Competency & Proficiency Question...(RMR/4 para/21/23)

Hammerhead26

Reaction score
Firstly, immensely grateful for this forum and I ask this question humbly.

With respects to RMR, 4 para, 21/22 SAS, etc… when it comes to these respected units, and this is in no-way a knock on them as a whole or the lads’ individual efforts, but how effective are they?

How effective a para, boot neck, a trooper could one be? Skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience gained over a multiple weekend, a few 2-week camps etc spread throughout their obviously testing (to say the least) pipelines. How capable are these units and how effectively could a GDM in the RMR fulfil a respected role asked of them on ops with say, 40, 42, 45 etc.

Maybe I don’t fully understand the role of these reserve units, but I ask this because I am strongly considering RMR and potentially 4 para as viable options being an hour 20’s drive from me but these are questions that I’m wrestling with.

(I have contacted the respected units to attend a drill night or two from a back seat to hopefully get a better first hand feel for them and ask serving/striving lads these questions but as a widely humorous, yet sensible forum I thought I would put the questions here).

I have more questions which I hope to ask as a result of sparking a discussion.

Many Thanks Dudes!

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
I suppose this is a valid question and I could react in a number of ways - taking offence, telling you to do more research. However I wouldn’t be a wise person - as you are doing exactly that.

from an RMR perspective there is a concept that a RMR rank is trained to a standard where - within a short period of “beat up” training they will be operationally ready. I can’t recall the official length however I want to say 2-3 weeks. You have to remember a reservist is a substitute and gets called up to augment the main fighting force. They are not QRF.

The type of person you are - in my opinion - also is important. If you are switched on, keep your drills and knowledge sharp and undertake the role professionally then if and when you go to unit you will fly. If you are slopppy and go to unit, then chances are you wouldn’t be sent in the first place but you would also have a rude awakening. That said even units have very able/professional and not so able/professional lads.

my question to lads - who ask this type of questions is - what are you looking to get from the reserves and what is your motivation

Hammerhead26

Reaction score
Solid reply. thank you @R4Robtics, I'm aware this could be quite an incendiary question when probing competency of lads doing things I have yet to attempt but I feel its a valid question.

I mean just from purely an outside perspective... how could one not be curious as to how someone for lack of a better term on a "part time" basis would stand up when requested and compare competently with those who are fully committed to their trade... which lets be real, has life and death consequence.

for example 21/22 SAS...tier 1, tier 2, 1st Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Brigade blah blah blah whatever their debatable role is in 2020, their still SF and expected to be tough as nails and operate at the highest level in whatever is tasked of them and yet you can enlist from civvy street do your Phase 1 and 2 training and if you crack their pipeline, your badged in 12 months... give or take. Yet 22, monsters with real world experience in their full time craft, fit as fiddles crumble and get s-hit canned at a ridiculous rate on their more arduous selection pipeline.

My motivation is this: I want to look back on my life with pride and know that within the parameters of my commitments, I did everything I wanted to and said no to nothing. I seek no pats on the back, no future recognition etc... I simply want to solider at the highest standard I can (all be it part time) with highly motivated and capable individuals and say "yes" to all the opportunities I can, whilst I can.

Appreciate your replies in advance - I'm trying to be as respectful as possible and probe a tough subject I have limited experience on.

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
Things change, so I might be wrong. However last time I heard - 21 were no longer under UKSF due to their role when compared to UKSF units.

I feel that your question re: skill set has been answered. Ie, it’s acknowledged that reservists requires a short period of operational training to bring them to full strength.

If you are a motivated individual, with high standards and professionalism. You can align yourself to the standards and professionalism expected of you in the regular Corps and be the best you can be - within the parameters.

If you are then looking to challenge yourself the SBS(R) is then another option that will become available. This unit are still under UKSF.

I can not comment on 21with great experience - however I wouldn’t under estimate the fail rate or the standards that have to be achieved

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Just add further, although better qualified than I may chip in. Joining 21/23 SAS with no prior military experience is a little misleading these days. Before you attempt the selection course you must first complete the basic military training courses. According to the official careers page this will mean being sponsored out to a recommended AR unit to complete basic training and the reserve Combat Infantry course ( 2 week infantry training).

Once you are a trained rank you then undergo progressively arduous course of drill nights and weekends over several months. This is designed to prepare applicants for the rigours of the Briefing Assessment Course and Aptitude phase of selection. Basically before you commence selection you’ll be a trained rank. So a few hoops to jump through first. Sorry to pull off topic, just wanted to lay some foundations of fact ahead of a discussion. This topic was covered, with some passion, before. I’ll link below.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
21/23 are back under UKSF though also seem to remain part of 1 ISTAR Brigade at the same time.

Without divulging any actual numbers if you go for a brief with them you may be surprised that their pass rates are higher than you'd expect with the main failures being due to the commitment. As I was told "to succeed you ideally need to be single, living at home, unemployed or self-employed, because the demands of the course are nearer to a full time role and once you complete the course most members of the unit do it exclusively as their full time job".

Periphery

Reaction score
I don't think 21/23 fall under Special Forces anymore, SFSG pretty much took their place.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I don't think 21/23 fall under Special Forces anymore, SFSG pretty much took their place.

Reserve

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
21 & 23 SAS are an integrated part of UKSF group. DSF disclosure cell restricts information in line with MOD policy.
21 & 23 SAS squadrons are located across the UK. If you submit an initial enquiry of interest you will be contacted by a member of their regimental recruitment team