Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Commando Tests

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Stroll147, May 21, 2020.

1. Bootra

Bootra Royal Marines Commando

I found the tests got harder as the week went on. 30 miler was a killer for me! My stumpy legs and a knackered ankle found the last 10 miles a bit of a nightmare. It’s just a case of grizzing it out at that point though.
    As has been said though, a lot of people could pass the tests with training and being fresh every day. But after 8 months of constantly 'extra phys' your body and a 10 day Final Ex straight into the tests it’s a wee bit harder!

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I've mentioned on the forum before, at some point in the late 70s, early 80s the 30 miler was done away with and replaced with an extremely hard Final Ex spread over 8-10 days, encompassing lots of long, hard and fast yomping.

After a few years, again I've no idea why, they brought back the 30 miler and, you've guessed it, kept the big Final Ex. In recent years, this ex was at around weeks 26 to 27, followed by the field firing package, but to make things that little bit harder they moved it to where it is now to be followed immediately by the commando tests.

As others have said, the tests themselves are not that hard, but after 8 months of training your body is in bits. However, it just goes to show how much your mental attitude is in overcoming the pain.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
  3. Wings

Wings Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Like the 9 miler in catterick over 10. Hardest tab ive done so far

• Like Like x 1
  4. Collieryboy

Collieryboy Well-Known Member

@Wings there seems to be more of a consensus that the hardest event of P Company is the log race, if I'm not mistaken?

5. Wings

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Depends I kind of zoned out of it. In a way I was laughing a little in my head as blokes were just passing out and you were literally jumping over them. I mean my log started with 7 finished with 3 so that wasnt great. For me it was the steeplechase I was never that great at it. P company is one of the best weeks in training you are allowed to sit on your bed!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Geespt

Geespt Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    For me i found the Tarzan was my least favourite, it’s just a flat out red lining 12 minutes! -vomit-

I enjoyed the 9 mile speed march as i found that was the one with the highest morale as it’s the only one you’re actually together as a troop effort, the endurance course is individual effort and 30 miler is in sections.

The endurance i found good and the 30 miler is pretty enjoyable, for me i got to the 28 mile point and then started to get sore feet but you know you’re so close by that point!

It’s that feeling you have on the bus journey back with your troop at the end of the 30 miler!

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

100%

I was in the first syndicate. It was relief when we finished but we were rushing to ditch our kit and put a fresh shirt on ready to clap the rest of the lads in to really feel any elation yet.

But seeing the second syndicate, some of your best mates finish, was an unbelievable moment. Felt so proud of them despite having just done it myself. I remember turning round as they ran past to find some hard as nails lads from my syndicate behind me with tears in their eyes. A moment I'll never forget that!

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bootra

This is actually a great point by @Caversham above. Obviously we see the tests as what makes us Commandos. But I’ve got mates who received honoury Green Lids who are every inch a Bootneck. For whatever reason they couldn’t finish the tests, but had proved themselves up to that point.
    I always tell my nods that Final Ex is just as important, if not more so than the tests. I need the person next to me to have the required skills to do the job when it counts. The tests prove your physical and mental fitness, but Final Ex proves you can soldier

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020
  9. Wings

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Moments like these are the differance between the upper tier units and the lower. Not saying theres no moments like this in line infantry. But the sheer difficulty and it getting to the end is such a huge self pride moment.

Marine in my depot said tarzan was the worst.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Wings

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Never heard of honoury green lids is that given for those who constantly get injured on the tests?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bootra

@Wings Not heard of any in a long time (may be totally wrong on that)
    but occasionally they were given to lads who had done well in training and got injured near the end. Some even managed to pass some of the tests. They generally went to branches such as Clerks, however this didn’t mean they stayed there for their whole career. There were definitely some who managed to cross deck to GD after return of service and rehab.

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I understand that honorary green berets have been awarded in recent years to the families of Recruits who have died during Recruit Training. A very sobering thought.

At least one honorary green beret was also awarded to a Recruit who suffered severe, life changing injuries during RT.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Caversham

Plus the likes of Bear Grylls, Jimmy Saville, Prince Andrew and Prince Charles. -banghead-

I haven't heard of an honorary beret being awarded to trained ranks. Before the current system came in, anyone failing a test would be kept at CTC until they passed the test. This happened to a guy in my Troop who failed the 30 miler. He eventually passed, but didn't have a King's Squad passout, just went straight to a unit with his new lid.

Years ago, there were special entry Marines, who joined to become either a clerk or a chef. They completed all of the RT programme, including the tests, and then after pass out went off to do their SQ training. I know one guy, who joined as a special entry chef, later went onto pass selection for SF.

Alan

14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Does Prince Charles have one too? I lose track. :(

Prince Andrew did a Basic Para Course in 1978 while still studying at university before even starting at BRNC. Needless to say he did not first have to pass P-Coy. He just rocked up and attended an All Arms BPC because his older brother had enjoyed a 'similar' course. -banghead-

15. Former AE

Former AE Royal Marines Commando

Please don't go down the Honorary CGB route, it opened a big can of worms when I dug down a bit to far.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Former AE

Charles does't but his old man has.

17. Caversham

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nce-Charles-paces-training-Royal-Marines.html

Note the loose order. The same with Andrew in 1979, just pitched up at CTC, done a test and came back every few weeks or so, then given the lid.

The only one who doesn't wear a CGB is Prince Edward. He started training as a YO, but resigned his commission before passing out.

Alan

18. Former AE

Alan, Charles never got a CGB, he just wanted to do a bit of training, my old friend Peter Ward, the Captain in the photo, said he would not accept one without completing the whole course, as can be seen in the later visit when he flew in by Wessex, blue beret in hand.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Caversham

Thanks for the clarification. It's a pity the Prince of Pork didn't have the same attitude!

Alan

20. Former AE

Gen dit about the water tunnel in the picture, it was originally made of 2 x 45 gallon oil drums pushed together, over the years it corroded and with the amount of people standing on it collapsed a bit so more soil was chucked on top then it moved again. It wasn’t until a PTI went through it was found to be about 8 to 10” narrower, it was then replaced by AE wing, the one now was built to include a pool as water levels kept dropping and an emergency sluice added in case anyone got stuck.