commando units.

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by JRodwayyy, Jun 9, 2015.

1. whatwillbewillbe!

whatwillbewillbe! New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I know this post is pretty old... Does all this get explained to you during rt? Or should I research and know where I want to go, before I join?

2. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

It's simple mate, towards the end of training you will be asked your draft preferences,which you then list, someone much higher up the ladder than you will decide where your going for the first year or two, I dont think anyone has come up with any logical reasoning behind how billets are allocated it seems to be a bit random,in so much as Lads from the SE have for geographical reasons put down 42 or 40 and been sent "North of the wall" and lads from Scotland who put down 45/43 go the other way, all this within the same troop.
    Do a LOT of research on anything and everything RM before you rock up at CTC, remember "Knowledge is Power".

• Like Like x 2
  3. whatwillbewillbe!

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Cheers mate, I've researched RM more than I researched anything at school haha. I know this might contradict what I just said but, is there much of a difference between them all? Or isit just location? Also, is there any specific unit that most people are attracted too? If so, why?
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Hopefully you are aware of the 3 year cycle ie Lead Commando-Standing Tasks-Force generating,the 3 "fighting Unit" 40/42/45 do pretty much the same as per their Unit status in the above cycle, so I suppose the short answer to your question is Yes,
    43 however are different they and I stand to be corrected here, they do I think its a 7 wk cycle of 2wks behind the wire (*text deleted*),3 wks training,2 wks leave
    I think many lads choose location but for me it's best to choose by what stage of the cycle a particular unit is on and choose accordingly,by that I mean for example if I was to pass out tomorrow aside from all of a sudden believing in God,then I would be wanting to go to 40 or 45 as come May they will be the "busier" units due to the cycle.
    I may not of explained it very well as I'm trying to do 3 things at once but I'm certain there are loads of guys on here who can answer much better,anyhows good luck and I hope that helps.

• Like Like x 3
  5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

At the minute 40 Cmdo is the more popular choice due to them going into lead Commando.

• Like Like x 1
  6. whatwillbewillbe!

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Mr D you explained it quite well in my opinion haha, I understood what you were getting at. And thank you, probably the easiest I've understood it, should become a careers advisor haha.
    So depending on if I want more training in different fields or if I want to go and have fun ;) is how I should choose.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Well...maybe not quite the way I would express it to "the powers that be"but you got the jist,again good luck with the app and keep researching things may seem foggy at times but this forum is an absolute gold mine of information,you can bet that anything you need an answer to will get answered on here though I would say dont just ask,try get into the habit of being pro-active and searching all resources at your disposal,hopefully get your answer then confirm on here if that makes sense,it becomes an exercise in data processing and once in the habit will make you just a little more independent of other people, a skill you can then carry forward in your career.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

no edit button .sorry about the punctuation,or lack of it. Should read............keep researching, things may seem foggy.......

• Like Like x 1
  9. whatwillbewillbe!

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Will do mate, have been researching but this topic I found quite hard to grasp... (don't mean to sound stupid *text deleted*) I love this site, without it wouldn't have passed my interview I don't think. My first post was pretty much was for clarification though. Thanks for the help and reply though mate, appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jm93

Jm93 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    When I started my application for the Royal Marines, unit preference wasn't an issue at all(I'm from Scotland) so 45 Would be pretty sweet however it's wasn't a big deal. Fast forward a few months and me and my Mrs had a baby and I'm just waiting on dates for fitness tests... I don't plan on starting RT for another 12 months roughly..
    I don't expect any preference for unit choice because I'll have a child however assuming I don't get 45 which will be my first choice, would it be possible to pop in a request for a transfer to 45 and if so how realistic are my chances of getting this? If I didn't get it I would just crack on and make my way home at weekends to spend time with family. Anyone who has a bit of inside knowledge I'd appreciate the info, someone told me before a lot of guys want out of 45 purely for geographical reasons so I assumed as long as enough guys are requesting out a request in wouldn't be to tough...

11. robbo09

robbo09 Member

I can see where you're coming from mate. To be honest if you didn't get 45 Cdo then 43 would possibly be better for you, whereas 40 and 42 are going to be one hell of a journey to get there and back in just a weekend. They'll put you where you're needed at the end of the day, like it or not. Would she not move with you into married quarters etc?

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. whatwillbewillbe!

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Isit easy to get into married quarters? And do u actually have to be married? I'm a step dad to two kids, would they and my misses be able to move into married quarters?

13. robbo09

robbo09 Member

@Ninja_Stoker or a serving Royal may be better to answer that. I've a few pongo mates who have step kids and are in family accommodation, I think they're married though so not sure where you'd stand. Where there's a will there's a way though and don't lose sight of the end goal.

• Like Like x 1
  14. whatwillbewillbe!

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Cheers mate appreciate it, will never loose sight of becoming a RM.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Eligibility for SFA:

To be entitled to apply for SFA, service personnel must:
    • be aged 18 and over and a Trained Rank
    • be married or have permanent legal custody of children
    • have at least 6 months to serve
    Full details of eligibility criteria is in JSP 464

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Mine also vanished months ago mate.

17. Jm93

Jm93 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the reply mate! Unfortunately no.. after having our baby we have bought a house and she has her own career here however she is very supportive! I'm still going to go ahead with my app and try my best and if I do get drafted down south just apply for a transfer, however, if I don't get one I'll just crack on and make the best of the situation. Would maybe mean what I wanted to do as 12 year career becomes a 6 but who knows!

18. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Not official, but the general consensus is yhay if you put down 43 as first preference you will get it,maybe if you want a fighting unit,then put 45 first and 43 second, just a thought.