Commonwealth Citizens - Apply Now

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

The Royal Navy & Royal Marines are now accepting applications from Commonwealth Citizens resident overseas, aged 18 upwards according to today's news.

Whilst aware this was in the pipeline I suspect this was announced in advance of the process infrastructure being established to deal with the anticipated number of applications. If applying as a Commonwealth Citizen living overseas, please be patient whilst the system catches up as my belief it'll be four weeks before two-way communications are established.

Essentially this now means eligible applicants living overseas of UK can apply and, if found suitable, a residency waiver will be requested.

To check initial eligibility call (UK) +441753 804 921.

My guess is the website may not yet be updated, in which case it will ask for a postcode in order to apply, so use London AFCO postcode:
    WC1N 1NP

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    But there’s no recruitment crisis.... honest....

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Generally we apply for a waiver of the 5 year residency requirement every year - sometimes we get it, sometimes we don't but this year is a big one with about 4 times the number of applicants permitted.

I reckon we have to process about 8 times the number of initial applications for every one entering the RN, my guess is it's probably double that for RM applications.

4. Ninja_Stoker

5. sy_lume

sy_lume Royal Marines Commando

Retention is even worse..

6. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Maybe this is where the focus should be?

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Agreed.

All manner of ways to keep guys in, but the MOD just keeps up the same BS policies and giving a lot of guys a rough deal.

I read on another site that a Marine, just out of the box in July has just been drafted to CTC as a GD Driver. Not exactly the start that he would have been wishing for and considering that a lot of drivers at the camp are civvys isn't going to lead to many block buster runs ashore. The betting in MT is that his chit will be in at the first opportunity.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  8. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Something I always get puzzled by is the way that lads get pinged and then subsequently leave. I wouldn’t have thought the general RM applicant would aspire to be a driver, storeman or clerk? Not that there is anything at all wrong with these roles. They are valued and important.

Why go through all that cost and hardship to smash a lads idea of what his role will be.

Surely it would be far better and more cost effective to specify some of these roles as a non Commando role? And train up these roles from the off? All roles complete phase 1 training package. Then Drives for example head off to leconsfield for their trade training? Bang you have a Royal Marine driver who actually joined up from the off as a driver.

I think aspirations are a little better handled this way in the Army. Signallers join as signallers, Clerks join the AGC Corps, Drivers join the RLC. And infanteers join the Infantry.

I know of one exceptional lad who went through training and passed out, impressed at a unit and got himself onto a snipes cardre and failed. He then got pinged to CTC as a driver. Obviously he was devastated, and chitted it! What a waste!

9. Caversham

They actually used to do that for Clerks and Chefs and it lead to a fair bit of upset focussed upon the Careers Service! I knew of one guy who was recruited as a special entry chef and excelled in training. He asked to transfer to GD, with the support of the TT on completion of RT, but was refused. He went onto become a chef, completed a RTS and then went for selection, which he passed!

I do believe that there is scope for a Blue Beret Corps, as well as Green Beret, just like there used to be.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  10. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

It’s an interesting debate. I’m fully aware of the wider Corps being very protective of the entire Corps being Commando trained. And I fully respect that. I suppose it entails a high standard across the board, which is more than can be said for the sorry state of affairs in the Army currently. I just struggle with the idea of really keen lads being forced into a role they are not interested in doing. The flip side of this I guess, is that it’s only short term? After their ROS they can transfer trades. Just a case of being patient?

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  11. sy_lume

MT is a rough branch, I know blokes at CLR driving fuel tankers on 21k a year, starting salary for a civvy doing the same job is 38k..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Caversham

That's one of the reasons that I think that Drives is not that bad an SQ to get pinged for. You'll never be out of work in civvy street if you get a full raft of licences on your CV and with the example you just shown you can understand why guys put their chit in. Plus you never have to lump a heavy bergen around anymore!

Alan

13. sy_lume

Exactly! Retention is massive at the moment, the MoD forget it costs much less to retain someone than it does to put a royal through training..

• Like Like x 1
  14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Although the corps preaches the whole commando trained stuff, there’s still a huge massive political aim with the Navy clinging on especially attaching (female) Medics.

The scope for RM medics is quite limited and a lot of medical support is from the Navy.
    If Navy support is accepted, why not give them the Chef/clerk role and open up the Medic role more to the RM.

We don’t need a blue beret corps, just utilise the Navy for its support role.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Welcome.

1) Commonwealth Citizens wishing to join as a RM Officer must also have a British Passport, otherwise I'm afraid it's a no-go. The reason, I believe is to do with the UK/US nuclear protocol.

2) As long as you undertake an approved type of surgery & are over age 22 and can produce documented evidence with pre-operative prescriptions and a series of post operative results showing full stability, you should be OK as long as your pre-operative prescription is within acceptable parameters.

16. Ninja_Stoker