Commisions

Cameron1990

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what commissions are available to marine officers, because I know in the army there are several types of commissions, from short, to regular, to permanent commissions, is it the same in the marines?

A

Account Removed

Hi, I was wondering what commissions are available to marine officers, because I know in the army there are several types of commissions, from short, to regular, to permanent commissions, is it the same in the marines?
With regards to the Army, the type of commision only has an impact on how long you are in for. Basically theres a 3 year, 8 year and 22 year commision and you get the 3 year straight out of training, 8 year at the end of the 3 year and 22 year at the end of the 8 years - if you want them. I believe this is the same for the RM :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The Naval service operates Three Tier Commission, the same as Army and RAF Officers.

The Three Tier Commission (3TC) applies to all officers except Medical, Dental, QARNNS, Family Services (FS) and Careers Service (CS) officers. It consists of the following commissions:

a. Initial Commission (IC) on which all officers (except some re-entrants and transferees from other Services) join, whether entering from civilian life or from the lower deck. The length of the IC, subject to retirement age and reserved rights for officers serving on or before 31 Mar 99, is branch dependent, as follows: RN Warfare, RN Engineers, RN Logistics and RN Medical Services - 12 years

RM Officers - 8 years Initial Commission

Chaplains ? 6 years

b. Career Commission (CC). A CC extends a career through to 18 years? service from date of entry or until age 40 if later, the same as Other Rank.

c. Full Term Commission (FTC). This further extends a career to retirement age - 55.