Commonwealth Recruitment Insight

Lakevu

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wanted to put this question out there because its been bothering me for sometime now. Does anyone know how long the government is going to being waiving the residency requirement for? Is this now a forever thing or are they most likely going to turn it off some time in the future? Any help or insight you have into this would be greatly appreciated!!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wanted to put this question out there because its been bothering me for sometime now. Does anyone know how long the government is going to being waiving the residency requirement for? Is this now a forever thing or are they most likely going to turn it off some time in the future? Any help or insight you have into this would be greatly appreciated!!
The 5 year requirement for Commonwealth citizens to live in UK prior to being eligible to join the UK armed forces has been waived since November 2018 to help address the manning shortfall.

It is a temporary measure with a numbers-cap which is near achieving the maximum number of applicants permitted. The Royal Navy is now closed to applicants from Commonwealth applicants resident overseas to all branches except Royal Marines Commandos.

There were somewhere around 300 places available, 3000+ overseas applicants and, unless the government extends the waiver or increases the number permitted, the waiver is likely to be withdrawn this year.

Lakevu

Reaction score
The 5 year requirement for Commonwealth citizens to live in UK prior to being eligible to join the UK armed forces has been waived since November 2018 to help address the manning shortfall.

It is a temporary measure with a numbers-cap which is near achieving the maximum number of applicants permitted. The Royal Navy is now closed to applicants from Commonwealth applicants resident overseas to all branches except Royal Marines Commandos.

There were somewhere around 300 places available, 3000+ overseas applicants and, unless the government extends the waiver or increases the number permitted, the waiver is likely to be withdrawn this year.
Hi Stoker! Would you mind telling me what leads you to believe that the residency waiver will be recalled this year? From the research I've done it looks like the manpower shortage is getting even worse in some branches with the forces opening up all jobs to women and looking for older recruits to come back and re-enlist.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi Stoker! Would you mind telling me what leads you to believe that the residency waiver will be recalled this year? From the research I've done it looks like the manpower shortage is getting even worse in some branches with the forces opening up all jobs to women and looking for older recruits to come back and re-enlist.
As stated, once the number granted is reached, the waiver no longer applies...unless extended or increased. The number is governed by immigration regulations, not the Ministry of Defence.

Lakevu

Reaction score
As stated, once the number granted is reached, the waiver no longer applies...unless extended or increased. The number is governed by immigration regulations, not the Ministry of Defence.
Ahhh I see! I know before the 5yr residency waiver the uk was already allowing 200 people from the commonwealth to join without residency. Do you think they will go back to this old method or scrap the thing entirely?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ahhh I see! I know before the 5yr residency waiver the uk was already allowing 200 people from the commonwealth to join without residency. Do you think they will go back to this old method or scrap the thing entirely?
They stopped recruiting Commonwealth citizens who didn't meet the 5 years UK residency requirement for a number of years, prior to Nov 2018.

What will happen in future? I have no visibility of the political willpower to increase immigration from the Commonwealth but would hope it continues. Whether it will is anyone's guess but my advice is those thinking of applying but delaying it, could end-up kicking themselves rather than seizing the moment whilst able to.

Lakevu

Reaction score
They stopped recruiting Commonwealth citizens who didn't meet the 5 years UK residency requirement for a number of years, prior to Nov 2018.

What will happen in future? I have no visibility of the political willpower to increase immigration from the Commonwealth but would hope it continues. Whether it will is anyone's guess but my advice is those thinking of applying but delaying it, could end-up kicking themselves rather than seizing the moment whilst able to.
Yeahhh I would definitely be kicking myself if I missed an opportunity like that! I thought I might have read some where the MOD was trying to raise the cap from 200-300 to somewhere around 1350. Have you heard something similar to this??

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yeahhh I would definitely be kicking myself if I missed an opportunity like that! I thought I might have read some where the MOD was trying to raise the cap from 200-300 to somewhere around 1350. Have you heard something similar to this??
Nope. That said, I imagine it would be for all three arms of the UK armed forces.

FirebladeGB

Reaction score

So the application from Commonwealth applicants resident overseas is open only to Royal Marines Commandos ORs? or YOs as well? Actually I have been preparing to kick the process off next week...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
So the application from Commonwealth applicants resident overseas is open only to Royal Marines Commandos ORs? or YOs as well? Actually I have been preparing to kick the process off next week...
Officer applicants must have (besides any other) a British passport, last time I looked into it.

Hopefully @CHUB! or @The guide will confirm.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to update:

Commonwealth citizens applying to join the RN & RM who are not sure whether they meet residency requirements are advised to Register an Interest online. Eligibility will then be checked by the Overseas Desk at London AFCO. If eligible they will then offer to commence the selection process.

The FNG

Reaction score
Commonwealth + Irish YO applicant here, I was informed this week that I'm eligible to apply for Officer. Idk if its the Irish or the Commonwealth part that qualifies for YO, but it doesn't seem to be British only.

FirebladeGB

Reaction score
Commonwealth + Irish YO applicant here, I was informed this week that I'm eligible to apply for Officer. Idk if its the Irish or the Commonwealth part that qualifies for YO, but it doesn't seem to be British only.
You are right mate. I heard this from the overseas desk and now on the process.

"Commonwealth candidates with 5 years residency in the United Kingdom can apply for all Officer branches listed below. Additionally, there are limited direct recruitment spaces open to Commonwealth candidates without the requirement for 5 years residency in the United Kingdom until further notice."

Bucktrice

Reaction score
Supposing the wiaver ends this year.. what will be tha fate of those whose application was rejected and told to reapply in 6 months time..

best regards