Completed foundation

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alrite lads. Had my families day yesterday and now I'm enjoying my long weekend. Because I live pretty far I didn't see much point in going back home so I'm staying in a hotel near exeter over the weekend. I'm on a library computer at the moment now haha

Anyway I start week 4 of training this Monday and we won't have our lumi tabs anymore!

It's been a rollercoaster for me. Theres been days were I wanted to leave so badly and other days were I'm convinced I want to stay. But theres always times were you'll want to leave. I get a moment usually everyday and I'm not the only one.

The first week was the hardest and longest for me. Because you are still use to civi life it was a massive shock for all of us. Getting up early was really hard and constantly being on your feet and doing things was knackering. But by the 2nd week you start to get use to it.

The first couple of weeks are mega *text deleted**text deleted*. Lots of lectures and LOTS of admin. I think it's day 3 when you go down to stores and get *text deleted**text deleted* loads of kit. And you have to put all this kit in your locker the way it's meant to be displayed. You have demonstrations on polishing boots, washing, folding your clothes A4 loads of *text deleted* stuff like that and you get regular inspections in the morning of your locker.

All I can say is don't fall behind with your admin otherwise you'll end up flapping and panicing about it because you'll think your faling behind and make sure you get to know the lads as you all need to help each other out.

The second week is still pretty *text deleted**text deleted*e but it flew by to be honest. We went out into the field over night for exercise 'first step' which was pretty good. But when you come back you have to clean ALL your kit and get it all back in your locker how its meant to be. Again this was when I started to feel depressed, but once its all done and out the way you can crack on again. So just get your admin done as quick as you can fellas. Don't think about it, just do it. Or if in doubt, iron it out!

Week 3 is a lot better than the previous weeks. You move into 6 man rooms which is awesome and you know you have a long weekend coming up.

Anyway I can't think of any specifics to tell you guys at the moment but I'll post them if i can think of anything. I'll only be here for a couple of hours, I doubt I'll get chance to get post tomorrow so post any questions quick if you have any!

---
Before you start training I'd practice ironing things into A4. Practice folding and ironing your clothes into an A4 size because then you can fly through it when you get all your kit.

Also people spent a ridiculous amount of time shining their drill boot toe caps. You have to make the toe caps realy shiney by using a technique were you wet the cloth (i lick it) put a tiny bit of polish and lightly rub it into the toe cap. Do that until it dries and pretty much repeat until it gets realy shiney.

Ermm.. also make sure you memorize your recruit number asap. You have to report a lot of the times which is were you say 'Corporal, I am xxxxxxxx, recruit ____ of ___ troop' so you need to know your number.

Sometimes you have a stupid amount of time to do things. Such as 5 minutes to get a shower, get changed and be all fallen outside. Well they do this on purpose because they know you won't all do it. But instead of flying outside when you are done, help out your oppos. The training team would much prefer you all come out together late and help each other out than you gradually streaming out 1 by 1.

Don't flap too much about the physical side. The training is progressive and pretty easy at first. You'll really have no problem with the fizz if you pass PRMC so just concentrate more on preparing yourself for other things like becoming an admin pro!

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet! Cheers for that.

Couple of Q's.

Why are you in a BnB? Do you get kicked out of the base or you're with your family?

When you get into 6 man rooms, are the rooms alphabetical to your last names or do you get to choose amongst yourselves?

Also, when did you get the first fitness assessment?

Cheers.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet! Cheers for that.

Couple of Q's.

Why are you in a BnB? Do you get kicked out of the base or you're with your family?

When you get into 6 man rooms, are the rooms alphabetical to your last names or do you get to choose amongst yourselves?

Also, when did you get the first fitness assessment?

Cheers.

I live over 300 miles away and I figured by time I got home I'd literally just have 1 full day to chill out then I'd have to travel back early Sunday to get back. All that hassle for 1 free day isn't worth it in my opinion so I'm just chilling out around Exter with my folks instead :)

You don't get kicked out, some lads stayed particularly one from St.Vincent and another from South Africa. But even if you live locally you can stay on the base but I'd recomend to go get a hotel or something just to get away from a while and recharage your batteries.

Errm the 6 man rooms are done in sections. The entire troop was divided into 4 sections, each section with about 12-13 people in but people get moved around when people start to leave to keep them even. The sectons are completely random, they aren't determined by surname or anything like that. I'm in section 2 and section 2 has 2 6 man rooms next to each other.

And our 1st fitness assesment was in week 1 around day 4 I think it was. It was literaly gym test 1 all over again. Press up test, sit-up test, pull-up test and bleep test. But the difference this time was that the press-up and sit-up test were done to bleeps instead of many as you can in 2 minutes. The press-ups stopped at 60 and the sit-ups 85. Pull-ups went to about 12 I think.

But to be honest, I've noticed everyone worries about the fitness assesments and getting fit for training like I did. You'll never feel like leaving during fizz, I know I don't. It's the lack of sleep and the loads of crapy admin you have to do when you feel like leaving. So really don't flap too much about the fitness side but try and prepare yourself for the lifestyle as much as you can.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
What do you mean by ironing things into A4? I don't get it.

Anywhere that shows you how to fold/iron properly cause I'm *text deleted**text deleted* at it.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the post woody, and for putting the time in to write it esp on your long weekend, nice one. Good luck mate.

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
basically on board ships there isnt much space at all, so what they get u to do to get all *text deleted* kit small is iron everything into A4 (my cousin told me this who is a cpl in the marines) and then stack it up.

willjer

Reaction score
haha wasson woddy my son hows *text deleted* hotel, cant wait to get bak in the grot agen n get 3 more weeks cracked lots of love. melville xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good effort mate, good luck when you get back to CTC.

Does anyone know if theres anywhere that shows you how to iron/fold into a4? Ive tried but it turns out *text deleted**text deleted*e. Cheers.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Same as above, does anyone know how you can practice and how it can be put into A4? ive tryed and i suck at it *text deleted*.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah get a magazine they are usually A4 size, lay your shirt or what ever on a table, put the magazine in the middle of the shirt, fold the sides of the shirt over the top of the magazine along with the sleeves...use your head on what to do next :saythat: practice makes perfect, so much so you'll be folding shirts without using a magazine (globe & laurel) and you will know the right size off top of your head as you will have done it that much, can take a few seconds for a t shirt once you get good at it.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah get a magazine they are usually A4 size, lay your shirt or what ever on a table, put the magazine in the middle of the shirt, fold the sides of the shirt over the top of the magazine along with the sleeves...use your head on what to do next :saythat: practice makes perfect, so much so you'll be folding shirts without using a magazine (globe & laurel) and you will know the right size off top of your head as you will have done it that much, can take a few seconds for a t shirt once you get good at it.

Cant a just take a magazine :)

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

*text deleted* i use my copy of the globe and laurel hahaha

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
good post mate , im so looking forward for mine all to start , i have to get the phycometric test out the way first

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
good luck with the rest of your training

I'm mastering the art of 'The Iron' how long does it take you to iron and square away say 10 shirts, just for reference so I know how fast I should be doing it

New Threads