commandos

kirbymorgan17

Reaction score
this is my first post,would anyone be able to let me know the difference between Royal Marine Commandos and 29 Commandos Royal Artillery.i realize that both are different arms of the British forces.in particular do both respective commandos train,get tested and complete the same courses either together or are both kept apart.do they deploy together.and finally,is there a mutual respect for one and other with healthy banter.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
29 commando complete the All Arms Commando course at CTC as they already went through their basic training and phase 2 at their ATC and Larkhill

Royal Marines complete their phase 1 and 2 at CTC with the commando course at the end.

Both complete the same commando tests at the same standard required.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As for deploying together, fighting commando units and 29 cdo are part of 3 Commando Brigade. So it is very common for them to work together

And of course there’s banter. Banter is everywhere in the forces. A lot of them act like they hate eachother but In reality they’re all on the same side and all have huge respect for eachother

kirbymorgan17

Reaction score
thanks for that information 679, it cleared up absolutely my question. if you could help me with another query that would be great,do the Royal Marine Commandos and or 29 Commandos Royal Artillery train at garelochhead.i read in the press that the training facility at garelochhead has had a complete overhaul and the base was first established to train commandos in preparation for war and i wondered if this is still the case today.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...is there a mutual respect for one and other with healthy banter.

All flavours of UK armed srvices thrive on robust banter.

Welcome. I note that your profile indicates your age as 53. Good to see other old fuds on the forum.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
thanks for that information 679, it cleared up absolutely my question. if you could help me with another query that would be great,do the Royal Marine Commandos and or 29 Commandos Royal Artillery train at garelochhead.i read in the press that the training facility at garelochhead has had a complete overhaul and the base was first established to train commandos in preparation for war and i wondered if this is still the case today.

I take it you have been collared by an Army Recruiter who says “the Army has commandos too”.

As stated above, you join the Royal Marines, you become a Royal Marines Commando. You are a Commando before anything else.
You complete the 32 weeks training.

You join the Army, and in theory, yes you can become an “Army Commando”. But you have to join the Army first and get established. You then have to wait for an available slot to apply to go on an All Arms Commando Course(AACC), do 9 weeks and then go onto your Unit.
Now, the AACC is a a very popular course and is over subscribed, so it’s hard to get on. You are also a tradesman first.

In simple terms, join the RM and be a Royal Marines Commando, or join the Army and try and maybe not get a Commando Course, and be a glorified tradesmen....

Garelochhead is just a training facility, utilised by the RM aswell, it’s a triservice training for anyone that books it.
All commando training is done at CTCRM in Lympstone.

The question is, do you want to be a Royal Marine or do you want to be an artilleryman in the Army, and maybe have a shot of the Commando Course.

Unfortunately the army keep manipulating and lying to young lads to fill their own recrtuitment failures.

Don’t get me wrong I have worked with some AACC blokes, and in general a lot of them are alright, with the exception of a few. As long as you are good at your job, no one cares and the usual banter will be dished out.

EDIT: Just saw the post about your age, disregard my stuff about joining up.

Chelonian

Reaction score
@kirbymorgan17
Assuming that you've not yet reached your errm... golden years and that you are considering career options the post above by TPA gives an honest overview.

To make an informed decision one needs to thoroughly research all options. Keep an open mind and dig into the detail. It's a complex subject but this forum is a fine resource. The search box can help but if you have any further questions, ask away. Best of luck.

kirbymorgan17

Reaction score
thank you very much for the replies lads i do not know what i am offended more by being classified as an old fuddy duddy or a new recruit somewhere in the middle most probable whatever the response was superb and great to see that both young and elderly can be assured that when you ask a question it is answered with great authority and knowledge. much appreciated.time to put my pipe down remove my slippers and go to the pub.