Commando Unit Accommodation/Rotations

WeAreThePolis

Reaction score
I was wondering how accommodation/rotations would work in the Royal Marines. If, for example I joined 42 commando, would that mean that I'd be permanently living in Bickleigh Barracks? Or would I be able to live in, for example Scotland?

Also how do rotations work? Would I be living at home for, for example 6 months, then live at a commando unit for 6 months?

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
You could live on the moon if you'd like. As long as you are where you need to be, when you need to be, there are no restrictions on where you live. I caveat that by saying if you are based at 42 Cdo, you will NOT get any military accomodation at 45 Cdo.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Its definitely not a 6 month on 6 month off job either. If you are based at 42 Cdo you'll live on bickleigh barracks, or close enough to commute. You'll work monday-friday every week and some weekends when you are in the UK with the exception of 3 weeks summer leave, 2 weeks christmas leave and 2 weeks easter leave.

Obviously when you deploy overseas on operations/exercises this work pattern will drastically change.