company commanders role

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering, out of curiosity mainly what a commpany commanders role would be in a firefight?
would he attach himself to a troop?
run from troop to troop?

foggers

Reaction score
He would sit at the back with the CSM and organise himself as the RV point. Then send the first troop in as point troop while getting the other 2 troops to give support and to attack the enemy position. After the attack they will regroup at a small distance beyond the enemy position, looking for other possible enemy locations and awaiting further orders and making sure everyone and everything is okay.

I've just described a platoon attack that I learnt in CCF so at company level it might be different, and different again give the terrain and type of fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Not entirely sure how it would work but that would be my guess, and not necessarily at the back but deffinately in some sort of cover somewhere.

Reaction score
As the Troop Commander moves his Sections to take on the enemy, the Company Commander moves his Troops. It's really that simple! The Company Commander also has many more assets such as Fast Air support or Indirect Fires that he can bring down on the enemy. He obviously would not be right at the front, but close enough to know what is going on. His personal positioning is down to his own preference and how he reads and interprets the situation and threat.

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
oh just another quick question.
If troop commanders are 2nd leuitenants and company commanders are Majors what command is given to captains?

Reaction score
Captain's also get Troop Commands, it's a bit complicated. I am not going to try and explain seniority as I have done it plenty of times on the site and it's not an easy one to explain.

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to be asking for more of your time but i have been searching the threads and all i can find is that captains are "senior troop commanders".
Does this mean if you want you could be a troop commander up until Major?(not saying this is what i would like to do but would be nice to have the option)
Also it sais that after passing phase 2 training you are extremely unlikely to get another troop command.
Could you please clarify one of these answers for me.

Reaction score
When you pass out of Lympstone (Dec) you are still a 2Lt until you pass phase two training (following Sept) when you get promoted to Capt if you have a degree or are over 21 on joining training. If you are not over 21, you become a Lt. Despite this, you are alll doing the same Troop Command job until Dec when the next batch takes over when they pass out. Is this all clear?
You can do further Troop Command appointments at the rank of Capt such as a Heavy Weapons Troop Command, Recce Troop Command (you must be an ML to do this one), Sigs Troop Command or Recruit Troop Command to name a few.
However, the jobs you get at Capt rank are determined by a Major who is known as 'The Appointer' as he appoints officers to their positions. In order to best prepare yourself for promotion to Maj, it helps to have done a few other jobs such as Staff roles or positions in the HQ of a Unit. That is how you work your career until you come into line for promotion for Major. To be honest, not all of the jobs at Capt rank will be great by comparison with Troop Commanding but you need to develop your experience. Like I said before, it is not all dagger between the teeth stuff! That said, any job in the Corps beats any job I've seen in Civy street. Your career will be enormously varied and interesting which is one the major reasons I joined. Even if you get a job that's not that great, you can then push yourself forward for one you will enjoy next time. Remember, the salary for an RM Officer is substantially higher than that of a Marine. They pay you to think and in order to further develop your career, you will have to understand the wider workings of the Corps and even the RN.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
HHHNNN,

Sorry to interupt HHHNNN and hijack this thread but what did you want your user name changed to from GaryGlittersKids, sent a few PM's mate but didn't get a reply. Can leave as HHHNNN if you like?

Sorry will let you get back to your conversation now.

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
thanks RMRO, cleared up alot for me. Greywing you can just leave it as HHHNNN if you want.