Commando Life

Lakevu

Reaction score
Whats the average day look like for those of you commandos?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Very broad question. What kind of things are you wanting to know? No such such thing as an average day as everyday is different. I’m a turbo sproglet only been in a few years so I havnt done any overseas operations but hopefully one of the more experienced lads will be along if you’re wanting to know more about that side of things.

Lakevu

Reaction score
Very broad question. What kind of things are you wanting to know? No such such thing as an average day as everyday is different. I’m a turbo sproglet only been in a few years so I havnt done any overseas operations but hopefully one of the more experienced lads will be along if you’re wanting to know more about that side of things.
What does your schedule look like this week?

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Oversea operations seem thing of the past at the moment

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
yeah not much over seas ops going on but plenty over seas exercises. I’m sure there’s plenty of forum users with experience from Afghan/Iraq and before to answer questions!

Well I’m currently “working from home”. So not a great deal scheduled this week other than phys -banghead-

However usually, if you’re on camp, you go down coy lines in the morning, usually crack phys with the troop then conduct what ever admin for the next move/ex. Could be ranges, could be exercise, could be a number of different things. But usually thinned out by 1700 if your unlucky. Usually some runs ashore mixed in. That’s generally how it works on camp.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Yes although nothing large scale there are still a few lads "away" so there are opportunities guys. Just got to get lucky.

The average day is as Scotty alluded too. Phys in the morning. Usually lectures about the next upcoming training serial. Pre deployment training for any overseas deployments. Or just re teaches, anything from weapons handling to med training, just to keep everything current. And lots of wets

Chelonian

Reaction score
And lots of wets

But no Jeremy Kyle. :(
Arguably he should be awarded a medal in recognition of his support to HM Armed Forces over many years.

Back in the day The Daily Sketch and a well-thumbed copy of Readers' Wives provided the same lift to morale.

LilInac

Reaction score
Sorry to kinda hijack thread op but similar question, do you have free time on the evenings to let’s say go to the gym etc, what’s it like living on the base accommodation ?
Cheers lads

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Sorry to kinda hijack thread op but similar question, do you have free time on the evenings to let’s say go to the gym etc, what’s it like living on the base accommodation ?
Cheers lads
Once you have secured at the end of each day, if you're not on duty then you're free to do whatever you want. Stay on camp, go ashore, gym etc. etc.

How long is the new boy the tea boy? Did it for 2 years in the Fire Service before we had any new recruits come on
Until the next sprog joins the section/troop. You will go from being top of the tree as King's Squad at CTC to the bottom of the pile at a Unit. All you have to do is head down and crack on.

Alan

Rob20

Reaction score
How long is the new boy the tea boy? Did it for 2 years in the Fire Service before we had any new recruits come on

My troop weren't really into all that. Yer you might make wets for the HQ in the office from time to time but I certainly wasn't sprogged off and neither were lads who joined after me.

Think its all abit exaggerated to be honest mate. So wouldn't worry too much if you're a decent lad

Rob20

Reaction score
what about the ones I’ve seen online to Norway, California, Australia etc?

To any potential joiners, rest assured there is plenty of opportunity for overseas deployment! Norway is a yearly thing im pretty sure, america and jungle are quite regular and chances are if you're on ship you'll stop off at numerous locations. Thats without your annual mountain training package too

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
I meant actual operations not exercise
The Corps has only been on exercise on the locations you mentioned. There are no current large scale ops around at the moment.

Try and get a copy of the Globe and Laurel magazine. It will give you all the info you need.

Alan