commando to officer

Sledge

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently in year 10 of my secondary school education,however i want to join the royal marines at 17 (when i officially leave school),but want to become an officer as soon as possible without having to wait another 2 years to complete my A-levels. Is there a loop in the system such as being a commando for 2 years and studying my A-levels on base and then retraining to become an officer or is there any other path.
Again my aim is to take the best path to becoming an officer as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,

-Sledge

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
The best path to becoming an RM officer is to apply to join as one. The Corps does accept ORs to each batch, but the competition is fierce and just a few each year are accepted.

If you are willing to join as soon as possible and then study for A levels, then your best bet is to stay at school and achieve your qualifications there.

One point to remember is that most applicants have degrees and in fact a lot of those undertaking RT also have degrees, but have chosen to go as ORs. The competition for places on each YO batch is fierce and the Corps, quite rightly, only accept the best candidates.

Good luck

Alan

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The quickest path to becoming an officer in the Royal Marines is to join up as an officer the criteria for this is a minimum of 180 UCAS points at A level.

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t think there is, I believe you can get a commission as an other rank to train to be an officer but the chances of this happening are extremely low, maybe one or two will get it a year if they’re lucky. Any particular reason why you definitely want to be an officer and not even considering other rank? Speaking to the staff on my RMAD mentioned that it’s more of an admin type role as oppose to being in the thick of it.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently in year 10 of my secondary school education,however i want to join the royal marines at 17 (when i officially leave school),but want to become an officer as soon as possible without having to wait another 2 years to complete my A-levels. Is there a loop in the system such as being a commando for 2 years and studying my A-levels on base and then retraining to become an officer or is there any other path.
Again my aim is to take the best path to becoming an officer as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,

-Sledge

You have to ask yourself why you aren’t prepared to sit A levels or University?

As an officer it’s a management role and involves a lot more writing reports, interview boards, skills honed from researching and writing essays. A lot of the Officer candidates will have degrees and or studied Fulltime education for a few years.

You will sit an interview and the first question will be “why didn’t you study A levels/Degree” you’re answer can not be “I can’t be bothered”. You will not pass if that’s your attitude.

It’s a factor of the job you have to get on with.

You can go for a Corps Commission. But only after a certain age and term of service, or above a SNCO rank. But it doesn’t qualify you for a Troop Commander role. You will be admin, logistics or support. It’s a very demanding, popular and sought after post. Not to be depended on.

Or get your A levels/Degree and join as an Officer and be a Troop boss.

Rover

Reaction score
At a slight tangent and a ‘one off’.

At one time there was a lack of suitable Royal Marine Officers for the SBS. High initial failure rate on selection leading a few getting a ‘provisional pass’, and then not lasting very long before they departed.o_O

Then a ‘light bulb moment’ from the higher echelons.

Why spend time trying to train an unsuitable officer to be SC qualified when you have fully qualified SC rates actually qualified to be Officers?:cool:

At that time should any SC rate go for a commission he had to leave the SBS and tended to become the MTO or the Impress Holder (Pay Officer).:(

Situation changed and any SC rate going for a commission stayed within the SBS. A number did. Not unknown for the odd Lt Col to have been a SNCO SC1.:)

As I said a ’one off’.

Now a bigger pool to select from.:cool:

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
Rough timelines for both methods:

Route 1, OR > DE
- Apply to join & get a start date ~12mths
- Pass RT on first attempt ~9mths (Inc. leave)
- Get to the substantive rank of Cpl ~6-10yrs
- Pass AIB on first attempt and get a start date on the batch ~12mths.
- Pass Officer training ~13mths

Total time: 10.5-14yrs (If everything passed first time).

Route 2, HE > DE
- A-Levels ~2yrs
- Degree ~3yrs
- Apply to join, pass AIB and gain start date ~12-18mths (Whilst at university!!)
- Pass Officer training ~13mths

Total time: 6.5yrs.

Route 1 requires: Passing RT, Getting selected for Corporal, Passing JCC, Passing AIB and getting selected for DE Officer, then re-doing the entire training syllabus from Day 1 and passing first time. None of which are a given.

Route 2 requires: A-Levels, Degree (any subject), AIB, Officer Training.

You choose.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
At a slight tangent and a ‘one off’.

At one time there was a lack of suitable Royal Marine Officers for the SBS. High initial failure rate on selection leading a few getting a ‘provisional pass’, and then not lasting very long before they departed.o_O

Then a ‘light bulb moment’ from the higher echelons.

Why spend time trying to train an unsuitable officer to be SC qualified when you have fully qualified SC rates actually qualified to be Officers?:cool:

At that time should any SC rate go for a commission he had to leave the SBS and tended to become the MTO or the Impress Holder (Pay Officer).:(

Situation changed and any SC rate going for a commission stayed within the SBS. A number did. Not unknown for the odd Lt Col to have been a SNCO SC1.:)

As I said a ’one off’.

Now a bigger pool to select from.:cool:
Similar thing happened to the SNCO pilots when Brigade Air Squadron was brought under the wing of the FAA whose pilots are all commissioned officers. They simply gave all the SNCOs a commission. Problem solved!

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score

My bold. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that seeking shortcuts in the recruitment system—be it for Officer or Other Rank entry—may not be a good place to start. :)

Some very sound advice above from people who know.
Consider rigorously researching the roles of Other Rank and Officer. This forum alone contains a wealth of information.

If you make an informed decision that Officer entry is what you want, then go for it in the straightforward, conventional manner.

Your age stated in your profile is fifteen. The world is your lobster, mate. If you've previously thought that academics aren't for you, think again now that you have a specific goal in sight.

Even the age of seventeen is young for Officer entry although some do it. If you want it—and you'll really need to want it—start planning how to achieve it. Best of luck.

Latest posts

New Threads