compartment syndrome

NiKs4

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new to the forum and thought i would start off by saying hello. I joined the marines last july and did 14 weeks of training however after 18 weeks ( 4 in hunter company ) left do to compartment syndrome. Im waiting for an operation to fix this so I can start to get fit again. Im looking at joining the rmr after I have had my op and my fitness is back to normal however just wonderd if anybody noes weather ill be accepted after having compartment syndrome. any help would be much apprieciated.

sooty795

Reaction score
The Tri-Service medical guidance notes state the following may be a bar to entry (regardless of which service):

Musculoskeletal disorders

Any abnormality that interferes with the ability to undertake military training.
Spinal abnormalities. Certain spinal operations. Recurrent back pain or sciatica.
Joint disease, pain or limitation of joint movement. Hypermobility (laxity)
of the joints, Bone or joint operations within the last 12 months. Anterior
cruciate ligament reconstruction (subject to slngle Service policy). Recurrent
joint dislocations. Severe deformity following fractures. Loss of a Iimb. Foot
abnormalities (e.g. club foot, hammer toe). Complete loss of either big toe.
Complete loss of either thumb. Arthritis and similar conditions.

It's definitely worth seeing your GP & getting it positively diagnosed & treated before you possibly cause further injury. At the very least, switch to non-impact CV exercise until you have seen your Doc.

hope the above helps, from my similar experience i would say, get the op you need done, be 12 months clear of doctors physios etc then re apply, then keep your fingers crossed, at the end of the day it doesn`t matter what people say on here it`s down to the doctor on your Medical.

just a though did you get medically discharged?

NiKs4

Reaction score
Hi sooty, Thanks for the help. I wasent medically discarged as i was advised by the doctor in lympstone to leave and rejoin once my injury was fixed! Im waiting for the op at the moment and the doctors think that it will be fully repared after surgury. but im planning on training for a year before i apply to rejoin anyway as i want to make sure this dosent happern again.

thanks again

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I sincerely hope your operation goes well and you get up to the required fitness levels for another go. To go through all that and go back im positive you will get the green beret.

All the best!

NiKs4

Reaction score
Thanks chris much appreciated, I hope with a little hard work in my training that the doctor at my medical will atleast consider me, it has to be worth a shot. Good look with prmc and rt. Its all hard work but also rewarding when you see what you have achieve as training starts to progress.

smithy85

Reaction score
Hi, just quick reply, i had compartment syndrome in one of my legs and had an operation on it, waited 12 months to be free from any doc's or physio and passed my medical fine, have my PRMC next week. All the MO said was that if it re-occurs it may need looking at again but i'm running fine now so fingers crossed i've finally got it sorted. Could you not have stayed in Hunter while it recovered or maybe had the op through the RM? keep positive and keep your cardio up how ever u can, swim cross train or bike. i didnt and it was hard work getting back up to a good phys level.

NiKs4

Reaction score
Thanks smithy you have made my day :) Least now i no there is a good chance of coming back. I could have stayed in hunter company however they dont do the op for you. Also the docs told me that if it was sucsesfuly dianosed as compartment syndrome then I would be medically discarged anyway, and because I wanted to be able to ruturn If I had to leave I decided that opt out was the best option for me.

Thanks again for the reply Tom