Commitments!

Snell79

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else on here has financial commitments and is taking the plunge and attempting to join up? I've got £790 a month mortgage fixed for the next 4 years, a car, and a baby Daughter.

And if you have any commitments, what are you planning on doing if you pass out? I'm eventually hoping to move the family down to base and make a new life for us.

Ipodbob

Reaction score
I hope it all works out for you then buddy, a new interesting live it would be.

I have no commitments at all thank god, i deliberatly avoided any for the last year because of the marines, no girls either :eek:

DamageInc85

Reaction score
I've got a £500 per month mortgage, hopefully be able to cover this with a tennant while on RT pay. Don't really want to sell up seeing as I worked my ass into the ground to buy the flat in the first place.
Best of luck with the whole process though Snell, your a braver guy than me! I'm sure your family/ financial commitments will spur you on even harder so you smash it first time.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I hope it all works out for you then buddy, a new interesting live it would be.

I have no commitments at all thank god, i deliberatly avoided any for the last year because of the marines, no girls either :eek:

same ere mate, im desperatly avoiding a serious relationship from now until RT. My careers officer said that is the main problem with recruits leaving training - *text deleted* they mis their lasses:cry:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Your monthly outgoings should be less than 50% of you & your partners' combined net income.

Your net income from the Royal Marines upon joining is around £770 per month after all stoppages for the first 6 months.

Generally the call is made by your Careers Adviser & the Defence Vetting Agency(DVA). If you appear to have excessive outgoings for your stated income the DVA will send a Financial Questionnaire for further evaluation. If you have excessive debt in relation to your income, you may be declined security clearance- no clearance means no join unfortunately.

If you are a sole breadwinner and your current outgoings exceed £770 per month then you will have to radically reduce your outgoings. You can be discharged from the service for financial irresponsibility so it's important to get your finances in order before you join.

Snell79

Reaction score
Cheers for advice mate, my missis went back to work today after 6 month maternity leave so money should be ok.

Luke023

Reaction score
im takin a huge pay rise from £13 a week paper round money + money i get from footie refereeing and babysittin. ill feel like bill gates with 770 quid a month in me pocket *text deleted*