Compression socks

MRR46

Reaction score
Just a quick one, are you aloud to wear compression socks on exercise in recruit training/rop?

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
You'll be issued everything including pants and socks. If you're caught wearing anything else in the field the Team will want to know why. If anything suggests you may be carrying an injury who knows you could find yourself in the med centre and that is not where you want to be. Wouldn't bother on exercise.

If you're into compression gear, recovery leggings during the evenings or to sleep may be your best option. I wore them towards end of training. Infact was encouraged to by our training team.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You'll be issued everything including pants and socks. If you're caught wearing anything else in the field the Team will want to know why. If anything suggests you may be carrying an injury who knows you could find yourself in the med centre and that is not where you want to be. Wouldn't bother on exercise.

If you're into compression gear, recovery leggings during the evenings or to sleep may be your best option. I wore them towards end of training. Infact was encouraged to by our training team.

What about if you're just taping your legs as a preventative measure? Can understand if that's not allowed either

Rob20

Reaction score
What about if you're just taping your legs as a preventative measure? Can understand if that's not allowed either

Same again. It could indicate injury. Honestly its not needed anyway. You'll be riddled with knocks and niggles. The right guy will just crack on.

J9R4W

Reaction score
Same again. It could indicate injury. Honestly its not needed anyway. You'll be riddled with knocks and niggles. The right guy will just crack on.
On that issue of knocks/niggles in RT, is it expected that recruits would press-on with training regardless of niggles/pain as long it's not bad enough to actually stop them performing properly? (I.e, knee pain or shin splints when running)

Rob20

Reaction score
On that issue of knocks/niggles in RT, is it expected that recruits would press-on with training regardless of niggles/pain as long it's not bad enough to actually stop them performing properly? (I.e, knee pain or shin splints when running)

Joing the Royal Marines Commandos. What do you think?

J9R4W

Reaction score
Right got you; so if 'injured' you won't be back trooped as long as you can still meet the standard in training.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
There’s a difference between actually injured which will result in back trooping. And then there’s having niggles and twisted socks or as the training team refers to such behaviour as being beef. And the amount of lads that will play up their niggles for a hunter holiday is astonishing. Don’t be that bloke.

Rob20

Reaction score
You're outlook on things will change. At the start of training you'll think a sprained ankle warrants sympathy. By commando phase you'll see lads finish 30 milers on fractured feet, everyone will be carrying some form or knock. Its just a mental state you get to where you'll crack on til you drop.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'll chuck something else in for consideration:

Be mindful of the difference between a niggle and an issue which requires medical attention. Lads on this forum have been sent home for several weeks because their feet literally fell apart during RT (caused by their own poor drills) and they concealed it.

Someone else on this forum in recent years ended up in Royal Devon & Exeter hospital on a drip because 'Woodbury rash' translated into borderline sepsis because he concealed it.

Both issues and the inevitable back troopings might have been addressed by a timely visit to the Med Centre even if a bollocking was the price to pay.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'll chuck something else in for consideration:

Be mindful of the difference between a niggle and an issue which requires medical attention. Lads on this forum have been sent home for several weeks because their feet literally fell apart during RT (caused by their own poor drills) and they concealed it.

Someone else on this forum in recent years ended up in Royal Devon & Exeter hospital on a drip because 'Woodbury rash' translated into borderline sepsis because he concealed it.

Both issues and the inevitable back troopings might have been addressed by a timely visit to the Med Centre even if a bollocking was the price to pay.
I agree. This hasn't happened to me in military training, but I picked up an injury while playing hockey,and then i rolled my ankle badly in the same area a few weeks later, but I neglected it and carried on doing running and sports until it was too painful to even touch. What at first turned out to be a small injury, is now an injured tendon (which trust me you dont want) and requires me to go to physo. And now I've had to stop all my running etc.
So if you pick up an injury while exercising for whatever reason make sure its fully healed before you start training again otherwise you will end up like me.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The other thing is you won't do as much running as you think to start off with. Even on exercise a lot of it is learning the skills and drills you need. When you do run it will be to ither keep you warm or as a punishment for messing up. You won't be running miles and miles every day.