Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Commonwealth Citizens - Security Clearance

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by shakebody, Dec 26, 2018.

1. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Please how long does the security clearance take for Commonwealth applicants ??? Am really tired of waiting for my placement ..

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Thread spilt - not relevant to PRMC pass thread.
    It varies. Anything from 8 weeks upward due to the fact a residency waiver is required and it also depends on how fast the security services provide the information requested.

You'll need to produce a Police check print out to show you have a clean record with no previous unspent convictions or pending prosecutions. Usually they will ask for a couple of references from employers or education stating how long they have known you, confirming you are who you say you are, vouching for your integrity, reliability, punctuality and employment potential. In addition you'll need a letter of confirmation from your country's armed forces confirmind you have no former military service or if you have, to confirm you are no longer serving, your conduct whilst serving, category of discharge and confirmation that you have no recall (reservist) liability. If your country operates National Service or Conscription, they'll need to know you are free to join the UK Armed Forces without being recalled to serve in your own country. In addition, you will need to fully list your preceding five years home addresses.

Most overseas applicants come to UK to complete selection, then return home whilst waiting for security clearance - you need to be aware it can take several months - up to a year sometimes.

As you state you are tired of waiting for your placement - when did you apply and what are your phys statistics at present?

ie: What is you run time over 3 miles, how many back-handed pull-ups, close-arm press-ups and sit-ups can you do in 2 minutes? What is your best VO2 max score and what is your best distance achieved when swimming, at present?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  3. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thanks for the replies.....
    I Run 8kilometers In 45:11(fourthy five minutes eleven seconds)
    Running (5:51) (five minutes fifth one seconds) in every kilometers..
    20sit ups in 2 minutes
    60 press up..

4. 777-200

777-200 New Member

That's similar to me, we have a long way to go before ready for PRMC. Can you swim? How many pull-ups?

I'm 5'8" and 62kgs, so need to gain weight.

5. marriedwithchildren

marriedwithchildren Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Wow you need to improve your sit ups and running a lot, 5:51 a kilometre is really slow, you should aim at least for 4:30 a km. for few kilometres , plus you need to run 1.5mi/2.4km in less than 10:30 with 12min warm up run at pace 5min/km at least. My advice would be start doing shuttle runs, and 400m/600m/800m/1km sprints and some 50-60m hill sprints. Try arnys plan for a change and see how it goes. Good luck with your goals

6. 777-200

777-200 New Member

Like me, you need to be a lot, lot fitter before you apply if you are living in Nigeria because it will cost you a lot of wasted money travelling to Britain if you are not fit enough. Have you thought of joining the Royal Navy instead? I was looking at Engineering Technician, the fitness is much easier. I need to be able to swim better and am thinking of getting swimming lessons before I apply.

7. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thanks I really appreciate it..

8. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thanks... Although I have tried running the 2kilometer race and I did 4 minutes fr each race... Constant practice keeps the body going.. Plus your state of mind matters a lot...

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The state of mind is critical, but physical preparation is what gets you the job. Or doesn't.

For overseas applicants, particularly those living in warmer climates, it is vitally essential, before joining, they are fully acclimatised to the UK because NFCI is by far the biggest cause of training failures.

For those unaware, Non-Freezing Cold Injury (NFCI) is an injury of the hands or feet resulting from exposure to wet conditions and temperatures just above freezing, typically found in soldiers. NFCI is due to microvascular endothelial damage, stasis and vascular occlusion, or Trench Foot, apparently.

In UK, the temperatures in winter are typically under 5 degrees centigrade overnight and although the service provides adequate protective clothing, those from tropical climates need to be even more careful to ensure they wear the kit.

It's a pretty miserable experience operating in cold climates, living outdoors overnight for days on end, even for those fully acclimatised. It is far, far more difficult for those arriving in UK to attempt to undertake RM selection and training from geograpically tropical regions.

Forewarned is forearmed - don't underestimate the truly significant affect of the UK climate - lots and lots of people quit selection, let alone Recruit Training because of the cold.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dej

Dej New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Are u from Nigeria??

11. 777-200

777-200 New Member

No, UK.