your fear.”

Fear isn’t always a bad thing, but you have to control it. If you don’t feel fear during combat your either lying or a sociopath. Everyone feels a degree of fear, it’s about controlling it. The will to survive, the drive to stay alive is a basic human instinct. It’s a powerful tool in the right situation.

To both of them, I would say one has a lack of perspective and the other is a naive.

To the lad who wants to be a social worker, and that’s a fair one if that’s what he wants to do, but he doesn’t get in his car every day, or walking to college, scared of being in an RTC or a bus knocking them down or a whole selection of different things that could happen.
It’s the perspective and the fact that the risk is highlighted and isn’t a normal occurrence.

To the other lad bragging, in his youth and not knowing any better, proclaiming to have no fear will not do him any good. And I can bet a months wages that the first round that flies past or mortar that lands nearby he will feel a degree of fear.

It’s all about perspective. Even in other services, police getting a call In the early hours, paramedics attending an RTC, firefighters searching a fire, mountain rescue on a Hill in howling conditions, the list goes on. In civvie life, you are statistically more likely to be killed on British Roads. 176,500 people died on British roads in 2017. But people think nothing of jumping in a car.

Its your mindset and your training that enables you to just crack on.

Chelonian

Reaction score
In civvie life, you are statistically more likely to be killed on British Roads.

Yep, and as pedestrians crossing busy roads we routinely make judgements timed to the split second which—if we get the judgment wrong—will result in fatal consequences. As a species our understanding and assessment of risk is very fickle. :confused:

SarriesFan

Reaction score
“Courage isn’t the absence of fear, but the judgement that something is else is more important that your fear.”
I really like the way you put that and I did mention the point about all the risks such as RTC's in civvy street but, I think he was just trying to look tough in front of others.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...but, I think he was just trying to look tough in front of others.

Unsurprisingly there is a big difference between 'acting tough', which is frequently an unsubstantial illusion, and 'being tough' which paradoxically often demands considerable unselfishness and sacrifice.

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
176,500 people died on British roads in 2017

That's more than five times the amount that died in the blitz!

I've just gone and checked the figures and that was the number of people injured on roads in 2017, the number of deaths is around 1500. Your point still stands though, always amazes me how nonchalant people are about getting into those deathtraps day after day.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
That's more than five times the amount that died in the blitz!

I've just gone and checked the figures and that was the number of people injured on roads in 2017, the number of deaths is around 1500. Your point still stands though, always amazes me how nonchalant people are about getting into those deathtraps day after day.

Jesus, you’re quite right, I was a little distracted by trying to ram a pain au chocolat and a coffee in my grid.