Commonwealth Citizens - Apply Now

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The secret is simply preparation. Most aplicants for the Royal Marines are initially simply not physically fit enough...by a long, long way. It is surprising how many applicants cannot swim a couple of hundred metres or run at a pace of 7 minutes per mile over three to five miles.

2. Dej

Dej New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I know am mentally and physically fit enough for the RM cause it's always been my dream to be in the RM.The only problem is that I don't have enough funds to travel to UK...and I suppose there's a stage that'll require me to travel to UK..right??

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, unfortunately all travel costs to/from the UK are at the individual's expense. Previously, most applicants establish email communications with their processing Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO) well in advance of flying to UK. In doing so, the AFCO can then get the medical questionnaire sent, completed and returned to enable a medical triage phonecall to hopefully filter out those medically ineligible to save their journey.

Applicants must come to UK to conduct the Recruit Test and sadly, as many as 50% fail the test through lack of preparation. The test is almost exactly the same as the practice version: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/joining/get-ready-to-join/practise-for-rt-test/reasoning

After the recruit test, the interview can be taken the same week if booked well in advance. Likewise the pre-joining fitness test (PJFT). If the medical can be booked in advance of your arrival in UK and you bring copies of your medical records (translated into English if necessary), there's a better than average chance of getting a PRMC the following week.

Many overseas applicants return to home after passing PRMC because it can take a couple of months to gain the residency waiver and security clearance before the entry date is allocated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dej

Dej New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Wow,its really surprising.... So,why did they apply if they know they can't meet the requirements??

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

They imagine the motivation will arrive in the post once they submit an application, I imagine. It's not unique to overseas applicants.

One of the big issues for overseas applicants is acclimatisation and cold weather injuries if they normally live in or near the equatorial tropical regions.

Whilst this isn't part of training, it's certainly a likely area of operations once trained:

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Dej

Dej New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Wow....I think the RN or RM should advice or fill 'em in on what they will face especially those living in tropical regions ,so they know its not child's play....

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

We just did :)

8. Dej

Dej New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Most RM overseas or Commonwealth applicants are not on this forum or website..I'm thinking maybe a list or video of what they'll face should be sent to various applicants.... If that's possible...but some of em might be discouraged....

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Those who genuinely want to be Royal Marines Commandos need to do their homework before they invest. The information is out there and the onus is on the individual to find out regardless of their origins.

Those applying and eligible will be given advice and guidance via letter/email throughout but there will be no exceptions made for those woefully unprepared or who do not heed the advice.

There are plenty of jobs in the UK Armed Forces that pay more and demand less but for those genuinely thinking of becoming a Royal Marines Commando, the individual simply needs to do their research or they'll have an expensive and disappointing trip to UK.

There's no easy or polite way of delivering that blunt message unfortunately.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

For those wondering - those holding passports from the following Commonwealth countries maybe eligible for a residency waiver - subject to meeting all other eligibility criteria:
    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Australia
    • Bangladesh
    • Barbados
    • Belize
    • Botswana
    • Brunei
    • Cameroon
    • Canada
    • Dominica
    • Fiji
    • The Gambia
    • Ghana
    • Grenada
    • Grenadines
    • Guyana
    • India
    • Jamaica
    • Kenya
    • Kiribati
    • Lesotho
    • Malawi
    • Malaysia
    • Malta*
    • Mauritius
    • Mozambique
    • Namibia
    • Nauru
    • New Zealand
    • Nigeria
    • Pakistan
    • Papua New Guinea
    • Republic of Cyprus*
    • Rwanda
    • Samoa
    • Seychelles
    • Sierra Leone
    • Singapore
    • Solomon Islands
    • South Africa
    • Sri Lanka
    • St Christopher and Nevis
    • St Lucia
    • St Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Swaziland
    • The Bahamas
    • Tonga
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • Tuvalu
    • Uganda
    • United Republic of Tanzania
    • Vanuatu
    • Zambia

11. Dej

Dej New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So, I'm confused about this cause I'm from Nigeria and I've never been to UK.....yes or no...what should I pick??

Attached Files:

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

No.

Did you call the overseas helpline first to register your interest as an overseas applicant?

That looks like an application for a person living in UK.

13. Dej

Dej New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Okay thanks