Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Commando Tests

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Stroll147, May 21, 2020.

1. Stroll147

Stroll147 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello,

Does anyone who has passed know which are considered the harder (I'm aware they're all hard) commando tests and if many tend to fail (OR and YO), or anything else you have to say on them?

Any info greatly appreciated, Thanks!

2. sharpe

sharpe Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    With all due respect that’s like asking if I stepped in the ring with Anthony Joshua which punch would hurt most:) they’re all going to be bloody hard, that’s why you spend 32 weeks preparing for them;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Stroll147

Stroll147 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Very valid example:D Do recruits have a general consensus to one? (Although they're obviously all very very hard)

4. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

It differs for everbody ,9 miler some guys just dont like speed marching..but generally this might be considered the least disliked one.

Tarzan Assult was hard for me because it,s flat out lung buster and I am short, and that slows you down on this event.

Endurance - for the exact reason of it,s name it an endurance event, and this one is a mind game as you have to push yourself along on the way back.

30 miler , I actually found the easiest but still hard (but that was to do with my background...lots of hill walking..and i mean lots) but for many, this is maybe the hardest as it,s pure slog in the latter stages...you feet and shoulder will be killing, your hands could well be the size of balloons and you have trouble holding a pasty at the break stop let alone eating it & weather can play it,s part in this event more than any other.!!

But to be honest it depends on your own physical attributes and mindset on which one you will leat or most like there is no definitive answer to your question.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Stroll147

Stroll147 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks alot!!

6. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

They all suck. I found endurance the best and Tarzan the worst.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

9 miler, or any speed march for that matter due to me having short legs and struggling to keep the pace! The rest were hard, but achievable.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  8. Former AE

Former AE Royal Marines Commando

30 miler due to weather conditions, fog and snow were not good for my syndicate all those years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

I found endurance course the hardest and 9 mile speed march easiest

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

I enjoyed endurance course. Once your on the lanes its quite easy. People only really fail the shoot.

9 milers just a griz but not particularly hard.

Tarzan should be illegal! Its disgusting. The only one I was really nervous for. One mistake and you'll probably fail. But I think most get PBs on test day due to adrenaline. I went from 12:40 to 11:11. But hated every second of it! By far the worse.

30 miler. Apart from swolen hands. Loved it. Ran marathons before so preferred longer events. Every checkpoint you're one step closer. Being with the lads at the end was amazing too. Better than kings squad for me

• Like Like x 8
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  11. Rover

Rover Moderator

I think I must have been a masochist!! o_O:(:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  12. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

As you can see it's all down to personal preference!

I found the endurance course hard. I got a fairly decent time around 62 minutes so I could have easily stepped off the gas a bit but thats not really an option as a recruit. As soon as a PTI shouts 'GO!' something primative clicks in your mind and you go balls to the wall to the finish line, I remember being a dribbling, chundering mess.

9 miler and tarzan I found easy.

30 miler was a bit of a hangout but absolutely nothing will stop you at that stage, lads gen do it with broken or fractured legs/feet sometimes.

Lads gen shouldn't worry about the Commando tests, they're duty attend at that point of training!

The thing which makes training so hard is the field exercises. You can love the outdoors, love soldiering and love the field as much as you want, I guarantee you'll still have some dark times on sennybridge and dartmoor.

• Like Like x 8
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Completely agree with @Advocado. Tests are nowhere near the hardest part of training

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

What causes this?:eek:

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

My perception is the Commando Tests must be put into context.

In isolation they may well be achievable, before or at the start of Recruit Training but the 34+ weeks hammering leading-up to them not only prepares the individual mentally but it's also worth bearing in mind the body is 'running on empty' at the point they are taken and Recruits usually start losing weight at the Commando Phase of training as they start burning muscle mass as fat reserves are pretty limited on our lean, mean young thrusters. The "difficulty" is further compounded due to the limited recovery periods between elements and the inevitable bumps, scrapes & strains that are picked-up on the preceding test and further stressed on the next.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Royal2010

Royal2010 Commando Training Wing Instructor

They are all different tests and all hurt in different ways. The 30 miler is long, the Tarzan is short but technically a 12-minute sprint. Most of my nods in the last troop said it was the Endurance they disliked the most.

• Like Like x 3
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  17. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

@Harry McRunFast ..:D..Just system drainage Harry, because of your kit and Rifle you arms remain "fairly" static during the yomp , while cardiovascular wise you are going ten to then dozen, so swelling can occur for some guys, normally in your extremities - hands and feet - not a real issue and it reduce quickly, but some guys look like they have Homer Simpson hands and one of the checkpoints where you get a pastie..and it can be quite amusing to watch and some of the guys are dribbling snot monsters at this stage as well.!! so teamwork comes in , you might be hanging out but the other guys may need help with kit clothing & eating but the staff will help at this point as well as you may only have 1-2 mins before you set off again,but they just shrug it off.!

• Like Like x 7
  18. Stroll147

Stroll147 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It appears they all suck for a manner of different reasons, Thanks everyone for the replies!

19. Wings

Wings Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Whats the route like for speed march flat or hilled?

20. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

I don't want to ruin it for perspective recruits but the 6 mile speed march is harder than the 9 miler....I'll leave it there ;)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Like Like x 2