Commando 21?

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
Hi there guys can anybody help me with this? My ACLO told me on the phone recently that this is currently a hot topic of debate and to gen up on it. Information seems really sparse though, I understand the basic concept is restructuring the companies within a commando to make them more effective in their current roles. If anyones got more details (preferably up to date) it would be gratefully received. cheers

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
Yeah i saw that, there is some other articles as well that are pretty old and they all seem to describe it as a change to having 2 rifle companies, 2 support companies (1 tracked, 1 wheeled), a command company and a logistics company, where the support companies operate as a fire support group using JAVELIN and other funky bits of kit etc.
My ACLO was suggesting however that the aim was to integrate fire support within the rifle companies doing away with support companies and allowing for 4 close combat companies able to operate independently which would be useful in the small scale kinetic warfare we're currently engaged in. So my question i guess is, is my ACLO correct in contradicting the articles or is he leading me up the garden path?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i believe this stems from a requirement from whitehall that UK has usable 'groups' (not what they'd be referred to as) allowing them to deploy in three different arenas simultaneously- so we end up with the bulk of the army, 16 air assault and 3 cdo (now incorperating 1 rifles giving that '4th commando unit') although 1 rifles wont be fully amphib trained and cdo trained until 2010, there is a post somewhere that links to an MOD article on 1 rifles joining 3cdo. not sure about how log and support is being divvied up though beyond what's detailed above.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be honest, if there is no current information readily available regarding Commando21, then it maybe worth going back to your ACLO & asking where the information maybe obtained from as you cannot find any recent reference to it.

My understanding is that it fizzled out/went "off the boil" a while back after it was implemented, but as always, I'd be delighted if someone can illuminate us all with more recent references. I'll have a look tomorrow regarding its currency.

There's a bit about Commando 21 being implemented a few years back on the official RM site.

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
Cheers guys, if you do find anything with regards where we stand currently with it ninja that would be great.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
*text deleted* been searching around and also asked at the RM musuem.

Commando 21 is a generic term for the *text deleted**text deleted* of policy and support of 3 Commando Brigade.

I.e. Commando 21st Century....

....Bringing along 1 rifles, and taking on new and ever lasting roles.

Dont know how accurate it is.....but from what i can gather thats the call.